Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2021, 09:49 PM   #1

Did I make a mistake

Decided to purchase a used 2020 Forest River FR3 30DS with 11k miles over a week ago. Was supposed to pick up unit on Saturday. Upon arrival to pick up was informed the windshield wiper motor was bad and unit would not be ready until Tuesday. Did a complete walk thru on Saturday and completed all paperwork for purchase. On Tuesday I was informed the new wiper motor did not fix the problem and the unit had to be taken to Ford for repair. Now being told this is a recall issue from Ford and part will not be available for 4-5 days. Have already made reservations at a RV park and made a non refundable deposit due to it being a holiday weekend. After reading enough reviews to make my eyes cross I am questioning whether or not to take the deposit loss on the RV park or completely back out of the purchase and run as this is one option the representative for LazyDays where I was purchasing the unit from that he offered. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
CSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:57 PM   #2

Did I make a mistake

Before bailing out of the purchase, do an in-depth search of the dealer and see what his history is as far as customer satisfaction posts.

Losing the RV reservation for a weekend will be, as you'll find out as an RV owner, will probably be one of the "minor financial impacts" RV ownership will afford you over the years!
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. My first Class A RV. Dealer has positive ratings and did not walk away feeling like I left a used car dealership. Anyone with any Forest River FR3 30DS info?
Old 09-02-2021, 10:32 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum from the space coast of Florida…

Depending on the distance to the campground you could check the weather and take a chance. Before you go treat your windshield with Rain-X and you won’t need wipers unless you are in a deluge…

I have driven for miles without using the wipers right after treating with Rain-X… just a suggestion.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:32 PM   #5

Go pick up your Motorhome and go camping. Tell them you'll bring it back when they have the part.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:38 PM   #6

If you think one bad windshield wiper is bad, you should try buying a brand new RV...

Like someone else suggested, if the weather forecast supports it take the RV and be sure to get a written "We owe you" form that documents the work the dealership still owes you.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:38 PM   #7

Supposedly Ford is saying it is a safety issue and won’t release it. Wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I completely agree. It’s self contained. Worse case I pull over and hang out till it stops raining. Now I’m really starting to question the dealer. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:41 PM   #8

Actually that does make complete sense. They release the vehicle to you knowing that a safety item does not work. You have a wreck in the rain. They are liable. I would just ride it out. So far everything you have said about them sounds reasonable, in this COVID controlled world that we live in.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:53 PM   #9

Is there a site like car fax that tracks the history on RVs? Should the dealer have provided that at purchase? I know the first year is usually a break in year and is one reason I choose for my first Class A to purchase used. Just trying to cover all aspects before I throw in the towel. Thanks again for all the responses. Navy Vet and haven’t been back to Pensacola since A school. Was looking forward to arriving on Sunday.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:24 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSVS View Post
Thanks for the advice. My first Class A RV. Dealer has positive ratings and did not walk away feeling like I left a used car dealership. Anyone with any Forest River FR3 30DS info?
You should be asking this question in the FR3 sub-forum, not the General Community Discussion section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Is there a site like car fax that tracks the history on RVs? Should the dealer have provided that at purchase? I know the first year is usually a break in year and is one reason I choose for my first Class A to purchase used. Just trying to cover all aspects before I throw in the towel. Thanks again for all the responses. Navy Vet and haven’t been back to Pensacola since A school. Was looking forward to arriving on Sunday.
Everything you have described so far sounds minor compared to the problems that many, many, many people have had with brand new RV's, including my travel trailer. And a dealer that is willing to let you back out of the deal?!? That's a good sign.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:34 AM   #12

Sorry I can't help you with your situation, but I'm also a Navy vet that went to A and C schools in Pensacola. Great location with many memories. Happy travels.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2021, 05:37 AM   #13

Hopefully you find this to be but a minor hiccup along your way to lots of enjoyment and new memories. Let folks here know how your first outing goes. Hope you planned a couple nights of driveway camping before your first trip.
Lee-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Welcome to the forum from the space coast of Florida…

Depending on the distance to the campground you could check the weather and take a chance. Before you go treat your windshield with Rain-X and you won’t need wipers unless you are in a deluge…

I have driven for miles without using the wipers right after treating with Rain-X… just a suggestion.
Agree I had my wipers not once but twice this year go out in the middle of a driving rain. I've always used RAINX and just left the wipers off and had no issues in the rain. Not sure if it's illegal driving without wiper but I had no choice either time. No place to pull over and the second time rained for over an hour. I noticed other Tractor trailer and other Motorhomes didn't have theirs on either. Never paid attention until it happened to me. In fact I think I had better vision than having the wipers running especially when it was heavy rain. JMO
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #15

I purchased my FR3 30DS in 2018 and still glad I did.
Years earlier I purchased an RV at Lazy Days and they have a nice campground on site.
Perhaps you can stay there and get familiar with your new RV before driving away.
Charles Skarbrevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Go pick up your Motorhome and go camping. Tell them you'll bring it back when they have the part.

As warranty issues go that won't be the only problem so get used to it. Reassess the price you paid versus the motorhome you purchased and if you have no buyer's remorse then I say ditto. Pick it up and tell him you'll bring it back when the parts are ready.

The caveat to that is once you're off the lot you don't get nearly the attentiveness you get well there still hanging in the lurch on the deal so don't be surprised if they're willingness to cooperate with you diminishes a little bit. Like somebody said it's all the fun and games of owning a motorhome.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #17

I would tell him you're backing out of the deal unless he'll cover the non-refundable deposit you're going to lose. OR, many campgrounds have campers to rent; tell him you're backing out unless he covers that!
Trek Fuel EX7 gen 5
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSVS
Supposedly Ford is saying it is a safety issue and won’t release it. Wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I completely agree. It’s self contained. Worse case I pull over and hang out till it stops raining. Now I’m really starting to question the dealer. Thanks.
This makes no sense. The windshield wipers and motor usually are selected and installed by Forest River, not Ford, because FR needs to fit them to their front cap.

If you have the VIN, run it on NHTSA.gov and see if there actually is a recall.

If you own the vehicle you own the vehicle. Ford has no legal authority to hold your property. If they insist, tell them you are calling the cops because as far as you're concerned this is theft. But maybe you have not yet completed the purchase?

It's no different than a hospital insisting that you cannot leave and attempting to keep you. Unless you have been determined to be incompetent it's nothing less than kidnapping or unlawful restraint. That's why hospitals have AMA forms, Against Medical Advice, for people to sign. You have no legal obligation to sign such a form so they'll just have their own employees sign that you refused to stay and refused to sign.

Ray
Old 09-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Not sure which Ford chassis you have, but there the is a wiper problem on the F650. Aside from not working, the bulletin says the switch could melt. It did not say anything about fires.

https://auto-recalls.justia.com/ford...000/index.html

What you might try is getting the dealership you are buying the RV from to pony up on your campground deposit. This should have been addressed before it went up for sale.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #20
BMullins46

I agree with Bob213, pick your unit up and go camping for the weekend and then return it to which ever dealer/service center you picked it up from. I also like the idea of having written proof of what they are supposed to fix and when you are to return the vehicle for service.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote