Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
I just switched to Dish after 19 years with their "rv' package. Just did this today and have not yet received the new equipment. My only concern is how easy it is to "switch" locations. nightly, when at a new rv park?

Very easy - chat, phone, android/IOS apps. Make sure they know to ONLY CHANGE SERVICE ADDRESS.

I've used it all across the country, we're full time and with very few exceptions, have not had a problem.
capemayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danshoes View Post
We have been full timers for 13 years, still traveling extensively. So much to see and do! What a fabulous country we live in! Since I love to watch TV late at night (night owl here) access to the local stations of Los Angeles and New York was a necessity for recording favorite programs. Now DRECTV is cancelling this privilege because of Congress blah blah blah (read $$$). Has anybody else been affected by this decision and what is your solution to this problem?
We no longer have DTV. We dropped it and went to OTA free tv but when we had it we kept our billing address unchanged but would call and change our service address. That way we could get the local channels wherever we were camping. No charge to change.
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:44 PM   #23

We've had two DTV accounts since 2012 when we decided we wanted the DNS service. We live East of the Mississippi so we were able to get the East Coast network stations. With congress failing to renew the availability of DNS, we're cancelling the RV account and will, for future trips, pull a box from the house to use while traveling. We, of course, will not have any of the standard broadcast networks because our situation at home doesn't allow us to change the service location.

Phil.
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:04 AM   #24

It's your money,it's your Lifestyle. None of this applies to me,but I'm a Complete Moron that enjoys lending a Sympathetic Ear,and a Hand,to someone in trouble... Your the Captain,and it sounds like you're looking for loopholes,or something You've missed in order to stay "Status Quo". It doesn't sound like You're going to make it.
These Folks have shared with You,and maybe they have provided Good Answers that You may not want to hear! This happens. Drop Direct TV and their Shenanigans! Start a new Topic Thread here regarding finding a New,Competent Service Provider that meshes with Your RV Lifestyle. You are in a niche market. The "Big Fish" want quick&easy Customers. You ain't it! You may end up picking Parks that have the capability to accommodate Your "Night Owlery Needs". Get out Your wallet,and Good Luck!
cedarcreekbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #25

I was a DRTV using for many years, when ATT took over I quit. I went to Dish with there monthly pay as you go, it cost me a total of 345.00 to change, got the playmaker and box for that. I have had it for a year now, you can get locals no matter where your at. If you buy there full package you might be able to do what you want. If a person has Dish at home it cost 7 bucks a month for your RV programing, if you don’t I think it starts somewhere near 40 bucks for what they call 50 channels, if you want locals it’s about an additional 12 bucks a month more, you can change them daily if you need to. Dish has been so easy compared to Directv/ATT

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #26

Oh yes I have a Wally receiver, to do what you want to do you need the upgraded receiver I think it is called a Joey.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #27

If one has dish at home it costs nothing extra a month if the home receiver is used in the rv. If a separate receiver is used in the rv it is $7.00 a month extra for full time or can be added for only monthly time used. The home receiver of course has to be compatible with a carryout for no charge.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #28

We had Direct for five years when we lived in Durando because of terrible cable supplier. Direct was the only game in town at the time.
Have not had a sticks & bricks since 2003
Old 05-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #29

I understand the need to have access to local channels. My wife is a huge Pirates fan and must, I repeat MUST be able to watch the games. We travel across the country and use Slingbox and our cellular service. It allows us to watch tv just like we are sitting at home whether we are in PA, NM, ND or even while traveling to the next campsite. We have 2 Slingboxes attached to our Dish receiver at home. That way I can watch what I want at the same time. I believe the new Dish receivers have Slingbox built in, but they use a proprietary player so I prefer to use external Slingboxes (M2s) that have better software. Slingbox uses the internet to transmit the video and the service is free, you just have to buy the boxes. In areas that are marginal with 3G only it is watchable although it's standard def and not HD. In areas where there are 0 to 1 bar we use a cell phone booster and are able to get a decent signal. Added bonus: we can camp in wooded areas and never have to align a dish.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #30

Oh, another bonus - you can use your laptop at home and watch your shows anywhere in the house or out on the deck and you don't have to pay $7-10 a month for the extra boxes. If you want to watch it on the big tv just connect your laptop to it and a wireless mouse to work the remote functions.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumbert View Post
Oh, another bonus - you can use your laptop at home and watch your shows anywhere in the house or out on the deck and you don't have to pay $7-10 a month for the extra boxes. If you want to watch it on the big tv just connect your laptop to it and a wireless mouse to work the remote functions.
Agreed, Slingbox is great..... When you have a signal. I know we have sat TV because we frequently are in places with absolutely no signal.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #32

With the cell phone booster we get it to work in places like the Rez where there are 0 bars and the booster can only get it to 1 bar.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumbert View Post
With the cell phone booster we get it to work in places like the Rez where there are 0 bars and the booster can only get it to 1 bar.
That's excellent!
But now come try it in my favorite spots in the Gila National Forest in NM. We have friends who stream everything and have tried all kinds of gadgets w/o success. They finally bought an automatic portable dish as she can't be w/o her television...........*sigh*
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #34

I can only think of 1 time at a campground in PA between Breezewood and Gettysburg we couldn't get a signal. It was in a valley in the mountains. Needless to say we "had" to go the next morning
Old 05-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #35

Haven't been Gila, but we have friends in Shiprock NM and have had good success in many of the areas around there. I will have to check out Gila next time we go out there - maybe this year - no plans yet but that is the great thing about motorhomes, pick up and go at a moments notice.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #36

Had DirecTV for years and quit them to go with DISH and Playmaker automatic satellite finder and Joey receiver. It's just okay. Takes a while to find the satellite; there can't be ANYTHING in the way. At least with DirecTV I could find the satellites with my portable tri-pod setup way faster than the auto one. To be honest, personally I hate both satellite providers. They pretty much do what they want with not much consideration for the customer. But it's my choice to keep or not...
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #37

The more I read about DirecTV in various threads the more I am convinced that I will go with Dish if and when I decide. I will invest in something I can use at home and on the road.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danshoes View Post
We have been full timers for 13 years, still traveling extensively. So much to see and do! What a fabulous country we live in! Since I love to watch TV late at night (night owl here) access to the local stations of Los Angeles and New York was a necessity for recording favorite programs. Now DRECTV is cancelling this privilege because of Congress blah blah blah (read $$$). Has anybody else been affected by this decision and what is your solution to this problem?

I have DTv too. I'm gonna add something like YouTubeTV with unlimited cloud DVR. Yes it'll cost more money and yes I'll have to have good internet to use. You asked, that's what I'm gonna do.
tboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #39

We have had East and west service since dtv first went online. We were also notified that it was going away. I don’t believe it’s dtv making the change but a change in the communication law. Local stations have been fighting to eliminate this program for years. No solution as far as I can see except record the late night shows and watch them the next day.
johnsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #40

I still get the alternative L.A. channels:

391 CBSwHD
393 NBCwHD
395 CWw (5)
397 ABCwHD
399 FOXwHD

I never got the east coast (NY) channels. They are on the channels between the Los Angeles (392, 394, etc.). They've always been grayed out. Funny thing happened last summer, when we drove back to Michigan. Most of the time, the channels still worked, on their regular channels. A couple times we had to watch the alt. channels. I had been told that the locals were "spot broadcast" & once we were 100 miles, out of SoCal, we'd have to watch the 390's. Go figure.
cartpix is offline   Reply With Quote