Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

Did a tour today at Forest River Rockwood plant.

On our way back to Michigan we stopped into Forest River and had a personal tour of the Rockwood plant where our 2906ws was made. Mark Akins took the time out of his busy schedule to give us the tour. Mark was very friendly and knowledgeable and took his time answering all of our questions. The majority of the workers in the plant are Amish and between the ages of 17-25 and they work their butts off. I highly recommend taking the tour.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #2

That is very cool! If I ever find myself out that way I would love to check that out! Ours came from Indiana 😍
Old 04-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #3

I did the tour for my heritage glen during the 4 day span I was told my unit would be built. Dumb luck my camper was in the last stage being cleaned when I did my tour.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaN View Post
That is very cool! If I ever find myself out that way I would love to check that out! Ours came from Indiana 😍
Indiana is where the Forest River plant is. A little town called Millersburg. We seen the whole production from start to finish.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I did the tour for my heritage glen during the 4 day span I was told my unit would be built. Dumb luck my camper was in the last stage being cleaned when I did my tour.
That would have been pretty sweet to see.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Were there Flagstaffs in there too?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Were there Flagstaffs in there too?
Yes there was. Same trailers just different color styles and logo on the outside.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
That would have been pretty sweet to see.

I wanted to tow it to the dealer for a reduced price with no shipping but it wasn't allowed. Im only about an hour north of the plants.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Yes there was. Same trailers just different color styles and logo on the outside.
Oh Yeah, I am a Flagstaff owner myself. I was just seeing if they run both brands at the same time. I'd heard they did.

If I remember correct, when I was looking at both models, the Rockwood version of my Flagstaff is a 8314.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I wanted to tow it to the dealer for a reduced price with no shipping but it wasn't allowed. Im only about an hour north of the plants.
I was just your way about 3 hours ago heading home on 131 north.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Were you in Plant # 10? Youroo!!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Were you in Plant # 10? Youroo!!
BINGO!!!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Oh Yeah, I am a Flagstaff owner myself. I was just seeing if they run both brands at the same time. I'd heard they did.
Wmtire, no they run a line for a week then change to different modles. I have been there 3 xs last time they were running V noses. One time TT and one time I hit it right for 5th wheels. I was told that the quota before they can call it a day was 35 units, they do fly. They even had a father and son team working, that they were really proud of. I'm surprised they come out as good as they do with that kinda of production, a GREAT TOUR.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Wmtire, no they run a line for a week then change to different modles. I have been there 3 xs last time they were running V noses. One time TT and one time I hit it right for 5th wheels. I was told that the quota before they can call it a day was 35 units, they do fly. They even had a father and son team working, that they were really proud of. I'm surprised they come out as good as they do with that kinda of production, a GREAT TOUR.
Yes, but aren't they running both Flagstaff's and Rockwoods of the same model at the same time?

The OP stated such.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes, but aren't they running both Flagstaff's and Rockwoods of the same model at the same time?

The OP stated such.
We walked into a couple different models today during the production on the same assembly line. It could have been just a fluke that they were just finishing up with one model and starting the stages of the next one. It would have been a good question for me to ask if I would have thought about it.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #16

Quote:

The OP stated such.
Not that I know of, they could be the same layouts but there is still a difference, they stock for a certain model, there are piles of fixtures and furniture. Which is different between both brands. To me Flagstaff is a step above Rockwood, frames and walls are the same but that is about it. At least this what I was told, it takes time for them to retool if you know what I mean. Interiors are stacked to the ceiling, then they will switch and bring in the new. It's quit a production line. This stuff is stacked 20 feet high, with fork lifts brings new stuff in all day long.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Not that I know of, they could be the same layouts but there is still a difference, they stock for a certain model, there are piles of fixtures and furniture. Which is different between both brands. To me Flagstaff is a step above Rockwood, frames and walls are the same but that is about it. At least this what I was told, it takes time for them to retool if you know what I mean. Interiors are stacked to the ceiling, then they will switch and bring in the new. It's quit a production line. This stuff is stacked 20 feet high, with fork lifts brings new stuff in all day long.
The only difference between Flagstaff and Rockwood are different outside graphics and interior decor.
The furniture is the same, just different fabrics colors/patterns.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The only difference between Flagstaff and Rockwood are different outside graphics and interior decor.
The furniture is the same, just different fabrics colors/patterns.
That was my experience when looking at both the Rockwood and Flagstaff brands for the same model I wanted. No difference in quality, options, etc. Just differences in colors, patterns, graphics.

I got the Flagstaff due to better pricing and a great dealer. It was a bonus that I also liked the cabinet colors better in my Flagstaff, than the Rockwood.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #19
GMG

Rockwood Plant Tour

We went to the Rockwood plant last year. Our tour was arranged by and with Anthony Yoder who is so knowledgeable about the manufacturing process. He even jumped in and helped the workers as our tour progressed.

We were there the day that our unit was supposed to be made. Turned out that it was going to be made at the end of the day (or possibly the beginning of the next day) and our tour was for 8:00 a.m. This all worked out since my husband noticed that the order was missing something(s) that would have been a pain to deal with after the fact. A trip upstairs to the administrative offices and some research was all that was needed to fix the issue.

We did see some Flagstaffs closer to the end of the line that day.

Mrs. GMG
GMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #20

The model of rockwoods I was looking at had torsion axles and the flagstaffs I looked at had springs at the time only difference I noted however I don't know about now?

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, rockwood