Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #1

Desert with a Dog

We are heading west this year in late August or early September.
Taking the dog for the first time to the west.
Wondering what do you do to keep them cool when you want to stop somewhere for an hour or two and you are not at a campground?
The fans that you can put in the truck windows?
Don't take the pup?

I am seriously considering a kennel for her for the 3 weeks we will be gone because I am so concerned about her getting to hot in the truck while we are sight seeing at places that don't allow pets and we haven't set up camp yet.
We are in 3/4 ton chevy pulling a 5th wheel.
Appreciate knowing what others do!
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #2

You cannot leave your pet in the car in the summer in Arizona, you seriously risk a broken window at the least and a dead pet at the most. Please don't do this.

Here's a link for you: https://www.animallaw.info/topic/tab...arked-vehicles
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
You cannot leave your pet in the car in the summer in Arizona, you seriously risk a broken window at the least and a dead pet at the most. Please don't do this.

Here's a link for you: https://www.animallaw.info/topic/tab...arked-vehicles
That is why I asked what others do.
Know you can't leave them in that heat, so want to know what everyone else does that travels out there with their pets.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

When I travel with my dog, he goes with me everywhere I go. If I am in the desert and/or it's too hot, he goes with me. If it's temperate, or I have the trailer in a place where I can run the A/C, I will leave him in the camper for short periods of time (up to several hours)
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #5

Special heat-proof booties to start. Lots of water, including bringing some in walks. We leave the generator running when parked, with AC going and a remote temp monitor that links to our cell phones. Putting a sign on the unit telling people the air is on and temp monitored with owners no more than 10 minutes away.
tmauceri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
When I travel with my dog, he goes with me everywhere I go. If I am in the desert and/or it's too hot, he goes with me. If it's temperate, or I have the trailer in a place where I can run the A/C, I will leave him in the camper for short periods of time (up to several hours)
X-2
Ps-you can look into local doggie day care businesses where you plan on stopping. Look on Yelp or other dog sites. Not a solicitation, but I run a home doggie day care( better than kenneling) in a resort area and get plenty of clients who are going hiking, biking, fishing, Yosemite, etc. and can't bring their dogs or leave them unattended.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
Scoundrel

We limit what we do when our dog is with us (which is always). If we need to make a quick stop for groceries one of us stays in the car with the windows down and parked in the shade. Dog goes where we go. At least the west offers higher altitudes, shade and cooler weather depending where you go.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #8

Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
X-2
Ps-you can look into local doggie day care businesses where you plan on stopping. Look on Yelp or other dog sites. Not a solicitation, but I run a home doggie day care( better than kenneling) in a resort area and get plenty of clients who are going hiking, biking, fishing, Yosemite, etc. and can't bring their dogs or leave them unattended.
This sounds like the best bet for you. Make sure you get the kennel cough treatment and are up to date on shots. Take the certificate showing your dog is current on shots.
Check local vets where you plan on being. If they can't take you animal for a while, they may know other businesses that offer this service.
I may use this idea myself. Then I can take my 4 legger along plus do the sight seeing I want to do!!
Thanks for the idea!!!
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
Insert witty title here

I use one of these.

IcyBreeze Portable Air Conditioner & Cooler

It'll keep the pooches nice and cool for a couple of hours and runs off 12V.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
Scoundrel

Forgot to mention that I make a list of all the vet clinics with their location and contact info for each town that we're passing through. I don't count on there being cell reception everywhere.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #11

Thanks to all of you who take steps to ensure the well-being of your dogs (or other pets). My kind of people.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #12

PLEASE!!!!! Make sure Fido is innuculated against the canine flu. A recent upcomer, supposedly spread by dog shows and then in kennels and day care centers. I'm on my cell phone, don't have the link, but please Google it. This canine flu is airborne, highly contagious and can be fatal.

EDIT: Here's a link to one of many news articles about canine influenza:

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.co...Two-Show-Dogs/
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #13

Thanks to all for the reply's!
We really appreciate it. We are going to look into all the links offered and make a decision about taking her with us or not.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #14

IMHO, most dogs would rather go with you on the road than be kenneled for a lengthy amount of time. I know because I interviewed my dogs and that's what they said - LOL. Seriously, have you ever toured a kennel? They tend to be very noisy, with all the dogs barking. Think "shelter-stress." We take our dogs with us (unless we're going to Hawaii, in which case I pay an arm and a leg to have them stay with their trainer at his home) and run the A/C in the RV - we also have a temp monitor that links to our cell phones. When we have gone on more lengthy tours, we find a local vet or boarding facility to board them for a 1/2 or full day. Agree with what others have said about always having proof of vaccinations with you and a list of 24 hour emergency vets for every area we're visiting. Also, I keep a color 8 x 10 photo of each dog on board in the event either was ever lost and I had to make copies to post. Thank heavens, that has never happened.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB View Post
IMHO, most dogs would rather go with you on the road than be kenneled for a lengthy amount of time. I know because I interviewed my dogs and that's what they said - LOL. Seriously, have you ever toured a kennel? They tend to be very noisy, with all the dogs barking. Think "shelter-stress." We take our dogs with us (unless we're going to Hawaii, in which case I pay an arm and a leg to have them stay with their trainer at his home) and run the A/C in the RV - we also have a temp monitor that links to our cell phones. When we have gone on more lengthy tours, we find a local vet or boarding facility to board them for a 1/2 or full day. Agree with what others have said about always having proof of vaccinations with you and a list of 24 hour emergency vets for every area we're visiting. Also, I keep a color 8 x 10 photo of each dog on board in the event either was ever lost and I had to make copies to post. Thank heavens, that has never happened.
We don't want to leave her, just trying to make the best decision.
Our vet gives us a "card", like a drivers license that has her picture on it, her chip ID, all her shot information and his phone number. With the card, we also get a key chain type thing with the same info on it.
Pretty cool actually. We keep the big card in the TV with us all the time and the key chain one on the trailer key ring.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
We don't want to leave her, just trying to make the best decision.
Our vet gives us a "card", like a drivers license that has her picture on it, her chip ID, all her shot information and his phone number. With the card, we also get a key chain type thing with the same info on it.
Pretty cool actually. We keep the big card in the TV with us all the time and the key chain one on the trailer key ring.
Now how cool is that!!!! So, does that mean I can get my Springers a picture ID and license so they can drive their Copper Mini legally?
Just kidding,,,,, but we joke about it all the time. Visualize it,,,,,
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Now how cool is that!!!! So, does that mean I can get my Springers a picture ID and license so they can drive their Copper Mini legally?
Just kidding,,,,, but we joke about it all the time. Visualize it,,,,,
I wish mine could drive, so I could see more of the roadside stuff!!!
LMAO
Old 07-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #18

Springerdad's link to the article on canine flu is a good thing to read for those considering boarding their dogs. Thanks for posting it. It's info straight from veterinarians. No one's saying don't board them...but just be aware of the situation.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
We limit what we do when our dog is with us (which is always). If we need to make a quick stop for groceries one of us stays in the car with the windows down and parked in the shade. Dog goes where we go. At least the west offers higher altitudes, shade and cooler weather depending where you go.
This is exactly what we do. We have the motorhome so we can bring our 70 pound boxer with us. It does mean passing up some things but for us the benefits of dog ownership surpass any missed sightseeing opportunities.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
This is exactly what we do. We have the motorhome so we can bring our 70 pound boxer with us. It does mean passing up some things but for us the benefits of dog ownership surpass any missed sightseeing opportunities.
X2