Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Diamond Plate For Front Cap

Hello all, new to the forum here. We just purchased our first travel trailer, it is a 2012 Surveyor Select SV304. While shopping we noticed most models had diamond plate, but not the Surveyors. We chose the Surveyor because of it over all fit & finish seemed to be the best, but I am curious about the necessity of the diamond plate. Can this be a dealer added option? Any recommendations for or against diamond plate? Any ideas on the protective films installed by tint shops as an option to diamond plate?
russellokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #2

I was wondering the same when looking. I'm sure it's for added protection from debris and road grime.

I was thinking about spraying some plasti-dip (temporary cheap route) or maybe even spending the $ and having some Line-X or Rhino Lining sprayed on the front or checking into the 3M clear film.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #3

RoadDog...Line-X/Rhino is a FANTASTIC IDEA! Going aftermarket with diamond plate concerned be me on several fronts. 1. Screwing into the gel-coat finish, for multiple reasons 2. Gluing it on and separation and leaking issues. 3. NOT looking factory. The spray on lining is a great idea for many reasons including custom color matching...THANKS!
russellokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Sure thing. Like I said I was thinking of how to deal with the same issues and those solutions were the only minimally intrusive way to attach some protection to the front of the trailer I could think of. Although I will likely try the clear or white plasti-dip first, simply because it's cheaper .
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #5

Before going further I would look to see if the factory installed a sheet of clear plastic instead of the diamond plate. It works just as well, you cannot see it and it is not nearly as heavy. My Cardinal has the clear plastic sheet. And if you don't have the clear plastic I would investigate putting an aftermarket clear plastic sheeting on before putting on the X line truck bed spray.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #6

My old trailer (5th wheel) just had the regular aluminum on it. Didn't look all that bad after ten years. Biggest problem was tar spots. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Site Team

I added diamond plate to ours and it looks great. It's only 1/16" thick and it's screwed into the aluminum framing and sealed with butyl tape.