Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

De-winterize or not before bringing it home ?

Our new TT is supposed to be ready for pickup mid January (not holding my breath). We got a super deal on a 2703WS built to our specs. YAY

The one teensy thing I overlooked, was the need to fetch the unit from Grand Rapids Michigan in January. Or February.

Being a former Yankee, driving in the snow and ice will not be a problem. We'll rather enjoy the road trip from Houston, Texas to Grand Rapids,MI stopping by Chicago to see my niece along the way.

The original idea was to spend the first night using the trailer in the parking lot of the dealership to make sure everything works before we pull off the lot. We are planning on at least a 3 day drive back to Texas.

The question; should we de-winterize / use / re-winterize for the trip home? OR de-winterize / use / drive home running the heat ? OR haul it home and get any hidden flaws fixed 'round these parts? We are fixin' to use the trailer on the way home for sleeping.

We have a Honda 3000 genny in the bed of the tow veehickle. By the time we get back to Houston it will be camping season as our winter should end by Thursday.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler View Post
Our new TT is supposed to be ready for pickup mid January (not holding my breath). We got a super deal on a 2703WS built to our specs. YAY

The one teensy thing I overlooked, was the need to fetch the unit from Grand Rapids Michigan in January. Or February.

Being a former Yankee, driving in the snow and ice will not be a problem. We'll rather enjoy the road trip from Houston, Texas to Grand Rapids,MI stopping by Chicago to see my niece along the way.

The original idea was to spend the first night using the trailer in the parking lot of the dealership to make sure everything works before we pull off the lot. We are planning on at least a 3 day drive back to Texas.

The question; should we de-winterize / use / re-winterize for the trip home? OR de-winterize / use / drive home running the heat ? OR haul it home and get any hidden flaws fixed 'round these parts? We are fixin' to use the trailer on the way home for sleeping.

We have a Honda 3000 genny in the bed of the tow veehickle. By the time we get back to Houston it will be camping season as our winter should end by Thursday.
DO NOT LEAVE THE LOT WITHOUT A THROUGH WALK THRU OF ALL SYSTEMS. You need to know everything works and why. Water, gas, electric. Everything. You need to know where everything is. Kinda hard to do when winterized. Rig needs to be inside and dewinterized.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #3

Just remember to take it easy if the weather is bad, even those who live up here year round generally forget their winter driving skills over the summer...

Also, you may be worrying more than is needed. Weather could be warm enough that no winterization is needed. Grand Rapids has had 69 degree highes in February! Watch the weather and try to schedule to hit a warm spell. Even better weather odds if you can delay into March. In any case, great odds that Kentucky and south will be warm enough to be de-winterized.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Our eyes will be glued to the weather channel for sure !

While the truck is 4x4 with a very aggressive thread, if there is any ice we are off the road. Some snow we can handle, but we don't own snow chains or drag chains.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Just remember to take it easy if the weather is bad, even those who live up here year round generally forget their winter driving skills over the summer...

Also, you may be worrying more than is needed. Weather could be warm enough that no winterization is needed. Grand Rapids has had 69 degree highes in February! Watch the weather and try to schedule to hit a warm spell. Even better weather odds if you can delay into March. In any case, great odds that Kentucky and south will be warm enough to be de-winterized.
This... just wait for a week or so over 30ish.
Mmwtdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Our eyes will be glued to the weather channel for sure !

While the truck is 4x4 with a very aggressive thread, if there is any ice we are off the road. Some snow we can handle, but we don't own snow chains or drag chains.
FWIW, snow tires are illegal in Michigan and I don't know anyone who has used chains... Road commissions generally get the roads cleared pretty quickly after a storm - and they use LOTS of salt.

And to make you feel a bit better, I'll be hooking ours up and heading for Texas by the end of January. Planning our first stop near Louisville KY and will stop there for a couple days of camping before moving on.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Yeah, I'm not worried about the roads. Just curious about de-winterizing or not
Old 01-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #8

I think I would de-winterize, use the trailer on the dealer's lot for a couple of days to get familiar and make sure everything works, then re-winterize and take it home. The PDI guys might even check it over to make sure you got everything re-winterized correctly and didn't miss anything.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #9

And you might have to call your niece and say "hello". I'm not sure I would want to pull that trailer in Chicago, especially if there is still snow piled up on city streets.

Congratulations on the new unit, and good luck.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #10
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

We were fixin to stop on the way up to visit then head to GR.

While it may be faster to drive the same way back, we will look into driving directly south to avoid lake effect snow. Or is that not a thing like it is in western NY?
Old 01-03-2018, 01:05 AM   #11

Quote:
We were fixin to stop on the way up to visit then head to GR.

While it may be faster to drive the same way back, we will look into driving directly south to avoid lake effect snow. Or is that not a thing like it is in western NY?
GR gets a lot of lake effect. Once you get down into Indiana the effect goes away pretty quick. Seldom get winds blowing south for any length of time. That and with the temps we have now, Lake Michigan should be pretty much frozen over - reducing the snow impact. Biggest snow impact is usually WSW of open water. Indiana snow is more likely cause by gulf moisture running into northern cold weather.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
FWIW, snow tires are illegal in Michigan and I don't know anyone who has used chains... Road commissions generally get the roads cleared pretty quickly after a storm - and they use LOTS of salt.

And to make you feel a bit better, I'll be hooking ours up and heading for Texas by the end of January. Planning our first stop near Louisville KY and will stop there for a couple days of camping before moving on.
Houston,plan your trip in regards to Weather, NOT Dates! SailerSam,where is that Info on "Snow Tires Illegal in Mi."? Studs are Illegal but Not Snow Tires! Youroo !!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #13

What I would do:

1. Ask the dealer to winderize with anti-freeze.

2. Buy 5 gallons extra somewhere cheap. My local Walmart is selling minus 50 degree for under $4 a gallon. It can be mixed one to one and still give you minus 10 degree protection.

3. Add it to your fresh tank. You will have sufficient liquid to use for the toilet and testing for leaks. The pink color should help you spot leaks quicker.

4. Use bottled water for drinking/washing.

Last suggestion: Stay off of salted roads that have any liquid on them. Wash the chassis when you get home.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #14

Lake effect?

Click image for larger version

Name:	301DB1E5-45F2-4508-9413-09BFA116FCB6.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	470.1 KB
ID:	159534
We live about 25 miles from Grand Rapids. It has been snowing for days. This is a picture of our backyard. Although the weather could change by the time you come, make sure you watch the weather reports. Right now it is so cold the salt is not working to melt the ice on the roads.
Robertgorsline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #15

It's been Sub zero up in Ohio and Michigan the last week till today a balmy 12 degrees.

I'd no take off without it being winterized or you'll be replacing aot of burst water lines and maybe your ta ks as well.
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #16

I would not de-winterize in Michigan. Run anti-freeze through the system; taps, toilets etc as if it was water, but even an overnight in sub-zero temps can cause damage to fittings etc.
I blew the connections in my 2013 Forest River motor home in one sub-zero night on the range.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Houston,plan your trip in regards to Weather, NOT Dates! SailerSam,where is that Info on "Snow Tires Illegal in Mi."? Studs are Illegal but Not Snow Tires! Youroo !!
My bad, I was thinking studded tires. FWIW, at least in my area, few people even get the non-studded tires. I did see that chains are OK if the roads are slippery. I haven't noticed anyone driving with them....
Old 01-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
When I picked up my New 2017 EVO a month ago it was cold and we had freezing Temps. I made the dealer De-winterize the trailer including Turning the water heater bypass valves to off so it could be filled. I then had them fill the FW tank with water so I could check all of the plumbing for leaks and to make sure the water heater and all hot water taps worked, as well as the furnace. Did not want to heat the Hot water tank with RV antifreeze in it. When done after 3 hour PDI, I took the unit home about 10 miles. The temp was 34 deg F and I immediately Winterized it. If it was freezing out I would have taken the RV antifreeze with me to the dealers or else had them re-winterize it. Don't leave the Dealers without checking everything and making sure any items that need fixing are done before leaving the dealers. Once off of the lot and gone You are SOL promises don't mean anything unless in writing.
Been there done that.
Mel
Old 01-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #19
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
What I would do:

1. Ask the dealer to winderize with anti-freeze.

2. Buy 5 gallons extra somewhere cheap. My local Walmart is selling minus 50 degree for under $4 a gallon. It can be mixed one to one and still give you minus 10 degree protection.

3. Add it to your fresh tank. You will have sufficient liquid to use for the toilet and testing for leaks. The pink color should help you spot leaks quicker.

4. Use bottled water for drinking/washing.

Last suggestion: Stay off of salted roads that have any liquid on them. Wash the chassis when you get home.

I would not put antifreeze in my fresh tank if you held a gun to my head. Unless you fresh tank is 100% full with no airspace, it can freeze with no issues.

I lived that hell once with an RV I bought where the previous owner just dumped 20 gallons of antifreeze in the fresh tank and pumped it through the system. No matter how much I tried and worked, I could never get the faint taste out of the water. It reacted especially bad with the coffee.

never again.
Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #20

As mentioned, do a thorough job on the PDI. Don't skimp on anything. Plan a contingency day just in case they need to work on any items.

Regarding homebound travel, it really depends on your trailer and the weather.

Underbelly sealed/insulated or tank heaters/above freezing daytime:
Do not winterize. Plan to drive the trailer ONLY in above freezing temps. Enjoy your trailer on the way home. Might check campgrounds to see if they are open and have water at the sites (RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks). We found some northern campgrounds do not have water at each site. You might need to provision a heated or insulated fresh water hose. Note, when the temps go below freezing run your furnace or water tank heaters.

Underbelly not sealed/insulated and temps will hit freezing day or night:
I would leave it winterized and use water bottles. Put a gallon of RV antifreeze in the black/gray holding tanks and you can use the bottled water to flush/brush teeth.

We do camp a lot when the temps are below freezing. With a sealed/insulated underbelly and valves, we can depart when it is below freezing as long as it is forecasted to get above freezing in a few hours.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize