Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #1

Dish tailgater issue

Before I fight with Camping World to take this thing back..... my 30 day window is up this week

We hooked it up at home and it worked fine. When we took it to Georgia last weekend there was what I would consider light tree coverage, tall pines, and we could not get a signal all weekend. Even when I moved it out and it said it found some satellites it would never hook up to a channel and play. I talked to dish technical support and they sent me to king technical support who never answers the phone and you can only leave a message.

So is this thing ultra sensitive to tree cover, did I do something wrong or it just is what it is? No point in keeping it if it is sensitive, all our camping is at state/national parks, with very little clear area. Most times my verizon phone doesn't even have signal, although last week it did.

Thanks for the help!
countrywife45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

The tailgater has smaller dish, and is very susceptible to any trees.

I got the Dishpointer Pro app, and it shows me A) where the satellites are and B) a picture of what is between me and them. If anything is between, dish has to move somewhere else.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #3

I had a Dish Tailgater and it was very sensitive to anything blocking the signal. It uses the western satellites (3 of them) to capture the signal. When you align it to south make a note of anything that might be blocking the signal from the satellites. Here in Florida the western satellites are located at about 240 degrees (southwest) so I need to make sure that that direction is clear and not 180 degrees (south).

I finally broke down and got a Winegard Pathway X2. It works much better as the antenna is larger and it can use either the eastern or western satellites so I have more chance of finding a clear path.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrywife45 View Post
Before I fight with Camping World to take this thing back..... my 30 day window is up this week

We hooked it up at home and it worked fine. When we took it to Georgia last weekend there was what I would consider light tree coverage, tall pines, and we could not get a signal all weekend. Even when I moved it out and it said it found some satellites it would never hook up to a channel and play. I talked to dish technical support and they sent me to king technical support who never answers the phone and you can only leave a message.

So is this thing ultra sensitive to tree cover, did I do something wrong or it just is what it is? No point in keeping it if it is sensitive, all our camping is at state/national parks, with very little clear area. Most times my verizon phone doesn't even have signal, although last week it did.

Thanks for the help!
I think you will be continuously disappointed given your camping requirements. A clear shot of the southern sky is pretty much required. Sometimes one can get lucky by relocating the dish several times but that gets old. A manual dish has a larger reflector and is not as sensitive to coverage but is less convenient. If that is not for you then taking it back is the best solution. You can always purchase again if your camping routine changes. Best to be a happy camper. JMO.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #5

None of them work in heavy rain either. I bring that up as a possibility, you didn't mention if it was raining. Worth considering since it is apparently going to rain every day for the entire rest of our lives all over America.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #6

We have been using the Dish Tailgater(s) for as long as they have been out. Eastern and Western USA. We have only camped in one place where we could not get a signal, and that was a deep, narrow canyon. We usually boondock in heavily forested backwoods with no problems.
We carry 150' of RG6 coax so we can move it if necessary to get a signal, but usually just put it on the roof and secure it to the ladder.
Definitely use a phone app, where you can, to locate satellites. Otherwise put the handle on the north side and be aware of obstacles to the south.
We haven't found our dish to overly sensitive to limbs or rain. It has to be a thick tree or limb directly in the sat path to affect reception. As for rain, it has to be a major downpour to interfere, and then it's usually only for a short time.
Sorry you are having problems with yours, perhaps it is a defective unit. There are better sat dishes out there, but you definitely pay for them.
When you hooked it up at home, were you using your RV internal coax or directly to the receiver?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #7

[QUOTE=NMWildcat;
When you hooked it up at home, were you using your RV internal coax or directly to the receiver?[/QUOTE]

this is key for me.... tie in direct
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We have been using the Dish Tailgater(s) for as long as they have been out. Eastern and Western USA. We have only camped in one place where we could not get a signal and that was a deep, narrow canyon. .,.,,

agreed.... I would certainly disagree with those who just throw out statements that it's just not 'capable' of handling treed and wooded situations ...
experience all over this country prove to me that it's usually the USER that is not properly pointing and placing the antenna, not the antenna's ability to 'see' or 'find' the satellites.
Also, I've never found any RAIN, Water, Snow, or wind to have any impact on the signal..only specific weather CELLS that happen thru the area, which is quite rare. When it does happen, the channels return within second, or minutes, as the storm passes.

Just the other day, in an almost totally wooded and high-treed JEKYLL ISLAND CAMPGROUND(look it up on Google Maps Satellite View and you'll see what I mean), I found satellite 110 by 'shooting' thru the trees, limbs, and branches.
It CAN be done, if you really want to. There are very, very few times in almost 5 years that we've ever been anyplace where the portable was not able to 'see' at least one of the three satellites.
There are plenty of use 'pro' users on this forum, and with almost 100,000 miles in less than 5 years with our portable, i KNOW what I'm doing. : )

Now, you're receiver is also important to know how to use:
the PROGRAMMING /ACQUIRING screens, and the program GUIDE

When you hook up your antenna( I advise to use a direct connection from the portable antenna directly to the receiver, at least to start with ), then turn on your RECEIVER.
After you input your State, and the antenna starts to 'search' for the satellites, it MAY offer you then a screen which states that it could not 'find' all three satellites: that's perfectly o.k., it just means that it's not seeing all three. You can still proceed by checking the 'view channels' option, and let it continue Acquiring the ones it CAN see.

When it's complete, you 'should' see some channels on your program GUIDE, but remember that if you are using some 'custom' Channel selections, your channels 'may' not show. If you normally like HGTV on channel 112 in HD, which resides on satellite 129, but your antenna could not 'see' this satellite, then you will therefore NOT be seeing this channel in your custom GUIDE list. You can switch over the Guide to 'All Channels' and probably then see HGTV in SD on channel 112, but the one that resides on satellite 110.

Using satellite tv while 'on the road' is a learning experience. We all know that you 'must' have a clear view of the western/southwestern sky, of course, but we also need to realize that while it's great to be in a totally clear area, and be able to easily 'see' all three satellites, camping is largely about parking in areas where there are trees, mountains, and things which can impact that view. It doesn't make it impossible, but it means you then have to start to learn to be very Cognizant of your surroundings when you make a reservation, or when you arrive, and 'where' those satellites are going to be in the sky - the farther south you are, such as Florida, the satellites are much higher in the sky, and easier to 'see', than if you are in Michigan, where they will be much closer to the horizon, or the ground, and therefore much easier for the surrounding to impact your 'vision'.

Invest in 100' of coax cable, connectors, and keep in mind that your 'portable' antenna is truly PORTABLE. It is designed to be put WHERE it can best see the satellites. It doesn't care if it is exactly LEVEL, so don't worry there, and it doesn't really 'care' if you have any specific side 'pointed' toward the right direction... it is really a 360degree viewable rotating antenna.

While ours rides on the rear of our roof, near the top of the ladder, and we can generally find all the satellites from there, at most places we park, I certainly and quite often either move it somewhere else on the roof, or down to the ground, when needed. I carry several 25' to 50' coax cable sets, and have never had any issue with how 'far' the antenna sits from our coach - even 250-300'.

Most of us also make use of several APPs to allow us to 'see' the satellite locations in the sky. Some are easier to use than others, and some are actually more 'zoned into' the exact location. You can choose to see only sat 110, which will give you the general location that might be o.k. for all three, or you can view all three to see if either are being blocked or impacted by anything in that direction, such as tree limbs. Sat 129 is lower to the right than the other two, and can be the most 'problematic', but I find that if I can get 129, I can even do without the other two, since 129 is most of your HD channels, with plenty to watch...including most of what you expect.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
agreed.... I would certainly disagree with those who just throw out statements that it's just not 'capable' of handling treed and wooded situations ...
experience all over this country prove to me that it's usually the USER that is not properly pointing and placing the antenna, not the antenna's ability to 'see' or 'find' the satellites.
Also, I've never found any RAIN, Water, Snow, or wind to have any impact on the signal..only specific weather CELLS that happen thru the area, which is quite rare. When it does happen, the channels return within second, or minutes, as the storm passes.

Just the other day, in an almost totally wooded and high-treed JEKYLL ISLAND CAMPGROUND(look it up on Google Maps Satellite View and you'll see what I mean), I found satellite 110 by 'shooting' thru the trees, limbs, and branches.
It CAN be done, if you really want to. There are very, very few times in almost 5 years that we've ever been anyplace where the portable was not able to 'see' at least one of the three satellites.
There are plenty of use 'pro' users on this forum, and with almost 100,000 miles in less than 5 years with our portable, i KNOW what I'm doing. : )

Now, you're receiver is also important to know how to use:
the PROGRAMMING /ACQUIRING screens, and the program GUIDE

When you hook up your antenna( I advise to use a direct connection from the portable antenna directly to the receiver, at least to start with ), then turn on your RECEIVER.
After you input your State, and the antenna starts to 'search' for the satellites, it MAY offer you then a screen which states that it could not 'find' all three satellites: that's perfectly o.k., it just means that it's not seeing all three. You can still proceed by checking the 'view channels' option, and let it continue Acquiring the ones it CAN see.

When it's complete, you 'should' see some channels on your program GUIDE, but remember that if you are using some 'custom' Channel selections, your channels 'may' not show. If you normally like HGTV on channel 112 in HD, which resides on satellite 129, but your antenna could not 'see' this satellite, then you will therefore NOT be seeing this channel in your custom GUIDE list. You can switch over the Guide to 'All Channels' and probably then see HGTV in SD on channel 112, but the one that resides on satellite 110.

Using satellite tv while 'on the road' is a learning experience. We all know that you 'must' have a clear view of the western/southwestern sky, of course, but we also need to realize that while it's great to be in a totally clear area, and be able to easily 'see' all three satellites, camping is largely about parking in areas where there are trees, mountains, and things which can impact that view. It doesn't make it impossible, but it means you then have to start to learn to be very Cognizant of your surroundings when you make a reservation, or when you arrive, and 'where' those satellites are going to be in the sky - the farther south you are, such as Florida, the satellites are much higher in the sky, and easier to 'see', than if you are in Michigan, where they will be much closer to the horizon, or the ground, and therefore much easier for the surrounding to impact your 'vision'.

Invest in 100' of coax cable, connectors, and keep in mind that your 'portable' antenna is truly PORTABLE. It is designed to be put WHERE it can best see the satellites. It doesn't care if it is exactly LEVEL, so don't worry there, and it doesn't really 'care' if you have any specific side 'pointed' toward the right direction... it is really a 360degree viewable rotating antenna.

While ours rides on the rear of our roof, near the top of the ladder, and we can generally find all the satellites from there, at most places we park, I certainly and quite often either move it somewhere else on the roof, or down to the ground, when needed. I carry several 25' to 50' coax cable sets, and have never had any issue with how 'far' the antenna sits from our coach - even 250-300'.

Most of us also make use of several APPs to allow us to 'see' the satellite locations in the sky. Some are easier to use than others, and some are actually more 'zoned into' the exact location. You can choose to see only sat 110, which will give you the general location that might be o.k. for all three, or you can view all three to see if either are being blocked or impacted by anything in that direction, such as tree limbs. Sat 129 is lower to the right than the other two, and can be the most 'problematic', but I find that if I can get 129, I can even do without the other two, since 129 is most of your HD channels, with plenty to watch...including most of what you expect.
So, Mr. carryout portable sat system guru, everyone else with a system does not know what they are doing. Makes perfectly good sense. Maybe you should set up a teaching site for the uninitiated.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #10

I use a manual dish set up, but I find the app SatFinder Lite to be a very good app.

Oh, and I agree with BandJCarm...it's never gonna stop raining! LOL!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #11

I agree with your sarcasm, as I came across the exact way you are describing, though with good intentions. It seems to me that sometimes folks make blatant statements as 'fact', when in reality they are just assumptions, usually from either ill-informed users, or those who haven't taken the time to find out how these 'things' work. They are amazing technology, and while I don't have any idea of 'how' they acquire these signals, if you actually have the satellite in 'sight', the antenna has no problem seeing it.
Most of the issues are that someone 'thinks' the antenna should be seeing the satellite(s), yet it is not. Moving it slightly might warrant a better return, or moving somewhere else completely might be the best option. Many of us have proved that with a little 'work', you can usually find the satellite if you want to.

some of these are the comments that bristle me:

"The tailgater has smaller dish, and is very susceptible to any trees."
- hmmmm, ANY antenna is susceptible to ANY blockage, not just the portable type.

"I had a Dish Tailgater and it was very sensitive to anything blocking the signal"
- hmmmm, again, of course you'll have issue if something is BLOCKING the signal!

"I think you will be continuously disappointed given your camping requirements."
- I think assuming that the term 'camping', or the assumed 'requirements' that comes with it, as though it somehow precludes anyone from being able to successfully use a portable antenna, is strange. Camping doesn't 'mean' always under trees, or next to mountains, or in places that don't 'have' satellite signals. Many of us 'camp' and always have satellite, and in many, many different and various 'camping' environments.

"None of them work in heavy rain either."
- really? News to many of the rest of us who have no issues when it's raining. Have you had some sour experiences and just 'blamed it on the rain' as the problem? While there are certainly some specific times when the signal is temporarily blocked by very, very heavy cloud/weather systems, especially if hail is a possibility, the rare nature of these effecting a satellite TV signal should not be part of 'whether' you purchase one or not, anymore than how often your 'cable' signal might be lost, or a simple temporary power outage at your home.

now, if you're still reading this, you're probably agreeing with me, and if you're not, then you probably have more sense than I do to weigh in so heavily on such a 'mundane' subject! We all have our issues, mine was this post today, and I wanted to respond in order to 'protect' the reputation that I have been very pleased with when it comes to satellite reception and our portable antenna... King Tailgater 2, the same unit, for almost 5 years. I just find it hard that some immediately 'blame' the equipment.

have fun, enjoy, and go RVing... : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I agree with your sarcasm, as I came across the exact way you are describing, though with good intentions. It seems to me that sometimes folks make blatant statements as 'fact', when in reality they are just assumptions, usually from either ill-informed users, or those who haven't taken the time to find out how these 'things' work. They are amazing technology, and while I don't have any idea of 'how' they acquire these signals, if you actually have the satellite in 'sight', the antenna has no problem seeing it.
Most of the issues are that someone 'thinks' the antenna should be seeing the satellite(s), yet it is not. Moving it slightly might warrant a better return, or moving somewhere else completely might be the best option. Many of us have proved that with a little 'work', you can usually find the satellite if you want to.

some of these are the comments that bristle me:

"The tailgater has smaller dish, and is very susceptible to any trees."
- hmmmm, ANY antenna is susceptible to ANY blockage, not just the portable type.

"I had a Dish Tailgater and it was very sensitive to anything blocking the signal"
- hmmmm, again, of course you'll have issue if something is BLOCKING the signal!

"I think you will be continuously disappointed given your camping requirements."
- I think assuming that the term 'camping', or the assumed 'requirements' that comes with it, as though it somehow precludes anyone from being able to successfully use a portable antenna, is strange. Camping doesn't 'mean' always under trees, or next to mountains, or in places that don't 'have' satellite signals. Many of us 'camp' and always have satellite, and in many, many different and various 'camping' environments.

"None of them work in heavy rain either."
- really? News to many of the rest of us who have no issues when it's raining. Have you had some sour experiences and just 'blamed it on the rain' as the problem? While there are certainly some specific times when the signal is temporarily blocked by very, very heavy cloud/weather systems, especially if hail is a possibility, the rare nature of these effecting a satellite TV signal should not be part of 'whether' you purchase one or not, anymore than how often your 'cable' signal might be lost, or a simple temporary power outage at your home.

now, if you're still reading this, you're probably agreeing with me, and if you're not, then you probably have more sense than I do to weigh in so heavily on such a 'mundane' subject! We all have our issues, mine was this post today, and I wanted to respond in order to 'protect' the reputation that I have been very pleased with when it comes to satellite reception and our portable antenna... King Tailgater 2, the same unit, for almost 5 years. I just find it hard that some immediately 'blame' the equipment.

have fun, enjoy, and go RVing... : )
How it was hooked up at home I cannot tell you, the hubby did it. I did have 100 ft of cable and kept moving it around and around and around, simply could not find a good spot.

I guess what most confuses me is that it would tell me it found some satellites, and I would say OK to just using those, and then it would be stuck again. I have no problem carting it around to find the best spot, but if that won't happen I have no more trips until June to test it again. I did not know about the satellite find apps, so no, did not use them. On the one hand, it is paid for, cash, so if I keep it in the hope of it getting better in the future I have lost nothing. On the other hand if I don't return it before my time is up then I have paid all this money for nothing. And then there is the issue of Camping World....if I do return it, I could battle for months to get my refund issued..

The hubby did have the cable hooked to the cable in the unit if that makes sense. I was not direct cable from the satellite to the box, but he is pretty handy and said he followed all the cables to figure out which was which. I trust he had it in right, but am willing to try another way.

Thanks for everyone's input and perspective, it has all been quite helpful.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #13

Quote:

The hubby did have the cable hooked to the cable in the unit if that makes sense. I was not direct cable from the satellite to the box, but he is pretty handy and said he followed all the cables to figure out which was which. I trust he had it in right, but am willing to try another way.

I have the Pathway x2 dish because when I was researching I learned that a lot of people were having trouble on the East Coast connecting with the tailgater. Now they have a tailgater that does both east and west arcs, but I'm not sure which you have. I have family in Virginia and wanted to make sure I would have access to both arcs and the Pathway was the only option available at that time.

In my TH I had trouble because the sat/cable line was the same line and I called the company and had to bypass the antenna booster in order to get it to work. On the inside the sat plug was actually had no cord behind it. I had to disconnect the cable from the antenna booster and connect it to the sat outlet. Once I did that I I haven't had a problem. I place the satellite on the roof of my camper and have been able to get a connection everywhere I've been, including the mountains.

Maybe this will give you some things to look into.
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
How it was hooked up at home I cannot tell you, the hubby did it. I did have 100 ft of cable and kept moving it around and around and around, simply could not find a good spot.

I guess what most confuses me is that it would tell me it found some satellites, and I would say OK to just using those, and then it would be stuck again. I have no problem carting it around to find the best spot, but if that won't happen I have no more trips until June to test it again. I did not know about the satellite find apps, so no, did not use them. On the one hand, it is paid for, cash, so if I keep it in the hope of it getting better in the future I have lost nothing. On the other hand if I don't return it before my time is up then I have paid all this money for nothing. And then there is the issue of Camping World....if I do return it, I could battle for months to get my refund issued..

It's possible that your receiver is having problems. Call Dish support and they will run through some diagnostics. You must be patient with this.
If you have a new Dish account, you probably have 6 months of free Dish Protect which will replace bad equipment, even if you own it. Or just return it to CW for a new one and try it out?
If it works at home, then there really is no reason it wouldn't work anywhere.
One suggestion I have, is to hook the receiver up at home before a trip, so all the software updates are downloaded. That way you don't have to suffer through it while camping.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:42 AM   #15

I have a king, I know that if I try to use a 100 cable, I can’t lock on,so I read the manual again and it states that you can’t go over 50 feet, I changed my coax to 50 and haven’t had a problem since.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have a king, I know that if I try to use a 100 cable, I can’t lock on,so I read the manual again and it states that you can’t go over 50 feet, I changed my coax to 50 and haven’t had a problem since.
What coax are you using? If less than RG6, I could see having problems. My dish came with 75' in the box. I have good quality RG6 coax and have used up to 150' with no problems.
I also changed out the cheap coax and connectors in the RV on the coax run from the exterior to the entertainment system area. I just couldn't change out the cable that went from entertainment cubby to the bedroom. So we rarely use that one for TV anyway. Just DVDs.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
My experience has been the same as NMWildcat's with both the VIP211K and Wally receivers. Both the Tailgater and Dish Playmaker antennas have been used. 150' of external (coax within the coach is about 40 additional feet) coax.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #18

I have found that a good- I mean really good- coax made all the difference in the world for us. I spent so much time with DISH reps and Winegard that they just about wouldn't talk to me anymore; I could not get my system to work, even with a clear shot at the southern sky. But that new fancy cable- BOOM- first time hooked up and worked excellent, and has worked good ever since. We have the Wally receiver with the Playmaker.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
The tailgater has smaller dish, and is very susceptible to any trees.

I got the Dishpointer Pro app, and it shows me A) where the satellites are and B) a picture of what is between me and them. If anything is between, dish has to move somewhere else.
X2

I have the Dish for my RV app,free. it also lets you see what is between the antenna and the sats. the Tailgater must have a clear line of site. I carry 100 feet of coax so I can move it around. make sure the handle is pointing North. I would take the Tailgater back and get the Pathway X2 they are the same price and works much better. I have a Tailgater that I no longer use as I got the Pathway X2
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
I have found that a good- I mean really good- coax made all the difference in the world for us. I spent so much time with DISH reps and Winegard that they just about wouldn't talk to me anymore; I could not get my system to work, even with a clear shot at the southern sky. But that new fancy cable- BOOM- first time hooked up and worked excellent, and has worked good ever since. We have the Wally receiver with the Playmaker.
Do you have a recommendation on the cable? Where to get it, which one?

I am going to try one more time in June....will still be in my 90 day window (I thought it was 30 but I was wrong) and will still be an argument with camping world.

And get the App.....I need the app.

Thanks everyone for all the help....been busy and have not been able to get back for a while.