Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #21
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPalazzo View Post
NO - 'registration' is totally DIFFERENT from the RV Manufacturers MODEL YEAR Stated in the RV PURCHASE paperwork. What the 'state' says for your vehicle registration has NOTHING to do with the RV's YEAR MODEL. This has been covered by MANY threads on this and other forums. The RV Factory has the FINAL SAY in the year model, not the state registration, or the chassis 'year'.
Some states are determined to ONLY use the actual vehicle chassis year model, but MOST states are smart enough to understand that the RV world can take some 'time' to complete an RV build, and therefore default to use the RV FACTORY'S model year determination, which is ALSO what you use when purchasing or SELLING the RV.
I don't think it's a matter of the state being smart enough, but rather what the state law says. In my state, both VINs are recorded on the title. For a new MH you must present both MCO's with your application for title and registration. The registration will only list the MH VIN, and not the chassis VIN. If you move to Alaska and your current title/registration only has only the MH VIN you are required to have the chassis VIN verified by the Troopers in order to obtain an Alaska Title/Registration (free service). Alaska Statutes dictate that the chassis is a motor vehicle.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #22

It is important to ote that when you register this RV in another state that the title (especially FL) the year on the title must be consistent with the year on your insurance for the RV. I had to jump through loops to ensure thus was done before I was able to get FL tags.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #23

I just purchased a 2021 Sunseeker with a 2018 Transit diesel chassis. Picked it up with 858 miles. Registered as a 2021 FR Sunseeker and has full Ford 5yr 100,000 mile warranty. It regesters as the MH not the chassis.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:14 PM   #24

I purchase a 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD Silverado that was actually built in March of 2014 per the VIN number. It is titled as a 2015.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #25

As I see it, it isn't a matter of what the various States do when registering a MH. It is a matter of transparency on the part of the dealer. How hard is it for a dealership to note the two different dates of manufacture to buyers? Buyers ethically deserve to know what they are buying.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #26
NXR

I went through this BS in Ohio because the DMV people did not know how to title a motorhome. Four freakin' titles before they got it correct. They accepted the default setting of the VIN model year rather than the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin model year.

No way was I going to have a 2020 model year motorhome with a title that said "2019 Ford". That would be a problem at resale time.

In fact, the insurance company did exactly the same thing and it took several go arounds with them before they would insure it as a 2020. That would have affected the value if the thing gets totaled.

Ray
Old 07-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPalazzo View Post
NO - 'registration' is totally DIFFERENT from the RV Manufacturers MODEL YEAR Stated in the RV PURCHASE paperwork. What the 'state' says for your vehicle registration has NOTHING to do with the RV's YEAR MODEL. This has been covered by MANY threads on this and other forums. The RV Factory has the FINAL SAY in the year model, not the state registration, or the chassis 'year'.
Some states are determined to ONLY use the actual vehicle chassis year model, but MOST states are smart enough to understand that the RV world can take some 'time' to complete an RV build, and therefore default to use the RV FACTORY'S model year determination, which is ALSO what you use when purchasing or SELLING the RV.
I'll disagree with what you say. I bought a supposingly 2017 Georgetown Class A 31L5 in NH. Went to register in Mass with all the manufacturers paperwork. Factory stated 2017. Salesman, a friend, was telling me thats it good that it was a 2017 because 2018 were going up 15K. Got to Mass DMV they checked into something came back and told me it was a 2018. I said paperwork everything from FR and Dealer stated 2017. He was looking into some database that stated it was an 18. Called Dealer, they called Factory took over a week. It went back and forth with the factory trying to explain it was a 17. Registry wouldn't budge, in the end it was an 18 even though FR claimed it was a 17 they redid all the paperwork labeling it as a 2018. My buddy laughed because thinking it was a 17 they, dealership,, gave me a great deal... now they lost money perhaps in the end. Funny thing is the chassis paperwork stated 2017 but something with the VIN sealed it as an 18. Weird, I know, but true story. Was frustrating to boot because, at one time factory refused to budge...
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:35 PM   #28

I have a 2019 chassis with a July 2020 build of my Georgetown and it is registered as a 2020! Ford is honoring a ac compressor failure as a warranty item. Awaiting a new compressor to be shipped! Compressor failed at 6800 miles!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:01 PM   #29

When you say registration, do you mean the MFG date on the chassis?

The vehicle is never typically registered until sold.

Once sold, it should only be registered as the year the vehicle manufacturer specified (in this case the motorhome manufacturer). The date Ford built it isn't relevant for registration because as an incomplete vehicle, it can't be registered as it's not road worthy or legal as an incomplete vehicle.
It's also the motorhome manufacturer, as the completed vehicle manufacturer, who supplies the title as a marketable vehicle.

I don't know of any state where it works differently.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
Selling a 2019 vehicle as a 2021 model is at best deceptive and at worst criminal. How hard is it to tell the truth?
As previous posts have already noted, the model year of the chassis can deviate from the year of the RV that's built on the frame. Covid caused shutdown of RV manufacturing plants and there would have been new chassis already on site. When manufacturing resumed, the 2021 RV body was built on the new 2019 chassis. This is the reality of custom vehicle manufacturing and is not "deceptive" or "criminal".

In purchasing the new 2021 RV built on the new 2019 chassis, the dealer was being truthful. In the event of servicing or repair of any of the driveline components, the service department will be using service data and parts for a 2019 vehicle even though a 2021 RV body has been built upon it.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:29 PM   #31
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
I have a 2019 chassis with a July 2020 build of my Georgetown and it is registered as a 2020! Ford is honoring a ac compressor failure as a warranty item. Awaiting a new compressor to be shipped! Compressor failed at 6800 miles!
If your dealer did the paperwork correctly, the Ford F53 3-year 36,000 mile warranty starts the same date you take title to the motorhome itself.

Some dealers dork it up and do not notify Ford. That causes the warranty start date to become when the chassis was delivered to the motorhome manufacturer. The dealer can easily fix their mistake.

Ray
Old 07-11-2021, 07:58 AM   #32

Model Year

We bought a 2007 Charleston 400QS in 2013. The Freightliner chassis year was 2005 and the Mercedes engine was a 2004 model year. It was registered as a 2007 as per the Forest River VIN number. The warranty for the coach, chassis and engine started the day of purchase. The VIN number reflected this information so that any service needed would relate to the year of manufacture of the chassis, engine or coach body for service or parts. We sold it as a 2007 as per the title and again the VIN number was used to get blue book value.
rickkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2021, dealer