Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
The tailgater has smaller dish, and is very susceptible to any trees.

I got the Dishpointer Pro app, and it shows me A) where the satellites are and B) a picture of what is between me and them. If anything is between, dish has to move somewhere else.
I had the Dishpointer Pro App also, but it was on an Android phone. It worked great. Then I got an Apple phone and downloaded the Dishpointer Pro app for IPhones and the app is pure garbage. I tried contacting the Dishpointer Pro people and never could. Then I found SatFinder Lite. Unlike Dishpointer Pro, it is a free app and also works great! I believe in giving credit when due and I believe in trashing companies that provide lousy products and/or service. There! I feel better now!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrywife45 View Post
Do you have a recommendation on the cable? Where to get it, which one?

I am going to try one more time in June....will still be in my 90 day window (I thought it was 30 but I was wrong) and will still be an argument with camping world.

And get the App.....I need the app.

Thanks everyone for all the help....been busy and have not been able to get back for a while.
Might look at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBVYAZC..._7BD7CbKSNM50Y
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #23

Anyone have any information on which cable to pick up? We are leaving on the 25th of June for out next trip.

Thanks!
countrywife45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #24

what ‘cable’ are you referring to? Coax?

your portable antenna will already come with it

also, take your new antenna and new receiver home and try it there first, its a lot easier to get to know how it works before your ‘first trip’
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Anyone have any information on which cable to pick up? We are leaving on the 25th of June for out next trip.

Thanks!
As mentioned, your dish should of come with 50' to 75' of cable. If you want extra cable (we carry 200'), buy a good quality RG6 coax. Not the cheapest one, also don't need the most expensive either.
Enjoy!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #26

Come by my trailer. I have about 9 different lengths of RG6. I don't know why. Boy Scout training maybe? LOL

I don't use any of it very often, splurged on a Trav'lr.

But if I was buying again, I might buy two lengths of RG11.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
what ‘cable’ are you referring to? Coax?

your portable antenna will already come with it

also, take your new antenna and new receiver home and try it there first, its a lot easier to get to know how it works before your ‘first trip’
My post was based on the information given to me by everyone on the previous pages. No, the cable in my box did not perform. Yes, it was hooked up at home and functioning before the trip.

It was suggested to me by others to purchase a better quality cable, I was inquiring as to what brand I should try based on that advice.
countrywife45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #28

Quote:
My post was based on the information given to me by everyone on the previous pages. No, the cable in my box did not perform. Yes, it was hooked up at home and functioning before the trip.

It was suggested to me by others to purchase a better quality cable, I was inquiring as to what brand I should try based on that advice.
There are many brands out there but the better advice I would recommend is to purchase a 50 ft quad RG6 coax cable (terminated on both ends of course). The cable that comes with carry outs is typically a standard RG6 coax cable (2 levels of shielding) where as a quad RG6 coax has 4 levels of shielding. Will it help? Maybe, maybe not. The post with the hyperlink (post #22) is for that kind of coax but it is also available at Lowes/Home Depot/ etc..
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #29

Coax does not need to be terminated on both ends. Of course my idea of termination as an engineer may be different than others LOL
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Coax does not need to be terminated on both ends. Of course my idea of termination as an engineer may be different than others LOL
Of course it doesn't have to be terminated at all. However; the input was for a prefabricated ready made coax cable ready to go for the OP. Some people have issues with installing connectors; especially on coax cable. My input was for the OP and not for an electrical engineer such as yourself. You would not be posting an issue such as this, I mean, being an electrical engineer and all.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #31

Got mine at CW https://www.campingworld.com/audiovo...%27-68950.html
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Of course it doesn't have to be terminated at all. However; the input was for a prefabricated ready made coax cable ready to go for the OP. Some people have issues with installing connectors; especially on coax cable. My input was for the OP and not for an electrical engineer such as yourself. You would not be posting an issue such as this, I mean, being an electrical engineer and all.
Typically, when terminations are discussed with a coax cable, its a termination load at the end of the cable matching the impedance of the cable. Not needed with a satellite system since the receiver has an input impedance matching the cable impedance. Just clarifying for people since terminations can mean one of two things.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #33
rbg

We also invested in a tailgater 4 and I have spent this past week trying to get it working here at our house. It worked great when it was on the ground hooked up direct but when we moved it to the roof mount it would not connect. We got the same run around from the dish outdoor techs who transferred me to the King Techs who only let you leave messages and then dont call back. We finally got it to work on the roof by being in a large parking lot. It does seem to be too sensitive to any kind of obstructions . We will get the app for satellite locations but are very disappointed in the product and the support that they advertise. We are going to head to Wyoming and Montana next week hope it works?
rbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:27 AM   #34

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg View Post
... It worked great when it was on the ground hooked up direct but... We finally got it to work on the roof by being in a large parking lot.

