Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #1

Destination Fee

I would like to avoid a destination fee and as many fees as I can. How much do you think I could save if I drove from Denver to Indiana to pick-up a 2019 Rockwood 2608WS? I have a lot of family to visit in the Mid-West and the South.
Willie Hayes Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Hayes Jr View Post
I would like to avoid a destination fee and as many fees as I can. How much do you think I could save if I drove from Denver to Indiana to pick-up a 2019 Rockwood 2608WS? I have a lot of family to visit in the Mid-West and the South.
It's usually based on mileage and the way to get a good estimate would be to find a dealer near you that has a similar unit and see what the destination fee is on that rig. You're going to have to figure out what your expenses would be to make the round trip.

The main disadvantage would be that the local dealer probably will put you at the back of the line for warranty work.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:44 PM   #3

All dealer warranty work is back of the line as it is not profitable. Unless you tip well, or paid near full retail, or find a needle in a haystack dealer (some must exist).

Not faulting anyone, just dollars and sense of warranty work versus shop rate repairs.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Back in 2006, we saved $4500, on a $23k MSRP HTT in Chicago, even after trip costs.
West Coast dealers wouldn't go less than $19,500 but the Chicago dealer sold it to us for $14,500 and even installed our 4pt Equal-i-zer for free.
We were willing to pay the destination charge, if the West Coast dealers would match the price. But all they did was to tell us, that if we wanted that price, we should drive there and get it.
So we did and made a camping trip out of the return.
None of the California dealers cared make a deal. They thought we would cave, to avoid making the trip. Boy were they wrong.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
I saved over$4000 buying our 2606ws at a dealer in Indiana. In our case it was just a day trip to get it. We had only one warranty claim and we were in Texas on a trip. Forest River authorized the repair and we were reimbursed.

If you have family to visit anyway you could make a trip to get the trailer and show it to family and friends.
Daves rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
Mopar Guy

I saved 2700 by going to ohio, 1100 of that was difference in destination. It cost me 700 to go get it including gas, rental truck (didn't want to drive my personal truck) and hotel
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp26 View Post
All dealer warranty work is back of the line as it is not profitable. Unless you tip well, or paid near full retail, or find a needle in a haystack dealer (some must exist).

Not faulting anyone, just dollars and sense of warranty work versus shop rate repairs.
This is why I use independent RV repair shops. Their incentive is to do good work, quickly.

Some will handle the warranty process for you; some you have to get reimbursed by the RV manufacturer.

But, it's always better than leaving your rig at a dealership for warranty work.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #8

I don't pay fees, I buy elsewhere. Sales price + Tax + Plate or I do business elsewhere. If they want to sell you a unit they will.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
llr

if you do this I would look at RV wholesalers in Ohio. i didn't buy there do to availability but shopped there and the have a nation wide warranty plan, a good reputation here and the owner will jump in to try to resolve issues
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #10

I believe a destination fee is a profit center for dealers... whatever it cost them to get it there is marked up... either negotiate the fee down, or if your time is free then take the money you save and take a trip to an Indiana or OH dealer where you will undoubtedly get a cheaper price. RV Wholesalers has a great reputation. I bought at Colerain RV of Indianapolis for a good price.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
I'm Lost

Boy, did I get this wrong!

I thought this was about tourist area "Destination Tax" or "Fee".

In Ontario, "Destination & Delivery" charges are the same across the province, 1m SQ Kms, (416k sq miles). You go to the dealer down the street from the plant, Ford Oakville, GM Oshawa and pay same charges as in Thunder Bay, 1400kms away.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #12

I put a deposit and then drove to Indiana to pickup my first, last, and only TT from "Total Value RV of Indiana" because they were close to the factory - disaster. Avoid them at all costs. They never even did a dealer PDI, … tried to have me pay for agreed items at N/C (power cord, adapter, and a few minor items).

That was my impression at the time and still is, but I have learned that they are probably operating the way the entire industry operates. Promise everything, Deliver nothing. I would purchase as close to local as possible, but expect nothing and be surprised if they provide anything at future service times.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
Boy, did I get this wrong!

I thought this was about tourist area "Destination Tax" or "Fee".

In Ontario, "Destination & Delivery" charges are the same across the province, 1m SQ Kms, (416k sq miles). You go to the dealer down the street from the plant, Ford Oakville, GM Oshawa and pay same charges as in Thunder Bay, 1400kms away.

Geoff
The RV Industry doesn't operate like the Auto Industry, when it comes to destination charges.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 02-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I believe a destination fee is a profit center for dealers... whatever it cost them to get it there is marked up.
Totally Agree! Especially for Western RV dealers.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #15

Quote:
I presume you are planning a factory pickup versus a dealer? If factory, have you verified they will allow the pickup?
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The RV Industry doesn't operate like the Auto Industry, when it comes to destination charges.
True!

The RV industry doesn't operate like the auto industry on a lot of things!

Local dealer tried to sell me a trailer a couple years ago and wanted to charge me fees to prep it for delivery, and pay half the cost they paid to get it from factory to dealer.

I said they were crazy, and saleslady said "we have to start somewhere". Wife got up out of her chair and said "you can start there with someone else", turned around and walked out. Didn't even look back to see if I was following her (which I obediently did BTW). Loved all 30 seconds of that.

Mike
Old 02-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
I presume you are planning a factory pickup versus a dealer? If factory, have you verified they will allow the pickup?
Forest River doesn't allow for factory pickup, from any of their RV divisions.

Only through a dealer.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I think you "meant" that the RV industry doesn't operate like the Auto Industry - PERIOD. Or 99% of the complaints and/or posts would never be here. The Auto Industry is an actual industry. The RV ____ is nothing more than atrocious LEGO (no offense to LEGO) assemblers without accepting responsibility.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I think you "meant" that the RV industry doesn't operate like the Auto Industry - PERIOD. Or 99% of the complaints and/or posts would never be here. The Auto Industry is an actual industry. The RV ____ is nothing more than atrocious LEGO (no offense to LEGO) assemblers without accepting responsibility.
I always say that the only thing the two industries have in common, is they both make things on wheels that are sold at dealerships.
Other than that, they couldn't be more different.
Many make the mistake of comparing the two.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #20
Scoundrel

Quote:
Go on the adventure! Visit family along the way and the way back. Save the destination charges if it makes you feel better, but making memories is a better reason!

My .02

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote