Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

Deciding to sell 1year old camper due to health reasons

Just wondering how many folks purchased their RV/TT and then spouse got ill and had to decide whether to sell or not. Husband came down with a inflammatory disease that affects his arms and legs and has to be on prednisone for a yer. This happened a month after we purchased our TT last year. He was doing good on prednisone as it gets decreased and suppose to be off in a month. However just had a relapse and had to bump up his prednisone.

We're trying to decide what to do. This illness can come and go at anytime. Some get healed and it doesn't come back. Some go into relapses and stay on prednisone for years.

Last month husband burned himself with hot pot of water when pan handle broke and he fell in boiling hot water. He had 3rd degree burns on both butt cheeks and back. Had to have 5 skin grafts. He is recovering slowly but surely.

I had retired last January so we could travel. Well as you can see been a rough year for us.

Last year we camped 3 times but only could go 40 minutes away due to the pain in husbands leg (driving leg). I am not comfortable towing our camper.

What a year it has been.

Thanks for any input.

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #2

There is nothing wrong with letting the camper sit for a year till you decide what you want to do. If it was a new camper, most of the depreciation is in the first year and then it levels out a bit.

If you still would really like at camp and travel I'd continue to keep it. If you decide to sell in a year then you won't be looking at getting a lot less for that reason.

Sorry he's not doing well. Sometimes life can be hard. Hopefully, someday this time will be a distant memory.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #3

So sorry to hear of his illness.

Unfortunately, it happens to a lot of us.

If you really like to travel and camp, you might have to learn how to tow a trailer. It's really not that hard and many women do it because their husbands can't do it anymore, they enjoy it or they are on their own. Your husband can be 'copilot', he can help you learn and gain confidence.

We're in a holding pattern ourselves due to illness. It's been a year of constant health problems. Luckily, we had a few years to travel before health problems started to crop up. Then we bought a B+ because of health problems and now one of us can't climb stairs.

Whatever you decide, don't give up on traveling. There are other alternative, motels, cabins at somewhere like a KOA.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #4

Sorry to hear this. Hope the recovery resumes.

Good advice here. One more thought- Be sure someone inspects and maintains the roof on a regular basis. Is ok to let the camper sit as long as no water is getting in.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
There is nothing wrong with letting the camper sit for a year till you decide what you want to do. If it was a new camper, most of the depreciation is in the first year and then it levels out a bit.

If you still would really like at camp and travel I'd continue to keep it. If you decide to sell in a year then you won't be looking at getting a lot less for that reason.

Sorry he's not doing well. Sometimes life can be hard. Hopefully, someday this time will be a distant memory.
X2. Didn't get out at all in 2018, as we moved my in-laws into an assisted care place the summer before so in 2018, DW had to deal with them, plus we sold the house and bought a condo, so spent several months moving. Last summer we got out about 13 nights. Both in-laws have now passed, so we expect to make up for lost time this year.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #6

Would a seasonal/permanent site be viable? Have someone help you with the towing there, and set up, then all you do is drive there to enjoy.
Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #7

Class B+ or C

If you’re not feeling capable of driving a truck and towing. Trailer, you might consider. Class B+ or C, if you’re the one driving. I drive our Forester MBS and tow a Fiat POP behind. The Forester Sprinter is easy to drive as well as park. I don’t have any problems. It’s also easy to detach Luigi, our Fiat. I used to drive our 34’ Southwind, but I feel more comfortable driving the Forester.
travelininmymbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #8

as they say, "when it rains it Pours" and you have certainly had your share of Bad luck.

If the biggest impediment is the pain in his leg than my suggestion is for you to get more comfortable with towing the camper. It really isn't as hard as it may seem at first.

Perhaps hook it up and go to a mall parking lot after they close or before they open and practice with it.

Drive in the slow lane a few MPH below the speed limit and let all the speedballs pass you by while you sit back and relax.

After a couple short trips it is my bet that you will be willing to venture further and further afield. Nothing makes you more confident than success. After all, he will be right there to offer suggestions and help, won't he?
Old 02-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
rfifer

My thoughts and hopes are with you both for improvement with time and healing.

Towing a trailer is not that difficult but does take some getting used to. Two big things to be mindful of - stopping: you have several thousand pounds behind you pushing your truck forward. Let the trailer brakes help stop in addition to the truck brakes. The other is cornering. You must remember to go wide on the turns. Where I live, there isn't room to move left to give a little more room when turning right, so I go farther straight out into the intersection than I would a car and then go for essentially a 90 degree turn. With a trailer the size of yours, that should work to make it easier. Practicing in a large grocery store or big box store parking lot when the business is closed will help give you the feel of both stopping and turning.

My wife and I have found that fresh air is healing in more ways than one. If you choose to try to tow, I wish you the very best of success in that effort. I would also add that I agree with the comment that there is also nothing wrong with letting it sit for a year and see what time brings.
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #10

A fixed site/summer cabin/rv affair might be nice.

My wife has one of the awful inflammatory issues. After a while there are better outcomes. She went from not being able to walk to 90% normal.

Driving a properly set up rv is not that hard. Do not give up so soon.,
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #11

Camping Delay

Can certainly feel your pain. We purchased our new Forester Class C in 2016 and had it at a seasonal site and then stored there but had roof issues and it was in the shop awhile and then family issues came up and health issues also so haven’t traveled as we would like. Hope to kick it back into service soon. I drive our Class C and it isn’t hard to even with a flat tow. Hope to head out West in the future. Beat of luck with health issues and hopefully y’all can get on the road soon.
patsylou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #12

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My only thought to help would be to try to learn to drive with the trailer, at least on larger roads. Let your husband drive it out to a major road and you drive the major road and switch back near your destination and let him drive it on the smaller roads and parking. Or see if you can go with some friends that hopefully could help drive. That's what I have had to do recently.

I haven't had the level of bad luck you've had but have had issues. I bought my trailer in Feb 16 and had an accident the following April. Not my fault but the truck was totaled and I got a couple bones broken in my foot. Had to cancel those Yellowstone/Grand Tetons 6 weeks worth of reservations.

Then I got some gastrointestinal issues that can limit my driving a bit and had to take trips with my brother. My sister in-law has had to drive about 1000 miles or so of each of the last two cross country trips. Hopefully a upcoming gallbladder removal surgery will fix that. I have reservations at the Albuquerque balloon festival in Oct. Hope I can make it, traveling with my brother and sister in-law again, just in case.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
Would a seasonal/permanent site be viable? Have someone help you with the towing there, and set up, then all you do is drive there to enjoy.
This was my first thought as well. Even considered offering to lend a hand until I realized how far Michigan is.
mdarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdarmody View Post
This was my first thought as well. Even considered offering to lend a hand until I realized how far Michigan is.
I actually grew up in Michigan, but I’m 8 hours away now
Old 02-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #15

Sorry to hear about your husband's medical issues. The first thing I did was to look and see where you are. Unfortunately you're nowhere near us, otherwise I'd offer my help. I agree with others that you should at least go to a big parking lot and see if you can get comfortable maneuvering the truck and trailer around. For what it's worth, whenever I'm driving something big (and especially on a narrow road) I always pick a spot on the front of the hood and line it up with the lines on the road when I'm pretty much centered, and use that as a guide, if you catch my drift. This may or may not work for you, but it's worth a try while you're practicing without a lot of traffic around you. The other thing I would say is, yes, it wouldn't hurt your trailer to sit for awhile as long as you don't have it parked on grass. This is very important because it can rot the frame away.
I wish you and your husband all good luck, and hope everything eventually works out for you.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #16

First let say how sorry I am in your husband having inflammatory disease. Second that he has to take Satan Tic Tac's (prednisone). I hope that they can find a different medication that can help him. I have an autoimmune disease and I will not take prednisone. I have seen the damage it can due and it turn me into a monster.

I looked up your rig and it is about the same size of ours. I switch on and off driving with my husband. I just jumped right into it especially when my husband fell asleep at the wheel. Yeah pretty scary. If I pull it into a cg then he will back it up for me. I really need to learn that. But it is up to you if you can do it or not. There is no shame in no deciding to tow. There are other ways you can still travel and for your husband to be comfortable. I really do know his pain. Good luck and safe travels.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Sorry to hear this. Hope the recovery resumes.

Good advice here. One more thought- Be sure someone inspects and maintains the roof on a regular basis. Is ok to let the camper sit as long as no water is getting in.
Yes we will have the folks where we bought it from take of the roof. Thanks for your feedback. Thank you for your thoughts for continual recovery.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdarmody View Post
That is so sweet. Thank you for even thinking about helping.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #19

Where in Michigan are you if you dont mind me asking?
Old 02-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #20

I grew up in Holt

Tags
camper