Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Directv network channels?

Been notified by directv I will be losing abc,nbc,cbs. East coast channels on June 1st. because of Stelar. Act. Any ideas in on how to get local channels. We are full timers. RV is home. Is dish network also losing those channels?
__________________

Txtraveler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,892
Could be wrong but I think it would be because of non renewal of Stelar Act. Don't think Dish is affected though.
__________________

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 5,784
Read this (and articles like it) for real details: https://www.google.com/amp/s/tvanswe...-channels/amp/

It appears you will only lose these channels if you subscribe to the distant network option to receive major networks out of the local spot beam area.
If you use the locals for your actual area, sounds like you are good.
Either way, everyone I know who was on DirectTV, has now moved to another option, mainly Dish.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Thanks , Seems like I will be looking at dish network
Txtraveler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,892
Don't think Dish will provide major networks out of your viewing area (unless you fall into a specific category) and that sounds like what is being done by Directv. I think your local major networks (within your viewing area) will still be broadcast via Directv. I am not familiar with the Steler Act. Could be wrong.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 14
I would be happy with local channels from anywhere. We are full timers. I am confused about local channels?
Txtraveler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,892
Local channels (major networks ie. ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX etc. not local independents) are the channels broadcast to the location where you are. My locals (home) are in Waco TX but when I am in Colorado Springs CO I am outside Waco's viewing area and therefore call dish and have my local channels changed to those that are broadcast to Colorado Springs. My home locals are usually lost when more than 300 (approximately) miles from home. Every time I move to a new location I call Dish and change the local networks to where I'm at. My billing address does not change, just the local network channels feed.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Thatís what I am looking for. Sounds easy to change local networks as we travel across America. Thanks
Txtraveler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
cboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Local channels (major networks ie. ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX etc. not local independents) are the channels broadcast to the location where you are. My locals (home) are in Waco TX but when I am in Colorado Springs CO I am outside Waco's viewing area and therefore call dish and have my local channels changed to those that are broadcast to Colorado Springs. My home locals are usually lost when more than 300 (approximately) miles from home. Every time I move to a new location I call Dish and change the local networks to where I'm at. My billing address does not change, just the local network channels feed.
X2
Also with dish if you have the "dongle" you can scan for OTA network channels in your area and they will show up in the guide.
__________________
Craig & Cath
2018 2902WS Rockwood Ultra Lite
2017 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.2 gas
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2016(retirement): 837
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
X2
Also with dish if you have the "dongle" you can scan for OTA network channels in your area and they will show up in the guide.
And if you had a Dish VIP211K receiver you wouldn't even need an adapter. Just connect the over the air antenna coax to the VIP211K receiver direct. I typically just switch to the OVA antenna when wanting local stations even though I use a Wally and/or the VIP211K receivers.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:03 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 14
What is a dongle?
Txtraveler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txtraveler55 View Post
What is a dongle?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...3jZ3Xe3YmtYHVi
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:06 AM   #13
"On the road again"
 
rjshiflet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Parker County Texas
Posts: 1,066
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txtraveler55 View Post
Thanks , Seems like I will be looking at dish network
For a multitude of reasons we left DirecTV last October and went to Dish and haven't looked back.

Since AT&T bought them out, we saw nothing but declining service and increasing prices. I finally got fed up and bailed from DirecTV after probably 18 years of service with them.


It was such an exhilarating feeling.
__________________

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Retired JSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
For a multitude of reasons we left DirecTV last October and went to Dish and haven't looked back.

Since AT&T bought them out, we saw nothing but declining service and increasing prices. I finally got fed up and bailed from DirecTV after probably 18 years of service with them.


It was such an exhilarating feeling.


AT&T was considering a merge with Dish but that has not taken place yet.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
AT&T was considering a merge with Dish but that has not taken place yet.
That was a rumor from a year ago. The new rumor is that AT&T will sell Direct and Dish would buy them. But like every rumor, it changes weekly. But the good thing is since both companies are hemorrhaging customers, you can call customer retention at the appropriate times in your contract, threaten to leave, and they will bend over backwards to keep you. At least that has been our experience.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txtraveler55 View Post
I would be happy with local channels from anywhere. We are full timers. I am confused about local channels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txtraveler55 View Post
Been notified by directv I will be losing abc,nbc,cbs. East coast channels on June 1st. because of Stelar. Act. Any ideas in on how to get local channels. We are full timers. RV is home. Is dish network also losing those channels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Local channels (major networks ie. ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX etc. not local independents) are the channels broadcast to the location where you are. My locals (home) are in Waco TX but when I am in Colorado Springs CO I am outside Waco's viewing area and therefore call dish and have my local channels changed to those that are broadcast to Colorado Springs. My home locals are usually lost when more than 300 (approximately) miles from home. Every time I move to a new location I call Dish and change the local networks to where I'm at. My billing address does not change, just the local network channels feed.

5 years ago I was at a campground in lower NY and called DirecTV to have my "service address" (address where they think the receivers are) changed. After we left there we realized that we never lost those local major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) no matter where we went. Even all the way out to Rapid City, SD. Found out that the New York City metropolitan area as well as Los Angeles metro area are "national feeds" (as in wide beam). Therefore, I have never had to call them for a "service address" change since.

Just be aware that as you move across the country, the programming times do not change as you change time zones. So, if you watched Dr. Phil on CBS at 3pm in NY, it will be on at 1pm in Rapid City. Same thing with your "prime time" shows. If it starts a 8pm in the east, it will be on earlier as you go west. If you can flow with that then it's a whole lot easier than calling to change your location every time you move.

One more thing; Those of you who still have a sticks & bricks home. If there is still anyone (family) living there while you're living your dream, they will loose the locals in the home area if you change your service address as you travel. But, if you use a NY or LA service address, that's the locals you both will get.

If I really need to see the "local news" where I am, I just crank up the OTA antenna or hook up to the park cable if available.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
For a multitude of reasons we left DirecTV last October and went to Dish and haven't looked back.

Since AT&T bought them out, we saw nothing but declining service and increasing prices. I finally got fed up and bailed from DirecTV after probably 18 years of service with them.


It was such an exhilarating feeling.
X2 I feel ya! I haven't switched YET!....only due to the Travel'r automatic roof mounted DirecTv dish I have. But!!, it's getting close.
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 86
Yea thatís my problem, I have Travíler and itís $2,000 bucks to switch. I can stream but sometimes I donít have a Verizon signal. Iím tempted to purchase a Wineguard carry out. Iím hoping that Dish and Direct merge
travlinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinon View Post
Yea thatís my problem, I have Travíler and itís $2,000 bucks to switch. I can stream but sometimes I donít have a Verizon signal. Iím tempted to purchase a Wineguard carry out. Iím hoping that Dish and Direct merge
Do a Google search for converting Trav'ler from Direct to Dish. Lots of videos and articles.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:59 AM   #19
"On the road again"
 
rjshiflet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Parker County Texas
Posts: 1,066
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
AT&T was considering a merge with Dish but that has not taken place yet.
If that happens, I'll be out of the satellite business and watch old DVDs or something. I'll never, ever support AT&T with a dime of my money.
__________________

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:01 AM   #20
"On the road again"
 
rjshiflet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Parker County Texas
Posts: 1,066
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That was a rumor from a year ago. The new rumor is that AT&T will sell Direct and Dish would buy them. But like every rumor, it changes weekly. But the good thing is since both companies are hemorrhaging customers, you can call customer retention at the appropriate times in your contract, threaten to leave, and they will bend over backwards to keep you. At least that has been our experience.
That HAD been my experience, about every six months I'd make that call to DirecTV and they'd give me a special deal.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when they gave me a $25 discount for six months - then summarily INCREASED my bill by $75 at the end of that period...making it a net $50 increase in my monthly charges.

That's when I left the bunch of crooks.
__________________

__________________

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.


×