Old 12-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #1

Directv via AT&T phone instead of satellite dish?

Now that AT&T owns Directv I can get my directv programming on my phone without counting towards data plan. With a device called a ScreenBeam Mini2 I am able to screen share/mirror from my phone to my HDMI port on TV.

Anyone doing this yet in your RV as an alternative to installing a satellite dish on the RV?

Guess it all depends upon cell reception but in populated areas this should not be a big problem.

Thoughts?
BobV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

It's called DirectTV now and it's not up to snuff yet. I signed up today for their promo where you get the $50 a month plan for $35 a month. If you prepay 3 Mon. You get a free $200 AppleTV. Do it an ATT store and walk out with the free Apple. That deal gives you a logon for your browser and your phone. Tried a couple programs tonight and they were not watchable. Nice AppleTV though. You can cancel anytime with no penalty and still keep the Apple.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:20 PM   #3

I have AT&T phones and DirectTV and watch live tv from my phone. This is the DirectTV app and not called DirectTv Now. This is free for DirectTV subscribers, and will be available until and if Obama's "Net Neutrality" causes Direct TV to take it down under the theory that the free mobile TV access gives AT&T customers an unfair advantage. The channels you pay for under your regular DirectTV subscription are available to watch, with the exception of local channels. The quality is fantastic. I have had no problem with cell reception even in most remote areas.

As I have unlimited data, it doesn't matter to me, but for those who don't have true unlimited data, the DirectTV doesn't count as data use. Quality is great. You can use the DVR in your home as well and play from it remotely, as long as your DVR is connected to the internet. I don't use this function, as I use satellite internet at a remote residence, without enough capacity to use the DVR function. I can, however, command my home DVR to record remotely using the app.

This works great for me, costs absolutely nothing extra, and eliminates the need for any satellite dish while travelling.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite