Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #1

"Do A Search"

I'm probably not going to make many friends by posting this but as a newbie here and on other RV sites and asking a few questions only to get the "Do a Search" or "Check the Library" response several times, I'd like to point out that there's not much reason in having a forum if all one needs to do is check the library.

Newbies come here asking for help and the response seems to be "Don't bother us with those questions because we've answered them before and don't want to waste our time answering them again."

A forum is successful because of active members who come back time and time again for help or to contribute. To continually tell people to search for the answer or check the library is a big turn off. Yes, those features are nice but it's also nice to get answers and be able to discuss a problem rather than just read about how it was solved 2 years ago.

I've owned a forum (sold it about a year ago) and that was one of the points I made. We always answered newbie questions OR we provided links to current threads on the subject. And yes, we got the same questions over and over.

This is just an observation...and this isn't the only RV forum guilty of this.

>>>>running for helmet and kevlar vest and taking cover.<<<<<

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Karen, I do occasionally see "Do a Search" here on the forum but not very often. It is usually in response to a question that has a long answer and has been gone over numerous times. Sometimes, a newbie might not be familiar with the forum and how to do searches, and in that case the new member should indicate that and I feel sure members will give links to the information......all the new member needs to do is ask. If a new member is familiar with forums, then what is the difference for them to do a search, or a veteran member doing a search and posting a link ??

The new Google search at the top of the page is great. I use it quite a bit myself.

You can put away the Kevlar vest and helmet.......those are needed very few times on this forum.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi Karen, welcome to FRF!!
Your point is well made.
I just looked at all your posts here and didn't find a single
one were someone told you to "do a search" but I agree
it's often not helpful to say that.

I've answered the same questions many times over the
years. I still answer them. Maybe we should start
a thread "what's the most common new member question?"
Maybe we should have one forum that is a FAQ?!?!

The addition of a google search link at the top of the page to
search FRF using google power is a good one.
It works pretty well.

Sometimes a newbie will post asking a question that
is still running in the new posts column. It does make
me wonder if they read anything at all before asking.
I admit I've told folks to search B4 just not very
often.

I feel your excitement waiting for the arrival of your new
MH.
Hope all your travels are exciting and fun!
Well..... maybe some might just be relaxing too.
Our first trip of the season is coming right up and we
can't wait!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you searched this topic you would know its been discussed before.

Hope that Kevlar is also flame proof. Ha Ha. In support of Forestriverforums, though, I don't see this behavior nearly as much as on other forums and I've found that the members here are nice and patient. Sometimes everyone has a bad day, though.

Actually, I am of the same mind as you. I wonder what a forum would eventually become if everyone actually followed those search rules? No new posts unless they were highly technical, slightly different than what was asked last year and personal in nature? Sounds boring to me.

Besides, new posts on topics already covered provide newer members the opportunity to respond.

Personally, I like to try and answer the question first and then suggest a search for additional information.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
camping

Hi and welcome to the forum. I agree with you, I have also seen a lot more of "do a search". I like to see the questions answered and if possible a link provided to a thread that covers the topic. This is a great forum and I like all the input from everyone, even if a topic has been discussed a newer member might have more up to date info.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I have to plead guilty here. Most of the "please do a search" responses have come from me recently. I am dry camping in Key West and have very poor internet so my Windows machine is "off line." It is my storehouse of PDF files and diagrams. I am plodding away on my wife's 3G iPad and it has no capability to post photos or PDFs into the threads (even links are a PITA since the OS only allows one instance of Safari to run at a time) and is slow as can be and still be connected.

As I normally just click my "Dash One" of files as easily as typing "do a search" I normally would just repost the file. We are moving to Tampa this week and hopefully better internet. It is another military base, so I am not hopeful.

I apologize in advance if in response to a request for a pdf that I know has been posted in the recent past I point you to the search button on the green bar. (At least until I get to a more reliable internet connection).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have to plead guilty here. Most of the "please do a search" responses have come from me recently. I am dry camping in Key West and have very poor internet so my Windows machine is "off line." It is my storehouse of PDF files and diagrams. I am plodding away on my wife's 3G iPad and it has no capability to post photos or PDFs into the threads (even links are a PITA since the OS only allows one instance of Safari to run at a time) and is slow as can be and still be connected.

As I normally just click my "Dash One" of files as easily as typing "do a search" I normally would just repost the file. We are moving to Tampa this week and hopefully better internet. It is another military base, so I am not hopeful.

I apologize in advance if in response to a request for a pdf that I know has been posted in the recent past I point you to the search button on the green bar. (At least until I get to a more reliable internet connection).
Herk, you should be ashamed of yourself. Go to your room!!

With all the help you've provided over the past years I guess we can forgive you, but please behave yourself!!

Can you tell I'm bored to death at work???

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #8

KyDan> The forums I visit seem to blur together after a while so I forget where I've been told to DO A SEARCH! I have read that reply here to some threads but admittedly not as much as on some forums. And...we're practically neighbors! I see you're from L'ville. I grew up in Fern Creek and now live near Paoli, IN.

TriGuy> HAHA! My fire extinquisher is close by.

I do understand that the same questions get monotonous for the regulars but it's important to remember that they aren't to the newbies. Some forums seem full of old farts who must spend 99% of their time tinkering with their rigs so they can post about what they did and why theirs is better/bigger/prettier than yours. Other forums seem focused on only fulltimers and have little time nor patience for weekend warriors. Some just take too freaking long to load!

This forum on the other hand seems just about perfect. Most of the time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the Use-The-Search answer is a turn off. It's also good to know that there is some humor lurking around on this forum.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post

KyDan> And...we're practically neighbors! I see you're from L'ville. I grew up in Fern Creek and now live near Paoli, IN.
Wow Karen, small world. I live in Fern Creek NOW and
we can't have a summer without motorcycling over
to Huber orchard for a basket of peaches!

And er..... yep I just did hijack this thread, thanks for
noticing
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #10

Hear hear Karen,, Well said and I agree with you....
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Not sure how many "Mae Culpa"s are required; but I will cover it all with a "Mae Maxima Culpa"

Lou

Former Altar Boy
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Not sure how many "Mae Culpa"s are required; but I will cover it all with a "Mae Maxima Culpa"

Lou

Former Altar Boy
Lou, after all you have done to help out this forum, you are the "Mea Culpa's"? Well then I have to say that since you are a former alter boy then you are forgiven.

I say let's do a search for cold adult beverages

but seriously this is an awesome forum and everyone helps out with their posts and replies. I rarely see a post directing someone to do a search. Thanks everyone for all of the past and future help.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:

Lou

Former Altar Boy
Me too!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
camping

LOL- just hand over the mouse.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC