Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #1

Delamination concern Wildwood 392 QBBS

After reading some of the horror stories regarding delamination I have some concerns regarding the new park model I have on order(2010 Wildwood 392qbbs). I upgraded to the Gelcoat Fiberglass exterior. My reasoning was that the permanent site (this Park Model Trailer will not be towed regularly) I will be utilizing does not have water or electric. I felt the gelcoat would be much easier to clean and maintian than aluminum. It also appears to be much more durable realtive to denting, and should provide a better R factor than aluminum. However, after reading some of the threads on delamination I am having second thoughts. I will be using the trailer year round.
I am interested in hearing any input relative to long term pros/cons/issues on gelcoat/fiberglass siding.
es335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #2

I wouldn't worry too much about it. My story maybe one of the horror stories you have read about. There are alot more people who own gelcoat tt's and do not have any problems, than those that do. But when is the last time you read a thread with posts that say, "I love my gelcoat finish, I have had zero problems since I bought my tt "X" years ago!"
It's human nature to write and read about the bad things we and others experience. That makes it seem like all we have are constant problems with our tt's.

The gelcoat finish was one of the main reasons I bought my tt. I had been through a hail storm with my previous tt with aluminum siding. Had to replace the front and one side. $7,200! I'm glad I have good insurance.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

grhodes50,

True-so very true. Thank you for the response. My 392QBBS is due to the dealer on 3/17/2010. I am sticking with the Gelcoat! By the way, I looked at the Rockwood TTs. They are an exceptional unit. The interior is among the best I have seen.
es335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #4

We really like ours, 8315ss front kitchen. Lots of room in the living area. Really like the bathroom, large shower & tub. The bathroom runs the full width of the tt. We went with the table and chairs. Like that alot better than the booth. I don't think we would mind the "U" shaped booths though. They look nice. Would've liked the bedroom slide but the tv I had at the time wouldn't handle it.

I believe the problem I'm having is not the norm. Everything looks good except above the slideout. We noticed that it looked wavey a while back so I decided to check it out the other day. I can push the "bubbles" with my finger and they flex but feel solid behind them. Everything looks good inside so I don't think it's due to any leaks, probably just didn't get glued well at the factory.

I wouldn't worry about yours. I'm sure it will be okay. I know the 17th can't get here soon enough.

Good luck and enjoy that tt.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote