Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

Depreciation question

For full time RV living, assume you had no preference but was going to buy with cash either a new 3/4 ton gas truck and 5th wheel or travel trailer, or Class A and small tow car, (Fiat 500 or similar).
Which do you think would result in the least amount of depreciation if sold in say 2 to 3 years? Easiest combo to sell?
I realize they're loaded questions.

We sold our small 24ft Forester Class C, and decided to start traveling full time in retirement for at least a couple years to decide where or if we want to settle somewhere to live full time.
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Truck
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

It's all relative as to what you pay for the rv. Truck and car will depreciate in 3 years just like any other vehicle.
A $150,000 class A that looses 30% of its value will be worth more than a $75,000 fiver that looses 30% of its value, but they've both lost 30%, whatever the initial cost.
After 3-4 years, it's a buyers market as far as used rv's. There are just too many out there.
What you need to do is figure out what is right for YOU, and don't worry about depreciation. Figure out what type of rv you'll be happy with and that will be adaquate for your needs as far as living space, storage space, comfort, and ease of traveling and setting up.
Never go into buying a rig with one of the items on your list being depreciation value, and what you may loose. If you do you will be very disappointed if and when the time comes to sell/trade it in.
2 things an rv'er should never worry about...gas mileage and depreciation. They both suck, you have very little control over either, so why worry?
Bottom line, rv's depreciate quicker than a set of bald tires. Don't worry about it, and buy and use what fits your needs and enjoy the ride.
For me, money being no object...a Renegade Super C, one of their top models...because their the best lookin, meanest lookin rig out there!!!
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

X2. I don't like to buy anything overpriced or anything we lose money on. Some things cannot be avoided...food, utilities, clothing etc., but one can minimize loss by conserving where you can. I.E. conserve energy, don't waste food, buy on sale/bulk/thrifty, shop for the best deal on you RV. You could buy used to minimize your initial loss, but you have to decide deal vs savings/loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

x3 and depends on the area you sell / buy in........ very few motorhomes around this area. High dollar anything is hard to sell around here.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

New models that become highly desired and hard to come by, may have a higher resell and less depreciation the first few years. Opposite goes for models that are less desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:51 PM   #7

With cash, find what you want that's a few years old that's a good balance quality and price. Don't be shy making low offers and be willing to walk away. Let someone else take the big depreciation hit on a new rig. I would be careful not to buy too big. A 24' class C like you just sold has huge advantages depending on where you camp. These monsters that many people are attracted to, can't go where a small rig can go. I personally would go class C over class A any day, especially considering the safety and driveability aspects.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
With cash, find what you want that's a few years old that's a good balance quality and price. Don't be shy making low offers and be willing to walk away. Let someone else take the big depreciation hit on a new rig. I would be careful not to buy too big. A 24' class C like you just sold has huge advantages depending on where you camp. These monsters that many people are attracted to, can't go where a small rig can go. I personally would go class C over class A any day, especially considering the safety and driveability aspects.
X2 ... friends just got great deal on a 2 y. o. Class A because orginal owners developed heath problems. They left an index card with their contact info on any RV in the neighborhood that hadn't moved, lol.
BlissHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #9

Buy used...2-3 years old...
The Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #10

I would be worried less about depreciation than finding the floor plan that suits you. Whatever you buy, new or used, it is going to depreciate. Finding the right layout would be my primary concern. If you go fifth wheel get a 1 ton truck.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #11

A diesel truck will hold value much better than a gasser! And, you'll be much happier pulling that new 5th wheel with it.
2020 Ram 3500 Dually with HD Cummins TD
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #12

Everything will depreciate - this should be your last concern.

If you are going to full time for a couple of years, buy the RV that will work for you living in it 24/7/365.

After looking at all the variables, we chose to go Motorhome because it is just easier to setup/depart than a 5th wheel (at least in our opinion). Cargo and carrying capacity is vastly superior to any 5th wheel. Finally, nothing beats that big picture window to the world windshield and the fact that you are rolling down the road at semi truck height
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyfan View Post
For full time RV living, assume you had no preference but was going to buy with cash either a new 3/4 ton gas truck and 5th wheel or travel trailer, or Class A and small tow car, (Fiat 500 or similar).
Which do you think would result in the least amount of depreciation if sold in say 2 to 3 years? Easiest combo to sell?
I realize they're loaded questions.

We sold our small 24ft Forester Class C, and decided to start traveling full time in retirement for at least a couple years to decide where or if we want to settle somewhere to live full time.
Stop guessing; Do this, pull up NADA pricing guides and record the data on your set of vehicles, RV's etc. Look three years back from now to give you your answer. THAT my friend is your answer. Anything else is a guess, don't guess, use know data from a reliable source as the rest is just a guess.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Everything will depreciate - this should be your last concern.

If you are going to full time for a couple of years, buy the RV that will work for you living in it 24/7/365.

After looking at all the variables, we chose to go Motorhome because it is just easier to setup/depart than a 5th wheel (at least in our opinion). Cargo and carrying capacity is vastly superior to any 5th wheel. Finally, nothing beats that big picture window to the world windshield and the fact that you are rolling down the road at semi truck height
I think you have a good point, BUT: I also think the shorter your stays and less "stuff" you put out (chairs, tables, rugs, etc.), the more ease of setup/depart matters. If you're doing it every night and morning, the less the better. But if you go somewhere and "camp" for the week, I think it's less of a big deal. And you can always put some stuff away the night before your leave.

But we all have our own opinions on this.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote