Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #1

Did you cry too? Selling our trailer.

Is it ok that my nearly 300lb frame broke into tears when the new owners pulled it away?

When we made the move to a TT we had to make room and sell our PUP that has been part of our family for 8 great years.

I posted the PUP on craigslist just to see if I would get interest and I got 22 emails before I went to bed that night! ended up selling it for what I asked to a nice family looking to start with a relatively inexpensive PUP to get their feet wet for a few years to see if it is something they want to do seriously. Just like us 8 years ago!

I kept talking to them, telling them stuff as we did the walk-around. I eventually got the feeling that they had enough of me yapping and wanted to get on their way. I think I stopped them 3 times as they were trying to leave giving them some more tidbits and quirks about the trailer. Something like, "oh yeah..don't forget this" and "you want to also do this to it....", and, "always make sure to check this first....".

I kept the license plate and plan to frame it and put it on the wall with a nice pic of the family.

I figure this forum is the best place to share these feelings - and sharing feelings is good right?
BlueOx Swaypro WDH
Husky Quest Brake Controller
cityfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #2

Exact same experience as you when we sold our 2007 Jayco last year. Two of our 3...soon to be 4 grandkids all had their first camping experience in that trailer. I was meticulous in the care of that trailer every fall and spring. Did the walk around with new owners trying to explain everything and how to care for her and they didn't seem too interested in what I saying after about 2 minutes. What tore me up was when we saw the trailer at a local grocery store 3 months later (probably stocking up for weekend trip) and the back bumper was caved in, plywood filled a window that was busted out. Duck tape was holding door together and several of the shades had large holes in them. I did cry a little after that.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #3

Well it’s been just over a year that we have had our tt and our vintage pup and the project pup are still here. We have listed the project a few times but the market for the Apache hard sides is limited. Last night the wife asked about selling the complete one As there is some one who might be interested in it for over 2 times what we have into it. We have the space so I told her no less then that and the buyer would have to meet my approval in being able to take care of it. If it sells it will be a hard day as we put a lot of work into it
Old 04-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #4

My girl friend got all upset and emotional when I sold our TT. She was focusing on all the good times and memories. I was focusing on the new 5th wheel in my yard and all the future good times we are going to have.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfrank View Post
Is it ok that my nearly 300lb frame broke into tears when the new owners pulled it away?

When we made the move to a TT we had to make room and sell our PUP that has been part of our family for 8 great years.

I posted the PUP on craigslist just to see if I would get interest and I got 22 emails before I went to bed that night! ended up selling it for what I asked to a nice family looking to start with a relatively inexpensive PUP to get their feet wet for a few years to see if it is something they want to do seriously. Just like us 8 years ago!

I kept talking to them, telling them stuff as we did the walk-around. I eventually got the feeling that they had enough of me yapping and wanted to get on their way. I think I stopped them 3 times as they were trying to leave giving them some more tidbits and quirks about the trailer. Something like, "oh yeah..don't forget this" and "you want to also do this to it....", and, "always make sure to check this first....".

I kept the license plate and plan to frame it and put it on the wall with a nice pic of the family.

I figure this forum is the best place to share these feelings - and sharing feelings is good right?

Know exactly how you all are feeling...our Windjammer left our yard a week ago today pulled by a TV that wasn't mine. Weird feeling.
Enjoy your new TT.
Happy Trails
Old 04-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

No. I have known it was time for seversl months. DW now, thats a different story. Despite numerous health issues she thinks that it is too soon and would like to camp host one more season. But last year she could barely get out of her chair due to the bwck pain. And it has only gotten worse despite the nsaids DRs have her on.
Now if someone would only come and buy my fiver from me!
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Mine were tears of joy...

Of course, a 2 year old trailer that wound up having over $4000 in repair bills that the extended warranty (that was sold to me by my dealership) offered to pay $150 (after I paid the $150 deductible, of course)...

I loved that TT...but after my experience I couldn't wait to get out of it!

Oh...and no extended warranty on my new 5'ver!

And a different dealer as well...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #8

It didn't bother me a whit when we sold our fifth wheel and diesel four years ago but ages back I hated to see our first motorhome go. I loved the layout but it was getting long in the tooth and it was time. I was glad it went to a nice family who were going to use it as a home base when drag racing. BTW cityfrank good luck down there today. Hope the weather isn't as bad as they are projecting.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
3boxerss

Sounds like me when we sold our hybrid.. They were a very nice family and lik eus it was their first . I typed up a hints and tips page and sent it in with the manuals for them..

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
No. I have known it was time for seversl months. DW now, thats a different story. Despite numerous health issues she thinks that it is too soon and would like to camp host one more season. But last year she could barely get out of her chair due to the bwck pain. And it has only gotten worse despite the nsaids DRs have her on.
Now if someone would only come and buy my fiver from me!
What kind of fiver ya got ?

Also I don't know your wife's medical history or anything but I can say that the NSAIDs did absolutely nothing for me . I was miserable with 2 slipped/bulging discs causing really bad sciatic pain and numbness . The best thing I did was start doing a modified Keto diet I've lost a bunch of weight and haven't taken an anti inflammatory in months . Like I said I know nothing about you guys but I though id share just it case it could help . I hope she feels better .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #11

Back in October we sold our Jayco that we bought new in 2006. It was a very sad day indeed. It was still in perfect condition and even had the original battery.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:

Never. Same with the 30+ so cars and trucks I've owned.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
Sunseeker 2400MBW

My daughter and her BF just sold their first 19ft travel trailer after buying a 26ft. Both got all sentimental. He put it on Craigslist "just to see" and was bombarded with offers. He said the same thing, he was trying to explain everything, all the idiosyncrasies, and the couple was just anxious to go.

BTW, he bought that little trailer new for about $17,000 and just started using it, never ever had a moment's trouble! We've had our fancy MH in at least 5 times for failures including big roof leak and torn slide seal.

And the 19ft had more storage area than their larger new one.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #14

First love

Quote:

Boy do I get it. Our first was an old coachman T.T. that we re-built. Everywhere I would look, there was a memory of our family working together to fix it. It will always be my favorite. Sold it to a brother-in-law just to keep it in the family. I love our present rig but our first will always be my favorite.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #15

We’ve been crying for days. We bought our Forester 3011DS in July 2016, drove her to Alaska and back last summer and had big plans for Canadian trips and western trips. As fate would have it, I caught the flu in February and never recovered. It cascaded into a caseof AML leukemia and kidney failure with the ensuing chemo treatments. So, yes we cry over it, because our traveling days are over.We will have to sell because DW can’t do this on her own.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #16

I get it too!!
We have bought and sold so many cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats homes and trailers but this last one really got to us!
KWhite2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
It didn't bother me a whit when we sold our fifth wheel and diesel four years ago but ages back I hated to see our first motorhome go. I loved the layout but it was getting long in the tooth and it was time. I was glad it went to a nice family who were going to use it as a home base when drag racing. BTW cityfrank good luck down there today. Hope the weather isn't as bad as they are projecting.
The weather IS as bad as they were projecting. It is like January here!
BlueOx Swaypro WDH
Husky Quest Brake Controller
cityfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #18
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
We had the same feelings! As you can see in my signature, we bought our pup back in 87. Put it on Craigslist, and sold it to a guy 3 blocks away within 10 minutes of posting! We had just bought our 5'r at a grand opening of a new dealership, and got their "come on the lot" special.

Our 3 kids grew up in this camper! They complained....why didn't you guys get something like this when we were younger? -we could never afford something like that....and if not for the special, (salesman complained to us that he had been doing this over 40 years, and nobody had ever qualified for it before).

We talked to the new owners at great length, as this was their move up out of a pup tent and had a second kid coming. We went thru everything I had done and what to do for maintenance, etc. I gave him the OK to call anytime he had questions or how to do whatever he might need to do. He said he was looking for almost 7 months, that this was by far the oldest he had looked at, but by far far better than everything else he had looked at. It pays to take care of your rig, be careful when putting it away, and fix whatever is needs when it happens, otherwise the little things all add up. The canvas had no holes, rips or tears....or leaks.

My Family had many great memories in that camper. So far, we have made good ones in the new one, too.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #19

My DD cried when we told her we had gotten rid of our 22 yr old PUP. We hadn't used it for several years (since she went to college) and unfortunately, the mice had gotten into it. Wasn't worth selling at that point.

We didn't have the heart to tell her that it ended up in the "trailer race" at the local speedway!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #20

Remember, it's not the trailer or RV itself that is leaving, it is tied to all the great memories you all had with that trailer. That could be the reason for a few tears.

We began our RV lifestyle with a tiny Pop-Up that had belonged to our neighbors, but was then bought by my sister-in-law who had no place to store it. So they left it in our back driveway next to my boat, with our blessing, of course. We used the pop-up more often than they did and generated many fond memories. Eventually they sold the pop-up, and moved out of state, so we had to find something to replace it. We were hooked.

Our next Pop-Up lasted more than ten years, with even more family adventures with our growing family. Now, 30 years later, and two big TT's, we are in a luxurious fifth wheel and gathering more wonderful family memories. Life is good.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer