Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #21

Do you get HD channels with the Kingquest?
Signguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #22
Site Team

In almost every campground where we camp, there are trees. One has to aim the satellite antenna (not the satellite) through holes in the tree canopy. It matters not whether the antenna is 3 ft. off the ground or 7 ft. There is absolutely no way a person can sight through the holes in the canopy and see the satellite(s). A free SatFinder can see if the tree canopy hole aligns with the satellite. You can't align your antenna (even on your tripod) to point through the tree holes without some sort of meter or app... nor can I.

My base is twice the width of the antenna dish. It does not wiggle for any reason unless someone hits it with a car. Setting my base on the ground seems easier than "feet that get pressed in the ground and then I put one of them screw in dog anchors under it. Then I connect a buggie cord to the two."

BTW, you said in post #7 it takes you "about ten minutes" to set up but I'm doing something wrong if I can't do it in 5 minutes. Not trying to be hardheaded but that seems like strange logic.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #23

You don't, but I can't tell the difference as I have HD at home and SD in the TT. Doesn't matter to me.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #24

I have SD directv in my TT. To be honest, it's as clear as it needs to be to enjoy. Ok, so I can't see each individual blade of grass on a football field. But it still has HD quality IMO... comparable to HD of about 7 years ago or so.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #25

5 minutes to aim and ten minutes total to set up, simple logic.

How do you store that big base in an rv?

I was just pointing out that a tripod is more precise, easier to aim, and easy to store. You were the one that said a tripod is not needed. I was letting others know with it, life Is easier. Some people like to work smart.

Thank you for proving my point that a tripod Is better. As I have never needed an app to find a satellite. With the precise aiming and the meter on the receiver I have never had an issue aiming it.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #26

This is my King Quest. Very light weight, small, no assembly, doesn't matter if it gets bumped and if someone tries to steal it, an alarm goes off. If it is knocked off alignment, it automatically finds the signal again. Mine is set to the 101 and 119 satellites.
I have a plate on the roof if I want to temporarily mount it for open space CGs and if not, it is easily removed and placed on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2412.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	118512  
Old 08-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
SatFinder Lite
It includes a list of all/most/many satellites and you choose (one time only) which few you want to locate.

I just stepped outside to take a look at that app. Wow. Now that is slick. No more "I wonder if it's that camper/tree/truck l, etc... that's blocking my view?"
Thanks for the response.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:22 PM   #28

I agree the Kingquest is great it you don't want HD.

Wish there was an automatic set up for HD that wasn't $1500 and has to be mounted to the rv.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #29

Here is another great mod for anyone with a dish SlimLine Dish Folding LNB Arm Kit - No. 2.

Makes it easier to store the dish.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy71 View Post

Wish there was an automatic set up for HD that wasn't $1500 and has to be mounted to the rv.
I'm 70 years old, wear glasses and dual hearing aid, so HD and stereo are pleasures of the past
Old 08-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #31

Quote:

There is a cheaper auto option....... Switch to Dish. We use a Tailgater and get HD. We sit back and enjoy a beer while watching the manual satellite dish guys mess with their tripod and repointing their dish almost every day.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #32

folding

Quote:
Here is another great mod for anyone with a dish SlimLine Dish Folding LNB Arm Kit - No. 2.

Makes it easier to store the dish.
I did the same thing with my old dish. I just drilled out the spot welds that hold the arm to the bracket and inserted stainless steel bolts, lock washers, and wing nuts. Folds neatly for storage by removing one of the bolts.
I use dishpointer pro app on my android phone. It uses your phones gps, g sensor and back camera to see clear sight to the south as you look at the screen it projects the satelites (you want to see) in a geo arch above the equator.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:22 PM   #33

I did a lot of research on both Direct TV and Dish before I bought Direct TV. Several of the homes in my neighborhood including my next door neighbor, can't use Dish due to the heavy Live Oak trees, our home included. We had the Dish guy out to see if we could get a good signal with a roof mounted dish. He tried for an hour to find a spot, but the angle for Dish network was not possible.
A friend recommended a guy that is an independent Direct dealer/installer and he had a Direct antenna installed on a tripod in my back yard in less than an hour.
Since I already had a Direct set up at home, it was much easier to stay with them for the TT. It only cost me $7 extra a month for the TT.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #34

Another great phone app is Satellite AR. Easy to see all satellites and faster than most.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I use the app to determine if a tree, a camper, an ice cream store is blocking line of sight to the satellite(s). That takes 13 seconds. Yes, then I enter the ZIP code into the receiver. I didn't detail every step. I also run the coax from the trailer to the antenna... I just didn't mention that.
Are you saying your precise-aiming tripod adjusts tilt, elevation and azimuth without making any adjustments to the antenna itself? If so, that is a slick antenna!
Are you saying my ground base is more likely to be bumped than your antenna up on a tripod?
Did I say how many minutes it takes me to set up?
Man, I like that setup! I camp pretty much at the same place every time I go, and yes, I can find a hole in the canopy pretty easily. I suppose I would use that app if I had a smart phone, but don't. Still using the old TracFone. One of these days I guess I'll have to upgrade to a smart phone, and probably copy your satellite dish holder. But so far, I'm okay. I did have it tip over one time during some pretty high winds, but I just tipped it back up and it still worked! No adjusting or anything.That was kind of surprising.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
There is a cheaper auto option....... Switch to Dish. We use a Tailgater and get HD. We sit back and enjoy a beer while watching the manual satellite dish guys mess with their tripod and repointing their dish almost every day.

The Tailgator can only pick up one satellite at the time. I have a Tailgator that I would like to sell. I have mounted a Trav'ler on the Creek but I still carry my portable Direct satellite dish

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The Tailgator can only pick up one satellite at the time. I have a Tailgator that I would like to sell. I have mounted a Trav'ler on the Creek but I still carry my portable Direct satellite dish

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Yep, only one sat at a time so we sometimes have to wait a few seconds when changing channels if we go between HD and SD. But we enjoy the portability and can't see paying $1200 to $1500 for a traveler type static dish. As fast as things are changing in TV land, I'm hoping they soon come out with a good dish that satisfies portability, functionality, and affordability
Old 08-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #38

My King Quest will lock on 4 satellites at once, or so mine does. It will hold all 4 at once so there is no delay when changing channels. I do love the disconnect alarm feature even though I have a stainless steel cable attached to it. If the coax is removed, the alarm sounds.
The Quest can be roof mounted, but if you are under trees, you are screwed unless you can go mobile with it. I have found having it on a low tripod works best for us.
Also, If I'm not mistaken, Dish Network uses satellites in the western sky when Direct TV uses 101 and 119 which are darn near straight over head in my part of the country.