Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
First let say how sorry I am in your husband having inflammatory disease. Second that he has to take Satan Tic Tac's (prednisone). I hope that they can find a different medication that can help him. I have an autoimmune disease and I will not take prednisone. I have seen the damage it can due and it turn me into a monster.

I looked up your rig and it is about the same size of ours. I switch on and off driving with my husband. I just jumped right into it especially when my husband fell asleep at the wheel. Yeah pretty scary. If I pull it into a cg then he will back it up for me. I really need to learn that. But it is up to you if you can do it or not. There is no shame in no deciding to tow. There are other ways you can still travel and for your husband to be comfortable. I really do know his pain. Good luck and safe travels.
So far not to bad of a personality change- he gained 30 pounds and was retaining water up until he was in hospital. He is on Lasix now and has lost 16#.

I would be ok on a highway straight shot. It is turning corners where I would freak and would not be able to back in camper. I get terrified thinking what if I am driving and a tire blows, would I know what to do. My husband is so calm in emergency situations.

May look into seasonal spot but they fill up quickly and have waiting lists and some spots are just awful.

Prednisone is the only med so far for this, which is Polymalagia Rheumatica.

Thanks so much for suggestions. I'm sorry you have auto immune as well.

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
First let say how sorry I am in your husband having inflammatory disease. Second that he has to take Satan Tic Tac's (prednisone). I hope that they can find a different medication that can help him. I have an autoimmune disease and I will not take prednisone. I have seen the damage it can due and it turn me into a monster.

I looked up your rig and it is about the same size of ours. I switch on and off driving with my husband. I just jumped right into it especially when my husband fell asleep at the wheel. Yeah pretty scary. If I pull it into a cg then he will back it up for me. I really need to learn that. But it is up to you if you can do it or not. There is no shame in no deciding to tow. There are other ways you can still travel and for your husband to be comfortable. I really do know his pain. Good luck and safe travels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
Sorry to hear about your husband's medical issues. The first thing I did was to look and see where you are. Unfortunately you're nowhere near us, otherwise I'd offer my help. I agree with others that you should at least go to a big parking lot and see if you can get comfortable maneuvering the truck and trailer around. For what it's worth, whenever I'm driving something big (and especially on a narrow road) I always pick a spot on the front of the hood and line it up with the lines on the road when I'm pretty much centered, and use that as a guide, if you catch my drift. This may or may not work for you, but it's worth a try while you're practicing without a lot of traffic around you. The other thing I would say is, yes, it wouldn't hurt your trailer to sit for awhile as long as you don't have it parked on grass. This is very important because it can rot the frame away.
I wish you and your husband all good luck, and hope everything eventually works out for you.
So sweet to offer to come and help. Thank you. I may have to take the dive and learn. I am scared of turning corners on streets and wouldn't have a clue what to do if a tire blew out. The other option as others have suggested is get a seasonal spot. Waiting lists for the good campgrounds that we have checked so far. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
A fixed site/summer cabin/rv affair might be nice.

My wife has one of the awful inflammatory issues. After a while there are better outcomes. She went from not being able to walk to 90% normal.

Driving a properly set up rv is not that hard. Do not give up so soon.,
That is so good to hear that she has almost recovered. We will hang in there and see how his recovery goes. If not maybe do seasonal or a cabin. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
There is nothing wrong with letting the camper sit for a year till you decide what you want to do. If it was a new camper, most of the depreciation is in the first year and then it levels out a bit.

If you still would really like at camp and travel I'd continue to keep it. If you decide to sell in a year then you won't be looking at getting a lot less for that reason.

Sorry he's not doing well. Sometimes life can be hard. Hopefully, someday this time will be a distant memory.
Good to know ok to let sit for a year and not take too bad of a hit if we sold. Hoping that this auto immune disease clears up to a point where it is not painful for him to travel. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irobutterfly59 View Post
So sweet to offer to come and help. Thank you. I may have to take the dive and learn. I am scared of turning corners on streets and wouldn't have a clue what to do if a tire blew out. The other option as others have suggested is get a seasonal spot. Waiting lists for the good campgrounds that we have checked so far. Thanks for your suggestions.

Corners won't be as bad as you think, especially with your husband there to guide you. Make wide turns, watch your mirrors, and don't pay any attention if some idiot in a hurry starts blowing his horn at you. It's HIS (or her) problem, not yours. If you have gotten rid of the China bombs (if you had them in the first place) don't worry too much about blowouts. Keep your tire pressure where it belongs.
Good luck, we're all pulling for you!

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #26

Thumbs up

Hoping for a speedy recovery. Illness can be tough on traveler. As was suggested, maybe keep camper for awhile until you folks can get a better handle on the illness. That way, if a recovery comes soon you aren't taking a bath on a resale, and you will be able to continue to enjoy new trips. Good Luck!
Old 02-19-2020, 11:29 PM   #27

As a single female RVer, I learned how to manage things on my own. I will not say I'm always comfortable towing my TT (windy days but I got a good weight distribution system and that made a world of difference), but I take my time getting to where I need to go. I learned how to back up a horse trailer with horses in it as a younger person, but had to brush up on backing up pulling my TT. It came back to me and I often receive compliments from men in the campgrounds as I am capable of backing my TT into a site on my own. I take my time and get out of the truck repeatedly so I do not hit anything.

I agree with many of the other posts. Don't sell just yet. I didn't get to use my still new to me TT at all in 2017 due to right foot surgery so the TT sat for over a year. I maintained the roof and things were fine when I took it out the following year.

There are options besides selling so keep the RV if you are able and see where both you and your husband are at in the next 6-12 months. I wish him a speedy recovery. Health problems are no fun.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #28

Sorry for the position the "Man Above" put you folks in, but perhaps this is a test of your resolve, which any camper will tell you we all need at times with this lifestyle.

As one other poster commented, if the funds permit it I would look into going with a Class C motor home, or a Class B+ which are getting nicer and nicer today. The B's have a nice range in pricing too with Ford, Dodge and the most expensive Mercedes Sprinter offering a full range of price points, size, and amenities.

Both the C and the B are a breeze to drive. Both are like driving a van. With the B many owners go this route because they are small enough and maneuverable enough that they eliminate the need of a tow vehicle to tour around the area of your campground. Easy hooking up and un-hooking to sightsee. A Class C would give you more space to stretch out or spend a rainy night in but still very easy to drive and navigate. Smaller C's are almost as portable as a B to use as your tour vehicle, perhaps a tad more difficult to park near urban areas. Or another option is to rent a car at your destination campground, Enterprise will pick you up, or you can use Uber to use another company, or, Uber itself to various places you may want to visit. Some seniors on low incomes are elimanating their vehicle expenses and use Uber or Lyft to get around town like grocery shopping.

Good luck to you and your husband and his health permitting you do have options to enjoy the travel and lifestyle of camping.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #29
Canadian Member

Sorry to hear about your husband's health issues but if the prognosis is that he'll improve, I wouldn't sell right away.

Since you bought a bunkhouse model TT, are there grandchildren in the picture that you planned on taking with you? If the grandchildren are nearby, could their parents learn to tow your setup and go with you?

I like the suggestion that your husband do the in-town towing (if he can) and you do the highway towing. My DW was not comfortable towing our 32' TT. She only towed it once on an interstate and she pulled over when we needed to exit the interstate. Now that we've moved to a 35' 5er she's very reluctant, but I'm confident that she could do it with my help if we were ever in a situation that I couldn't handle being behind the wheel. Booking only pull-through sites would avoid having to back in.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:43 PM   #30

I bought my 192RBS in 2018 and used it a little that year. 2019 was a lost year as the wife got diagnosed with breast cancer on Jan 2. But she's through everything now and we'll be hitting the road this summer. I'll also be going off on trips with just the dog, as she still works. The 130RBSE is down in Arizona, where our winter house is. I've already been on several trips with it. I got it so I could expand my Jeeping expeditions. It's only 2200 lbs with a gross weight of 2800 lbs, so light enough for my Wrangler. I'm going to use both of them as long as I can.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:21 AM   #31

It has been a long winter in Michigan and you have nearly made it to spring, even if it is just below zero again tonight. If you have enjoyed your TT before I would bet that you both could look forward to retirement If both of you get TT out and practice all of the features that are on your TT with truck so that you are both more comfortable when the snow clears and the TT is "summerized" and ready to go. Try a couple training runs, you can change your mind later, some have but try it first. Hope it goes better as winter ends, I think it will. If you get a flat tire, don't worry, call towing service to change it.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:07 AM   #32

Quite a range of suggestions and perspectives offered to Irobutterfly and her husband regarding options to continue the RV lifestyle in some way. I am impressed with the ideas and the kindness that members express on this website, even to colleagues whom we have encountered only via this forum. This is quite a community.

To Irobutterly, I join others in wishing you and your husband blessings for this day and those that are ahead.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #33

"It is turning corners where I would freak"

Just remember you're turning the trailer. The further the axle is from the steering axle, the tighter it tracks. If you take a corner normally while towing, the trailer will most likely jump the curb (or leave the road). So delay initiating the turn and take it tighter. Tighter also implies going slower, but, frankly, you should do everything slower with a trailer. How long to delay the turn? Until the trailer axles are at where the curb or paving breaks to the curve.

Or, plan for only left turns. They're easier :-)

Seriously, no one was born able to tow a trailer. Everyone was a beginner at some point. You can do it, too.

PS. I started with a rig about the size of yours (F-150 and 24' - 27.5' overall - trailer) and it was all new to me about two years ago.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
Where in Michigan are you if you dont mind me asking?
Between Ann Arbor and Jackson.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #35

Ahhh yes. Small world.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irobutterfly59 View Post
Between Ann Arbor and Jackson.
1st, I hope your hubby mends quickly. I’ve got a2015 19 ft ROO hybrid and my wife was also a bit apprehensive about pulling the rig. We were on vacation a couple of years back on Prince Edward Island and the wife decided to try and tow. The roads were 2 lane and although there was some traffic, nothing major. It gave her the confidence to pull more often. I’m basically your neighbor ( I-94 & exit 145 ), and knowing the roads there are plenty of non- crowded roads to practice on and buildup that confidence. I’m here for encouragement or assistance if needed
Jim
clockmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #37

A couple of thoughts from a wounded Warrior vet! My German wife Gerda & I have been camping for 53 years! Tents, pop-up Apaches, 2 VW Campers, and our 2016 B 25ft MBS we bought in Fall 2015 used from our local dealer with only 10K miles & thousands $ saved! Our two adult daughters are avid campers as well! We are not full timers! The past 2 years my challenges have become a bit tougher! I now have a stair climber to prevent falling, a streamlined mobility scooter that folds up like a carry on luggage for long distance walks or wobbly days-all courtesy of the VA! More Meds! But we still love camping! Its in our DNA! Gerda camped in Italy every summer! It’s just a bit more challenging especially for my wife Gerda! We haven’t made a cross country trip in 4 years but more locally! We are considering putting it in storage at our favorite RV Park then driving there in our car! Right now it’s securely stored on our local military base here in San Diego! Still a work in progress! I am stable though which helps a lot! Way too many doc Appts which always gets in the way of trips! But, we keep our RV in first rate shape top to bottom and fully insured! Water tight & no rodents (another story)! God bless you & tell your hubby to keep up the good fight which is a mental thing as well that helps keep the old bod moving along! Everything is 100 times tougher on Gerda than me! I always keep that in mind! Dr Dan & Frau Gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #38

Madame IB! For Openers,Thanx For The Trust in Coming Here And Sharing!! You Are Obviously Not Alone!!
Now,if You would indulge me,let's hit the brakes for a minute,and take a size XL Breath! Whew,That's Better! As a fat Old Guy,here's a couple of my thoughts: You're both Survivor's of having the rug pulled out from under You,and You're Living Through a Massive Gamechanger! Nice Job with All that's been tossed in Your Path! Depending on Your Financials,You may be able to Shelter In Place while this Lifestorm is swirling all around You! If so,and if willing,start this year off by setting up right there in Your Property. Get in and swim a little with Your Hubby! Don't short sell if You can help it. Keep coming here and Sharing with these Fine Folks! I Wish You the Very Best!
cedarcreekbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockmanjim View Post
1st, I hope your hubby mends quickly. I’ve got a2015 19 ft ROO hybrid and my wife was also a bit apprehensive about pulling the rig. We were on vacation a couple of years back on Prince Edward Island and the wife decided to try and tow. The roads were 2 lane and although there was some traffic, nothing major. It gave her the confidence to pull more often. I’m basically your neighbor ( I-94 & exit 145 ), and knowing the roads there are plenty of non- crowded roads to practice on and buildup that confidence. I’m here for encouragement or assistance if needed
Jim
Oh wow, we are really really close neighbors. We camped out in Concord and took back roads (M60, King Road, etc) few times last year and it wasn't crowded highway. My fear is what if we have a tire blow. I've seen video's of trucks and campers destroyed, flipped, etc. I will try and work on learning how to tow for this next year. He is healing very well so far. It was really stressful taking care of his burns/ and wound care for a while.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarcreekbob View Post
Madame IB! For Openers,Thanx For The Trust in Coming Here And Sharing!! You Are Obviously Not Alone!!
Now,if You would indulge me,let's hit the brakes for a minute,and take a size XL Breath! Whew,That's Better! As a fat Old Guy,here's a couple of my thoughts: You're both Survivor's of having the rug pulled out from under You,and You're Living Through a Massive Gamechanger! Nice Job with All that's been tossed in Your Path! Depending on Your Financials,You may be able to Shelter In Place while this Lifestorm is swirling all around You! If so,and if willing,start this year off by setting up right there in Your Property. Get in and swim a little with Your Hubby! Don't short sell if You can help it. Keep coming here and Sharing with these Fine Folks! I Wish You the Very Best!
Thank you Cedar- will take your advice and enjoy the storm together with the hubby as I know "this too shall pass".

Tags
camper