Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #21

Although there are different grades of Stainless Steel (SS) it is considered corrosion proof. If this was advertised as SS then you should be demanding a true SS replacement.

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 Long Box, 6.0L Vortex
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #22

We polish ours with SS polish,,, comes in a spray can,,, you could get plastic or rubber sink set,,, to cover the bottom of the sink ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #23

I sympathize with you about your problem. I had a full very large bottle of Dawn develop a crack at the bottom of the bottle which drained into the basement storage compartment where I kept the bottle. I was shocked when I discovered that there wasn't any dishwasher liquid in the bottom of the compartment. After emptying the compartment out, I discovered that the Dawn had melted holes in the bottom of the plastic compartment and drained out!

Concentrated Dawn is apparently quite destructive.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #24

Damaged sink

We set a bottle of Bath and Body works foaming hand soap in our sink. We went out a week later and when we opened the cover it had fallen over and dried on the sink bottom. Our sink now has some pitting near the drain on the sink itself. We dry it hoping it wont rust. Cheap sink I guess. I use dawn and Calgon in my tanks after dumping with a couple of gallons of water wow I'd hate to think that could eat a hole in the tank.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Same issue with a spot on our sink caused by Anti-Bacterial hand soap that leaked out when it was laid on its side for 3 weeks between trips.

Just going to leave it that way for now.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #26
Trailer Park Supervisor

If you ever want to remove all wax on a vehicle and start fresh, use Dawn diluted in bucket of water. It strips wax right off.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #27

"Stainless Steel Finish"
Not "Stainless Steel".
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #28
Trailer Park Supervisor

Stainless steel finish, lol. Is that like High Definition windows?????
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #29
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Stainless steel finish, lol. Is that like High Definition windows?????

I have High Definition windows at home. They need to be washed but I don't want to see what the neighbors are doing.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterbugSue View Post
We left one of those dish scrubbers, that stores dish washing liquid in the handle, in the bottom of our stainless steel sink. We didn't notice until about four months later that the dish washing liquid (Dawn brand) had leaked out of the scrubber and in to the sink. It has damaged the finish on the sink by causing erosion of the sink itself.

Is there any way to make this damage look less obvious? We really do not want to have to replace the sink as the trailer is only one year old.

I've attached a picture so you can see the damage that was caused by the dish washing liquid.

Thanks for your help!

I don’t think dawn caused this damage. Appears a sheet metal sink was fabricated and was clad with a stainless low grade alloy maybe 2-4 mils thick. There is failure all over the sink as pits and larger failed areas. Problem most likely the base sink was not cleaned properly before cladding and will continue to fail.
Cladding is bonding anti corrosive metal over a thicker base metal usually steel.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It likely isn't a stainless steel sink and may not even be cheap metal under the poor plating.

There's another thread going on now where someone in New Zealand is looking for a stainless steel sink that cracked and broke from something hitting it. On the surface it looks like stainless until you see the breakage similar to cheap plastic.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #32

Try barkeepers friend stainless cleaner. I use it to repassivate my brewing equipment. It may work for you. Put it on and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. You may need to do the whole sink to make it even.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #33
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

Although there are different grades of Stainless Steel (SS) it is considered corrosion proof. If this was advertised as SS then you should be demanding a true SS replacement.
I'm not getting how something that would be our fault should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I'm not getting how something that would be our fault should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty
I agree with that sentiment, but I don’t think it really applies in this situation.

Bruce
Old 11-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #35

Quote:

Not your fault. A sink has to be to be able to handle soap. It is not like you left hydrochloric acid in the sink.

You may also be reaching a conclusion that it is your fault that caused the failure, by not totally understanding the flaw of the material. No insult intended, chemical and physical properties are very complicated.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #36

Personally regardless of whether or not you might win the warranty argument I would prefer to buy a better sink. I found a long time ago when something fails in an RV I am usually better off to buy my own replacement so I can get the quality I want. I wouldn't want to put the the same cheap quality sink back in even if they gave it to me.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
Not your fault. A sink has to be to be able to handle soap. It is not like you left hydrochloric acid in the sink.

You may also be reaching a conclusion that it is your fault that caused the failure, by not totally understanding the flaw of the material. No insult intended, chemical and physical properties are very complicated.
I think you may have missed my earlier post where I had a similar issue and owned it.

Leaving a chemical in a sink for days or weeks at a time is not the intended use of an RV sink, no matter what it is made of.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #38

Quote:
I keep one of those small Bissell Pet carpet shampoo machines in my 5'ver, and in the hot Arizona heat this summer it made the bottle of carpet shampoo leak.

When I discovered it out in the storage lot before it made a big mess under the sink I put the bottle in the plastic kitchen sink to deal with later for a couple of days and it stained the sink.

I've tried scrubbing it out to no avail.

But...it is just a sink, so I've decided to just live with it.
You can fix this with a paste you can make with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. It takes a little elbow grease, but it will fix it.

The irony is, it was most likely the hydrogen peroxide in your carpet cleaner that caused the stain in the first place.

Bruce
Old 11-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
You can fix this with a paste you can make with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. It takes a little elbow grease, but it will fix it.

The irony is, it was most likely the hydrogen peroxide in your carpet cleaner that caused the stain in the first place.

Bruce
I'll try this next time I get the 5'ver out.

Thanx!
Old 11-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterbugSue View Post
This was the response from Forest River:

"Yes this is a stainless steel sink, i'm not sure what chemical compound was in the cleaner but this isn’t repairable, you would have to replace the sink"

I did email back to ask if this was covered by warranty and am waiting for a reply. I'm not too hopeful.
Final response from Forest River " . . . I haven’t seen a soap leave this kind of mark or damage before. Unfortunately something like this would not be covered under a warranty."
ShutterbugSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sink