It does seem to be too sensitive to any kind of obstructions ...

well, ANY kind of obstructions will render ANY satellite antenna useless - you cannot have any obstructions and 'expect' your antenna to magically 'work' ! (though, it's truly amazing 'how' they DO work, when they do!)

I know it can seem disappointing, or aggravating, at times when you 'think' you don't have any, but obstructions are the ONLY real source of problems with satellite reception in the first place, and can sometimes be there even though you would think they aren't.
There needs to be a sliver of openness that must be available between the satellite in the sky, and the antenna's eyeball - plain and simple. If not, you'll constantly have issues with reception. Sometimes we 'think' the eyeball should have no problem 'seeing' the satellites, but we may not realize that, yes, there is actually something 'in the way'... a stray branch, the edge of a building, our own air conditioner cover on our RV's roof, or in the northern states, the relatively 'lower' position of the satellites on the horizon.

I, too, have been aggravated several times over the years, in certain 'new' situations, where I would have guaranteed(swore!) that my 'line of sight' was perfect, and yet found out later, after calls to tech support, to King, and to Dish, that I really didn't have the correct line of sight. Moving the antenna suddenly gave me all the satellites!

I've also learned that while trees seem to be the biggest culprit for antenna reception while camping, they are not necessarily the 'doom' of satellite reception - if you know what you're doing, and can spend some time 'moving' the antenna around to differing areas, sometimes only inches apart, you may find that the only slight 'sliver' of reception IS available, between limbs, branches, and leaves!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg View Post
We also invested in a tailgater 4 and I have spent this past week trying to get it working here at our house. It worked great when it was on the ground hooked up direct but when we moved it to the roof mount it would not connect. We got the same run around from the dish outdoor techs who transferred me to the King Techs who only let you leave messages and then dont call back. We finally got it to work on the roof by being in a large parking lot. It does seem to be too sensitive to any kind of obstructions . We will get the app for satellite locations but are very disappointed in the product and the support that they advertise. We are going to head to Wyoming and Montana next week hope it works?
I use the free Satellite-AR app when we have cell service. Easy way to ensure you can see the desired satellites. No guessing incorrectly and blaming the equipment. Otherwise we just try to place it with a clear southern direction and the handle pointing north. 8 times out of 10, I just place it in my roof and strap it to the top of my ladder or a vent on the front of the RV roof (the wind can blow it off). Otherwise I have 150' of RG6 coax to find a spot that works.
We have successfully used our little cheap Tailgater all over the country. Even in the NorthEast. You can too, with a little patience to get over the slight learning curve.
We have had great success using Dish support, and found them to be usually very helpful. You might get that one guy that's in a bad mood, but just hang up and call back for someone different. But we usually only call them to have our local channel address changed as we move around.
Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #36

I am also having problems with my Wally/Tailgater. This is my 3rd season with this combination...first two seasons, no problems. Now, trying to get set up for a long trip, I'm having problems. Here is what is happening:

1. The program goes through the switch configuration phase without a problem.
2. Then, when it is in the "aquiring signals" phase, it stalls.
3. When I look at the diagnostics it shows "green checkmarks" for all three satellites, but it shows a "red x" in the "Conn." box.

Does anybody have any idea what may be going wrong?

I have worked with Dish online service, to no avail.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

2014 Rockwood 8315BSS
2016 F250 SC LWB 4x4 6.2 3.73
Reese Dual Cam
Honda EU2000i
joy-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #37

Some further info. on my problem:

I have removed the satellite system from the TT and I am working with it at home so there is a direct connection between the antenna and the Wally.

Thanks again.

2014 Rockwood 8315BSS
2016 F250 SC LWB 4x4 6.2 3.73
Reese Dual Cam
Honda EU2000i
joy-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy-rick View Post
Some further info. on my problem:

I have removed the satellite system from the TT and I am working with it at home so there is a direct connection between the antenna and the Wally.

Thanks again.
I was having a similar problem as you and found that in our 2506S that I had a faulty coax crimp at the point where it passes thru the exterior wall. When I connected the tailgater directly to the wally everything works fine.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #39

What is a Wally??
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
What is a Wally??
It's a dish receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version