Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #1

Directv network channels?

Been notified by directv I will be losing abc,nbc,cbs. East coast channels on June 1st. because of Stelar. Act. Any ideas in on how to get local channels. We are full timers. RV is home. Is dish network also losing those channels?
Txtraveler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #2

Could be wrong but I think it would be because of non renewal of Stelar Act. Don't think Dish is affected though.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #3

Read this (and articles like it) for real details: https://www.google.com/amp/s/tvanswe...-channels/amp/

It appears you will only lose these channels if you subscribe to the distant network option to receive major networks out of the local spot beam area.
If you use the locals for your actual area, sounds like you are good.
Either way, everyone I know who was on DirectTV, has now moved to another option, mainly Dish.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #4

Thanks , Seems like I will be looking at dish network
Old 05-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #5

Don't think Dish will provide major networks out of your viewing area (unless you fall into a specific category) and that sounds like what is being done by Directv. I think your local major networks (within your viewing area) will still be broadcast via Directv. I am not familiar with the Steler Act. Could be wrong.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

I would be happy with local channels from anywhere. We are full timers. I am confused about local channels?
Old 05-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #7

Local channels (major networks ie. ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX etc. not local independents) are the channels broadcast to the location where you are. My locals (home) are in Waco TX but when I am in Colorado Springs CO I am outside Waco's viewing area and therefore call dish and have my local channels changed to those that are broadcast to Colorado Springs. My home locals are usually lost when more than 300 (approximately) miles from home. Every time I move to a new location I call Dish and change the local networks to where I'm at. My billing address does not change, just the local network channels feed.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #8

That’s what I am looking for. Sounds easy to change local networks as we travel across America. Thanks
Old 05-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Local channels (major networks ie. ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX etc. not local independents) are the channels broadcast to the location where you are. My locals (home) are in Waco TX but when I am in Colorado Springs CO I am outside Waco's viewing area and therefore call dish and have my local channels changed to those that are broadcast to Colorado Springs. My home locals are usually lost when more than 300 (approximately) miles from home. Every time I move to a new location I call Dish and change the local networks to where I'm at. My billing address does not change, just the local network channels feed.
X2
Also with dish if you have the "dongle" you can scan for OTA network channels in your area and they will show up in the guide.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
X2
Also with dish if you have the "dongle" you can scan for OTA network channels in your area and they will show up in the guide.
And if you had a Dish VIP211K receiver you wouldn't even need an adapter. Just connect the over the air antenna coax to the VIP211K receiver direct. I typically just switch to the OVA antenna when wanting local stations even though I use a Wally and/or the VIP211K receivers.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:03 PM   #11

What is a dongle?
Old 05-30-2020, 12:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txtraveler55 View Post
What is a dongle?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...3jZ3Xe3YmtYHVi
Old 05-30-2020, 06:06 AM   #13
"On the road again"

Quote:
Thanks , Seems like I will be looking at dish network
For a multitude of reasons we left DirecTV last October and went to Dish and haven't looked back.

Since AT&T bought them out, we saw nothing but declining service and increasing prices. I finally got fed up and bailed from DirecTV after probably 18 years of service with them.

It was such an exhilarating feeling.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
For a multitude of reasons we left DirecTV last October and went to Dish and haven't looked back.

Since AT&T bought them out, we saw nothing but declining service and increasing prices. I finally got fed up and bailed from DirecTV after probably 18 years of service with them.

AT&T was considering a merge with Dish but that has not taken place yet.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
That was a rumor from a year ago. The new rumor is that AT&T will sell Direct and Dish would buy them. But like every rumor, it changes weekly. But the good thing is since both companies are hemorrhaging customers, you can call customer retention at the appropriate times in your contract, threaten to leave, and they will bend over backwards to keep you. At least that has been our experience.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #16

Quote:
I would be happy with local channels from anywhere. We are full timers. I am confused about local channels?
Quote:
Been notified by directv I will be losing abc,nbc,cbs. East coast channels on June 1st. because of Stelar. Act. Any ideas in on how to get local channels. We are full timers. RV is home. Is dish network also losing those channels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post

5 years ago I was at a campground in lower NY and called DirecTV to have my "service address" (address where they think the receivers are) changed. After we left there we realized that we never lost those local major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) no matter where we went. Even all the way out to Rapid City, SD. Found out that the New York City metropolitan area as well as Los Angeles metro area are "national feeds" (as in wide beam). Therefore, I have never had to call them for a "service address" change since.

Just be aware that as you move across the country, the programming times do not change as you change time zones. So, if you watched Dr. Phil on CBS at 3pm in NY, it will be on at 1pm in Rapid City. Same thing with your "prime time" shows. If it starts a 8pm in the east, it will be on earlier as you go west. If you can flow with that then it's a whole lot easier than calling to change your location every time you move.

One more thing; Those of you who still have a sticks & bricks home. If there is still anyone (family) living there while you're living your dream, they will loose the locals in the home area if you change your service address as you travel. But, if you use a NY or LA service address, that's the locals you both will get.

If I really need to see the "local news" where I am, I just crank up the OTA antenna or hook up to the park cable if available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post

X2 I feel ya! I haven't switched YET!....only due to the Travel'r automatic roof mounted DirecTv dish I have. But!!, it's getting close.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #17

Yea that’s my problem, I have Trav’ler and it’s $2,000 bucks to switch. I can stream but sometimes I don’t have a Verizon signal. I’m tempted to purchase a Wineguard carry out. I’m hoping that Dish and Direct merge
travlinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinon View Post
Yea that’s my problem, I have Trav’ler and it’s $2,000 bucks to switch. I can stream but sometimes I don’t have a Verizon signal. I’m tempted to purchase a Wineguard carry out. I’m hoping that Dish and Direct merge
Do a Google search for converting Trav'ler from Direct to Dish. Lots of videos and articles.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:59 AM   #19
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
If that happens, I'll be out of the satellite business and watch old DVDs or something. I'll never, ever support AT&T with a dime of my money.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 05-31-2020, 07:01 AM   #20
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That was a rumor from a year ago. The new rumor is that AT&T will sell Direct and Dish would buy them. But like every rumor, it changes weekly. But the good thing is since both companies are hemorrhaging customers, you can call customer retention at the appropriate times in your contract, threaten to leave, and they will bend over backwards to keep you. At least that has been our experience.
That HAD been my experience, about every six months I'd make that call to DirecTV and they'd give me a special deal.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when they gave me a $25 discount for six months - then summarily INCREASED my bill by $75 at the end of that period...making it a net $50 increase in my monthly charges.

That's when I left the bunch of crooks.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS