Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to BENTE
Direct TV Question

we have direct tv at the house.. i have a friend that installs it for a living.. he had a extra dish laying around. so he let me have it. i have taken the box from my bedroom out to the sites with us.. well since it has been awhile since we have been out i brought it back to the bedroom. well now is says something about not being a registered box. well we pay for that box every month so it is not unregistered. i am thinking if direct tv sends a signal to my main box and if the rest of the boxes don't respond it becomes unregistered..

here is my question:: do you have to have a seprate box for your camper?

they are not too expensive to rent so that is no big problem to get one for the camper. but if i call and tell them i have taken it camping i am afraiod they will make me pay some dumb fine. what kind of setup for direct tv do ya'll use?

thanks

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
BENTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #2

To answer your question. They won't fine you moving a receiver back and forth. But We have three receivers and pay for three receivers. One stays in the motor home and is known at Direct TV being in our mobile home. Since we also have local channels ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX coming over Direct TV at home, I also pick it up anywhere we park within 200 mile radius. Then it switches to east or west to pick up the ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX channels. We used to transfer one receiver back and forth and it was a pain. When we moved to HD we purchased or leased two HD receivers and one stays in the motor home and the other in the house. As I said, there is a charge for each receiver and also a charge for going to HD along with having a HD recorder/receiver we have at home. Our motorhome and our home are both equipted with HD TVs.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #3

thanks i will call them tonight. i just didn't want to have to go through a bunch of nonsense with them. we have been subscribers since 05 and we get the football package every year i didn't want to get on the phone with them get mad and tell them where to put their service.. i can't miss my steelers

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #4

We use Dish Network and have had no such problems. We simply take the receiver from our bedroom with us in the motorhome. can't see paying the extra $5/mo for another receiver in the motorhome that will only be used for 1 month of the year. However with Dish Network we loose our local channels if we get further than about 200 miles from home as they transmit those on a "spot" beam that is localized.

As far as the company is concerned either Dish or Direct, they don't know where the receiver and the dish that receives the signal is located. Entering the zip code into the receiver transmits nothing to them it just uses it to compute the azimuth and angle so you know where to aim your dish.

I have heard of people on other forums talking about getting all sorts of flak from them though (Direct TV) by calling and asking how to get signal in their RVs. Something about them wanting you to pay for an "RV service plan" or something. Perhaps they have changed that policy since then.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #5

see i seen a advertizement during bowl week about some kind of mobile direct tv thing. it was like $300 but it had a sat that sits on top of your rig and finds the signal automaticly.. i can find the signal and do not see paying that kind of money for it..

i will let ya'll know later what they say

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Commercial Member

It is because that receiver was sitting inactive for a period of time.

I had the same thing when I had a dedicated receiver in the RV. You just need to call and tell them that it is in a rec room or something that hasn't been used for awhile.

I dropped the extra $5/month and just use the one from the house now.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENTE View Post
see i seen a advertizement during bowl week about some kind of mobile direct tv thing. it was like $300 but it had a sat that sits on top of your rig and finds the signal automaticly.. i can find the signal and do not see paying that kind of money for it..

i will let ya'll know later what they say
Was it a dish system or just a signal finder?
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #8

i am pretty sure it was a dish system.

i like the rec room idea!

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #9

Quote:
we have direct tv at the house.. i have a friend that installs it for a living.. he had a extra dish laying around. so he let me have it. i have taken the box from my bedroom out to the sites with us.. well since it has been awhile since we have been out i brought it back to the bedroom. well now is says something about not being a registered box. well we pay for that box every month so it is not unregistered. i am thinking if direct tv sends a signal to my main box and if the rest of the boxes don't respond it becomes unregistered..

here is my question:: do you have to have a seprate box for your camper?

they are not too expensive to rent so that is no big problem to get one for the camper. but if i call and tell them i have taken it camping i am afraiod they will make me pay some dumb fine. what kind of setup for direct tv do ya'll use?

thanks
We have Direct TV as well and I leave the extra box in the camper all Winter long. When camping season starts and I turn the box on I have to call Direct TV to reactive it and the reason is when the box is not connected to a phone jack and not in use " which they can detect" it can not get up dates from Direct TV, so at that point they shut it down. Now I have two other boxes in my house and they are not connected to a phone jack but they are active and if try to buy a movie and the time has lapse for a phone jack connection, I can not buy a move all I do is connect the box to a phone line for 24 hours and then I can buy a movie. We camp in Hershey PA and when I use Dirct TV I get all the channels in my zip code, Direct TV has no Idea where the box is.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have a DirecTV Tivo receiver in our motorhome. We've never had any issues with DirecTV even after inactivity of the unit during the winter months. I set it up to record a bunch of stuff and we watch those if we're in an area that's blocked by trees, but most of the time we're receiving programs from the satelite. I usually watch football and Nascar out there in the driveway when it's nicer weather.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I usually watch football and Nascar out there in the driveway when it's nicer weather.
Ahhh, yess, the 37 foot man cave. Although I don't watch TV in mine I do keep the fridge running to keep my beer cold in the summer when I am out working in the garage
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Ahhh, yess, the 37 foot man cave. Although I don't watch TV in mine I do keep the fridge running to keep my beer cold in the summer when I am out working in the garage
During the summer I'll turn on the TV in the evening and watch, well sleep through some great TV. That beer is sounding really good about now.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #13

So I have a different question along the same lines. I have direct tv as of this year and was planning to take a box with me in the 5er. I have a dish and am set up but having a problem.

The two satelite dish I use are different so the one on my house is a new SWM they call it and the 5er one is a regular 18-20 oval. Anyone know if the reciever (basic non HD) setting has to be changed for the different dish to work.

I hook my home dish to the 5er and my reciever works, if I hook the portable dish it doesnt.
pluguglyinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluguglyinhere View Post
So I have a different question along the same lines. I have direct tv as of this year and was planning to take a box with me in the 5er. I have a dish and am set up but having a problem.

The two satelite dish I use are different so the one on my house is a new SWM they call it and the 5er one is a regular 18-20 oval. Anyone know if the reciever (basic non HD) setting has to be changed for the different dish to work.

I hook my home dish to the 5er and my reciever works, if I hook the portable dish it doesnt.
In the set-up there is a screen where you pick the type of dish you are using. I'm sure it makes a difference. It will usually show the number of LNB as well. This is the software built into the receiver. Just follow the set up instruction after changing the type dish you are using and you should be good to go.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #15

After 30 days of no power and signal from the dish the box loses it mind. You can actually "refresh" your box from your laptop and save yourself a long wait on hold with DirecTv. I Have this problem all summer with the rv's box. A lady at DirecTv finally told me how to do it online. Go to https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mydir...horization.jsp

Use this link, log into your account, pick the box in the rv and send the refresh signal. You are back in business before you could get through half the prompts on the telephone.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #16

hey papa1 thanks for the link.. i actually have not had any problems with the unit since my original post. but i will keep that link....

thanks again

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
Old 06-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #17
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
Quote:
thanks i will call them tonight. i just didn't want to have to go through a bunch of nonsense with them. we have been subscribers since 05 and we get the football package every year i didn't want to get on the phone with them get mad and tell them where to put their service.. i can't miss my steelers
Go Steelers!!!!

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote