Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #21

Lots of good advice for The Fort, I’ll add to park planning...get tickets soon, as soon as you can, when they arrive, or you get your confirmation, plan your park days. Then, get “fast passes” for those big rides in each park that you really don’t want to miss (max three - per park per day until you use the third one). If it’s your first visit, you will want to experience EVERYTHING! Not possible...you will get tired and regret going there, don’t want to do that. Plan your time with cushion between attractions /rides etc. Read all the literature you can get on each park to get familiar with their attractions & layout. On the maps, things don’t look that far apart..they are! The parks are huge, so plan accordingly. Wear comfortable clothes and tennies..flip flops are not a good fit your feet will hate you before days end...take a small backpack with water & even a few snack items for that break mid afternoon. Food, as with everything at WDW is expensive so plan accordingly. Disney has a new upgraded app you will want to get. Let’s you track tickets, fast passes, show times, wait times, has a GPS capability in the maps section so you can see exactly where you are at any given time (uses a lot of battery if left on all the time). If you can, don’t do a park every day, take at least one down day and veg at a pool, or Disney springs..most of all take your time and take in all the sights & sounds of each park, there’s a lot there that’s easily missed if your too busy running to the next thing...enjoy...
Old 11-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey1 View Post
Planning to go in the spring of 2019, but before I finish these reservations, I am asking anyone who has been there for advice:

- Good time to check in there?
- Anything on discounts for the campground?
- Good location at the campground I should ask for?
- Leaving from Northern VA and will make one stop before Orlando, any good
campgrounds to stop along 95 before Jacksonville, FL? (With heated pool
and/or hot tubes have two teen kids).

Thanks
We go annually to the Fort and this is our experience. We love it. we have four children ranging from 4 to 12 and we have a 2016 freedom express 31se bunk house. traveling from delaware and usually stop at RVaction off 95 in salem NC its $25 a night for full hook up and we did not make a reservation just pulled in an paid. and its about 6 hours from home. once we depart there we drive about another 6 hours to Camp Lake Jasper off 95 near Hilton Head SC where they offer military and Good sam discounts. we leave the next day and head to fort wilderness. we do the precheck-in which saves alot of time. it is a pull through check in process and head to our camp site. we get the full hook up because the premium camp sites i feel you do not get as much room as the full hook ups with the same patio behind you. and its close to the bus stops at the front of the campground. they pool is really nice there and you take a bus up to the settlement for the hoopty doo musical review and the boat to magic kingdom. it is an older campground so the roads are a little tight and if someone parks on the site infront of you on an angle it can be a pain in the butt to back in your site usually a 8 point turn for me to get it right. if you break down the cost of the campground with dining plan and park tickets its about 5300 for my family compared to a hotel if we went would be around 10k. roughly a $100 a night for just the camp site. on the way home we will repeat our route at campgrounds or just drive as long as i can last time it was 18hrs straight home. hope this helps. we take the Chesapeake bay tunnel down from route 50
2017 Nights Camped 75 and counting
2018 Nights Camped 40 and counting[/b]
USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
raforan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkekflyers View Post
Lots of good advice for The Fort, I’ll add to park planning...get tickets soon, as soon as you can, when they arrive, or you get your confirmation, plan your park days. Then, get “fast passes” for those big rides in each park that you really don’t want to miss (max three - per park per day until you use the third one). If it’s your first visit, you will want to experience EVERYTHING! Not possible...you will get tired and regret going there, don’t want to do that. Plan your time with cushion between attractions /rides etc. Read all the literature you can get on each park to get familiar with their attractions & layout. On the maps, things don’t look that far apart..they are! The parks are huge, so plan accordingly. Wear comfortable clothes and tennies..flip flops are not a good fit your feet will hate you before days end...take a small backpack with water & even a few snack items for that break mid afternoon. Food, as with everything at WDW is expensive so plan accordingly. Disney has a new upgraded app you will want to get. Let’s you track tickets, fast passes, show times, wait times, has a GPS capability in the maps section so you can see exactly where you are at any given time (uses a lot of battery if left on all the time). If you can, don’t do a park every day, take at least one down day and veg at a pool, or Disney springs..most of all take your time and take in all the sights & sounds of each park, there’s a lot there that’s easily missed if your too busy running to the next thing...enjoy...

We have Park Hopper tickets but we wouldn’t even visit the parks but for these tickets. I had much rather spend the money on a golf cart than on tickets to the parks. Especially if I was taking great granddaughter. She doesn’t like the characters anyway. DW would rather ride the golf cart and look for wildlife. The restaurants are way overrated to me.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #24

Get the APP :Sites at Fort Wilderness" It will show you the sites, sizes and pictures. The sites near the lake docks and store are walking distance and are very popular, but some can be a challenge to back a large rig. Narrow roads lots of curves and TV parked out in road makes it tough on many sites. I would probably stay closer to the bus terminal (More Deer) and just ride bikes around campground. The electric boat parade at night is fantastic.
jandacamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #25

DW doesn’t ride bikes. When is the best time to rent golf carts? Can you rent golf carts off site?
Old 11-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
DW doesn’t ride bikes. When is the best time to rent golf carts? Can you rent golf carts off site?
yes, there are a few outfits that will truck in golf carts to rent, a quick google search shoes "golf cart rentals orlando" i remember seeing third party companies bringing them in but cant really remember the name of them. hope this helps
USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
Old 11-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by raforan View Post
yes, there are a few outfits that will truck in golf carts to rent, a quick google search shoes "golf cart rentals orlando" i remember seeing third party companies bringing them in but cant really remember the name of them. hope this helps
Most of them are not allowed to bring them in any more. The last one we did we had to pick it up and drop it off they even hook up and unhook the trailer.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #28

There is a great app. FortFriends.net /Ft.Wilderness Sites. It shows every campsite in fort wilderness, the length of the drive ways and the difficulty of getting into the sites. Ive camped there every year from 1979 to 2015. Closest way to get to the Magic Kingdom. If your on a budget don't rent the golf carts. there $60+ dollars a day.
Mannygok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #29

Check out the "Disney Campers" group on Facebook
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #30

We are there now. 100 loop, site 109. Close to boat transport, Trails End restaurant and camp store. Saved the cost of the golf cart.
Toppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #31

Check in on line or wait until we get there? Any benefits of one over the other? We'll be there in just under 3 weeks. According to my Disney app I can check in now.
Bryan1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan1960 View Post
Check in on line or wait until we get there? Any benefits of one over the other? We'll be there in just under 3 weeks. According to my Disney app I can check in now.
you can "check in" now which really just saves you time at the gate. but they will still have to give you the directions and just general info about 5-10 mins worth that you wont have to get out of your vehicle for. I would suggest getting there as early as you can and call them ahead of time and say you will be arriving early to see if your site is open or not. gives you a little more time to get set up and relax before the hustle and bustle starts
USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
Old 11-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #33

Quote:
We go annually to the Fort and this is our experience. We love it. we have four children ranging from 4 to 12 and we have a 2016 freedom express 31se bunk house. traveling from delaware and usually stop at RVaction off 95 in salem NC its $25 a night for full hook up and we did not make a reservation just pulled in an paid. and its about 6 hours from home. once we depart there we drive about another 6 hours to Camp Lake Jasper off 95 near Hilton Head SC where they offer military and Good sam discounts. we leave the next day and head to fort wilderness. we do the precheck-in which saves alot of time. it is a pull through check in process and head to our camp site. we get the full hook up because the premium camp sites i feel you do not get as much room as the full hook ups with the same patio behind you. and its close to the bus stops at the front of the campground. they pool is really nice there and you take a bus up to the settlement for the hoopty doo musical review and the boat to magic kingdom. it is an older campground so the roads are a little tight and if someone parks on the site infront of you on an angle it can be a pain in the butt to back in your site usually a 8 point turn for me to get it right. if you break down the cost of the campground with dining plan and park tickets its about 5300 for my family compared to a hotel if we went would be around 10k. roughly a $100 a night for just the camp site. on the way home we will repeat our route at campgrounds or just drive as long as i can last time it was 18hrs straight home. hope this helps. we take the Chesapeake bay tunnel down from route 50
here is a picture from the site at RVacations in North Carolina on the way to fort wilderness

USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
Old 11-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #34

Quote:
you can "check in" now which really just saves you time at the gate. but they will still have to give you the directions and just general info about 5-10 mins worth that you wont have to get out of your vehicle for. I would suggest getting there as early as you can and call them ahead of time and say you will be arriving early to see if your site is open or not. gives you a little more time to get set up and relax before the hustle and bustle starts
Awesome, thank you!
Bryan1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #35

If you check in early do you have to pay early.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #36

Quote:
not that i am aware of. we usually do a package deal and we have to be paid in full 30 days in advance.
USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
Old 11-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Pay on arrival.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #38

10 Day count down!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #39

Been to Disney World a few times but this is a first for Fort Wilderness
Old 11-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Been to Disney World a few times but this is a first for Fort Wilderness