Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #21

The Grey tank fills mostly with soap and water. I don't think that is going to harm anything. As has been compared often, washing your car, or, your RV is going to have more contaminants in the runoff than what comes out of a grey tank.

At one time, not sure of the current reg's but in NY state it was legal to dump grey tanks if you were 200 ft. or more from residential property.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:09 PM   #22

Traveling from Northern Indiana to Florida, we've stopped at Safe Harbor in Perry, GA.
They have full hookup sites.
Dewinterize and sanitize the system.
Then head down to Fla.
Very convenient.
They also have storage if you want to leave your RV there on the way home.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:24 PM   #23

Flush and dump if you used RV anti-freeze.
No need to sanitize tank. Anti-freeze shouldn't be in your tank or water heater, just your lines.
After flushing (if you flush well enough), no issue at all. RV anti-freeze residue won't hurt you, just makes the water bubble.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:27 PM   #24

If your going to be hauling the trailer for a while I would open the low point drains and by the tim you get to Florida most of the antifreeze will be drained out.Then just flush or use some water freshener to flush
joe_905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_905 View Post
If your going to be hauling the trailer for a while I would open the low point drains and by the tim you get to Florida most of the antifreeze will be drained out.Then just flush or use some water freshener to flush
wow so you're one of those people who others curse as you're driving down the highway spraying onto cars trailing or passing? This may not be illegal but really unethical and immoral.
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Depends. We stopped at a rest station along I-95 in Virginia a few weeks ago. I was walking the dog behind the rest stop where the truck/RV parking was. The sign said "No sewage dumping here" or some such, making it clear that gray water dumping was permitted. Plenty of evidence that it was happening, too.

I consider gray water as sewage. It may contain food, grease and soap residue.
Also, if the winterized with anti-freeze, it is a toxic chemical. Pour some on grass and see the results.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:20 PM   #27

You don’t winterized your gray, black or storage tanks. You just drain them before winter if you open the low drains you might get a couple cups of fluid Over several hundred miles. Less then what you get from your exhaust or air conditioning but the lines will be empty. I live in an area that -40 is common and never had frozen pipes yet and I’m on my 5th rv
joe_905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:48 PM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw1800 View Post
I consider gray water as sewage. It may contain food, grease and soap residue.
Also, if the winterized with anti-freeze, it is a toxic chemical. Pour some on grass and see the results.
R/V antifreeze is not toxic.
You couldn't use it to winterize if it was.

Automotive antifreeze IS TOXIC and should NEVER BE USED to winterize a R/V.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:57 PM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
R/V antifreeze is not toxic.
You couldn't use it to winterize if it was.

Automotive antifreeze IS TOXIC and should NEVER BE USED to winterize a R/V.
But you get a good buzz from it before you stop breathing.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:27 PM   #30

I guess I missed the topic change to automotive anti-freeze....I thought we were still discussing winterizing the water system of an RV.

Silly me.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:31 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
I guess I missed the topic change to automotive anti-freeze....I thought we were still discussing winterizing the water system of an RV.

Silly me.
Some are not aware of the difference between automotive antifreeze and RV antifreeze.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:47 PM   #32
Trailer Park Supervisor

Drinkin' it here boss!
Attached Images

NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:57 PM   #33
Senior Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
You're going to want to sanitize fresh tank and plumbing with bleach when you get down there. You can't just dump and flush the fresh tank at site, the bleach will kill any grass. I would do it at fresh water fill station, or drive it to edge of lot after filling to dump it.
Sanitizing your fresh water tank can be done at anytime. I’ve been RVing fore almost 50 years and have never done it because I never drink the water out of our fresh water tank. I winterized with plumbing antifreeze and flush everything with fresh water in the spring. I carry drinking water or pick it up on the road. The on-board water is used for dishes and washing as is the city water. In most cases if you need to dewinterize on the road you can flush your lines well enough and use containers of water until you get somewhere that you can thoroughly flush your lines. Still I’ve never drank water out of the fresh water tank and never will, after 50 years.
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:26 PM   #34

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Some are not aware of the difference between automotive antifreeze and RV antifreeze.
Ahhhh... some.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiinthesky View Post
I thought it's illegal to dump any waste black or gray onto the ground. Even if the gray is nothing but water.
That depends upon jurisdiction for the gray water tank. In some places it is completely legal to dump gray water on the ground. In other places it is not. If you don't know the exact legality of the location you are at, it's best to not do it, and if you do decide to do it, be discreet.

Black water from a holding tank is always illegal to dump on the ground, even though it may be legal to dig your own personal latrine to use in the middle of the woods.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:14 PM   #36

buddy help us all and tell us your winterizing process.

If you air flush and thats all, you just want to sanitize before drinking.

Do you ever drink the water?
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:16 AM   #37
Georgetown 391

RV Antifreeze turns to slush! Dont forget Washer/Dryers

A lot of folks don't realize that RV Antifreeze does freeze but in a slush like substance. I don't know why any RV Antifreeze would be in your grey or black water tanks as you leave them open during and after winterizing it.

If you use just air don't forget the traps for the sinks as no air will get into them. pour a little RV Antifreeze just to displace the water out of the traps.

Washer dryers are another item that has a procedure to winterize along with any ice makers. Splendid Brand Washer/Dryers gives instructions that are a necessity no matter if you use air or RV antifreeze. They have separate inside valves that have to be cycled. Blowing air or loading RV antifreeze will not go through the device and could freeze up on you. Dishwashers I believe are a similar problem.

Take a glass filled with RV Antifreeze and leave it in your house freezer to see what happens.
kenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:29 AM   #38

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is to be sure to take whatever tools you need to rewinterize for the return trip. We hit cold weather in Florida and had to rewinterize there on the way home.
NC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenson View Post
I don't know why any RV Antifreeze would be in your grey or black water tanks as you leave them open during and after winterizing it.
I leave mine closed and let the AF sit in them all winter.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:32 AM   #40

If you "air dry" your system it's not biggy. Just sanitize as desired and go.
However, if you use antifreeze, it can be a whole nother matter. If you dump it at a park that has its own system the antifreeze can poison it and cost the owner a small fortune to flush out, so it'll have to be disposed of properly just like when you change the antifreeze in you engine.
dlambers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing