RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #1

Dehumidifier

Im new to the rv world. How important is a dehumidifier? Is it a must have and if so any recommendations. I live in Oklahoma and currently staying in it full time
Jchandler909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I used my camper as my second home during my last 6 years of my working life; 250 miles from our home.
I would say YES, a dehumidifier is a must have.
Living in your camper will generate a lot of moisture, everything from cooking, showering and washing, to just plain moisture in the air, condensation in wet and winter months from the temperature changes. And just sleeping and living you generate a lot of moisture from just breathing!
Using the propane stove and cooking seemed to be the biggest contributors for me, the bathroom has an exhaust fan, but still gets plenty of moisture especially in cooler weather.

We have a small counter top dehumidifier running all the time and an assortment of damp-rids (various sizes from the tub to hang in the closet sizes) in the bathroom, living area, kitchen area, and bedroom.
Try to keep wet clothes and shoes (i.e. raincoats, umbrellas, boots, wet towels and wash cloths, dish rags, etc.) outside as much as possible to dry.
Open windows and use a small fan to circulate air when it's warm and sunny enough (don't get that here in the winter too much in the snow belt!).

Moisture can not only warp cabinets and floors, but it is a major contributor to mold and mildew in cabinets and on woodwork.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the feed back.
Jchandler909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We have the EVA-DRY EVD1100
[url]https://www.eva-dry.com/product/edv-1100-petite-dehumidifier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDV-1100-Petite-Dehumidifier-Garage-Basement-front.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	246380  
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Team

I am not a big fan of the SS dehumidifiers. I bought one for my PUP many years ago and it removed some humidity, but not enough. Some members claim they work well. Their specs say approximately 8 oz. of water per day at 86 F and 80% R.H. Not a typical living area.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:35 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I always bring our 30 pint real dehumidifier (smallest and cheapest real dehumidifier I could find). If I am running A/C, humidity still builds up. If it is cold and you keep windows closed, it will be like a wet sock inside. This may not apply out west, but anyplace around East Coast it is a constant battle against moisture, unless ambient conditions are such that open windows and vent fan will do the trick (rare out here). The bucket holds 1.5 gallons and is usually half full by morning. Wife wants to know where all the water comes from. I tell her, 'lung juice'.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I always bring our 30 pint real dehumidifier (smallest and cheapest real dehumidifier I could find). If I am running A/C, humidity still builds up. If it is cold and you keep windows closed, it will be like a wet sock inside. This may not apply out west, but anyplace around East Coast it is a constant battle against moisture, unless ambient conditions are such that open windows and vent fan will do the trick (rare out here). The bucket holds 1.5 gallons and is usually half full by morning. Wife wants to know where all the water comes from. I tell her, 'lung juice'.
It certainly does apply out West, especially on the wet side of Washington and Oregon.

When our humidity is high I have a Frigidare unit about the same size as yours I bought several years ago that I can run if necessary. Since I'm alone in the TT and I religiously use the fan when cooking or showering humidity buildup isn't all that bad. The furnace keeps the feeling of "damp" to a minimum most times. Also helps if it's raining to make sure to shake off any outerwear before bringing it inside.

When not in use and sitting on it's pad in the back yard I run the dehumidifier and also use an oil filled electric "radiator" to keep the temp in the trailer ~50 degrees. When it gets real cold outside (like below freezing) it helps the dehumidifier keep up with it's job.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Agree. I pull the 60 pint one out of our basement when we travel unless we know the AC will be on a lot (a lot!). Loud, heavy, and a pain in the ass, but it will pull like a gallon a day out of the air. My wife will never leave home without it now.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:34 AM   #9

My MH is stored in a closed, insulated building. I try to keep my humidity at 50 percent. The dehumidifier seems to keep up with no problem.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Plus, the steady white noise helps you sleep! 30 pint model much lighter than my big home basement 50-something pint model. I wedge mine beneath dinette with pillows when actually traveling. Mike, I got the Frigidaire single knob analog model too. No more wet bedding pushed up against forward wall adjoining bed either!