Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #1

Do all TTs have detachable power cords?

Ok, this might sound like a stupid question. We just purchased our first TT. We thought the power cord was stuffed inside of the inlet like the one on our pop-up. When we went to check it out, there looked like nothing but the plug-in end inside of the inlet. So we were thinking that there was a power cord somewhere to plug in there but looked everywhere in the storage box and could not find one. Is it possible that the cord is stuffed inside the inlet and we just have to try to pull on it or is it just the plug-in part there? Sorry this sounds so stupid
zinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Many units are getting away from the slide in or out power cable. They have a external cord to plug into the unit and the pole at the cg. Cant say your unit is like this or not.

My cord was in the storage area when it was new.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #3

What model RV do you have?

Usually, they is a round 4" diameter hole the has a cover / cap on it. The cap lifts up and the cord is inside. Pull it out. Should come out about 25' or so.

Hope this helps.
2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #4

Your Flagstaff Micro Lite should have a detachable cord. Did you buy is used from a dealer or privately? You'll want to track down that cord as they are not cheap!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
Canadian Member

I believe you have a 2011 Micro Lite 23LB? YouTube videos show a 30A plug-in above the back axle on the rear (drivers) side. It has a round, flip-up cover. If you can't find the cord, ask the dealer you bought it from if they removed it from the trailer.
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #6

We have a 2011 Micro Lite 23 LB. Bought it from a car dealership that took it as a trade-in. Found out today that the previous owners of the camper are friends of the dealership owner. He said he had the camper stored in his barn and will look for the cord. I'm not confident that we will ever see it so I'm thinking we will be purchasing one. Not sure why a power cord would not be stored inside the camper instead of being taken out.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
Site Team

Ask your dealer they may have forgotten to give it to you.
Just a little more help...Do you have a sewer hose? Most units dont come with them.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
We have a 2011 Micro Lite 23 LB. Bought it from a car dealership that took it as a trade-in. Found out today that the previous owners of the camper are friends of the dealership owner. He said he had the camper stored in his barn and will look for the cord. I'm not confident that we will ever see it so I'm thinking we will be purchasing one. Not sure why a power cord would not be stored inside the camper instead of being taken out.

Happens more than you think as many of us charge at home (or in the barn). Anyway, if you need a replacement do note that you will need a 30AMP RV cord that has the locking female connector on one end that is a NEMA L5-30R connector plus it needs the boot that attaches to the little door on the camper with a spin-lock. What I'm saying is don't confuse a 30AMP RV extension with the needed RV power cable.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 PM   #9

Well, at least you know it was stored in a barn which means it wasn't left out to weather. I have mixed feelings about the plug on the camper verses pulling the cord out. You can never lose the attached cord. When you only need a few feet, you just pull out what you need. Now I have to use a hanger to keep the cord from lying in the mud when it rains.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Well, at least you know it was stored in a barn which means it wasn't left out to weather. I have mixed feelings about the plug on the camper verses pulling the cord out. You can never lose the attached cord. When you only need a few feet, you just pull out what you need. Now I have to use a hanger to keep the cord from lying in the mud when it rains.
The mix separates quickly the one time you have an army of ants march into your camper up a perfect highway! Happened to us with one of our pop-ups with the cord through the mouse hole. After extermination, I bought and installed a Marinco conversion kit. Every camper we've owned since was either immediately converted or purchased with the detachable cord!

I keep ours coiled and hang the slack around the rear bumper tube since our connector in toward the rear on the curb side.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post

I keep ours coiled and hang the slack around the rear bumper tube since our connector in toward the rear .
Ditto

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
Thieves have stolen a lot of cords for the copper. If you have to buy one, do not get it from a dealer as they charge a arm and leg for one. Get one by doing a google for rv power cord. 30 amp or 50 amp Walmart, Amazon, Ebay all sell them for less than the dealer.
Mel
Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 AM   #13
cjearle

Quote:
Yes we agree! Our previous camper had the pull out kind of power cord. But the Aviator has a very heavy power cord that takes up space in the storage compartment. And like you said when it rains it sits in the mud. We also rig up something to keep off the ground like milk crate. It works pretty good. but hard to wind it up.
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Thieves have stolen a lot of cords for the copper. If you have to buy one, do not get it from a dealer as they charge a arm and leg for one. Get one by doing a google for rv power cord. 30 amp or 50 amp Walmart, Amazon, Ebay all sell them for less than the dealer.
Mel
Craigslist you can pay more then the scrap yard for the copper.
We were just discussing the stolen cord issue as our Teton was a pull out in the trunk. Still trying to figure out a way to tether a lock to ours that would wake us if someone was trying to take it. We're full timers.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:44 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
Our 5th wheel had the pullout cord, we changed it to a plug-in
after dragging the cord down the road three different time's
and destroying the plug end.

I would check the cord and all would be find, then a car would
pullup along side and hold up a sign saying the cord was dragging
Ugh

Try to find a plug end in the middle of South Dakota is a challenge
to say the least .....
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:14 AM   #16

This is probably what you need right here:

Camco 55501 PowerGrip 25' Cord with 30 AMP Male Standard/30 AMP Female Locking Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BNZGCS..._ul3Xub0EFBYE2
2014 Chevy Express 3500
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #17

Thanks, everyone! We just called the dealership and instead of leaving word with the salesman that the cord was located or not, the owner is out of the office all day today. They have their money for the camper so they really don't have any incentive to look for the cord so I'm pretty sure it will be up to us to buy a new one.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #18

Shore Power Access Hatch

Quote:
We have never lost our attached cord, but we did push the end of it completely thru the back of the access hatch, which was extremely difficult to retrieve. I finally got a cord looped around one of the prongs and pulled it back out. I like the idea of converting it to twist lock attachment. Good idea!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #19

Our current camper has the detachable cord, and I like it better than the attached version that pushes back in. The push in can get tangled up and be a pain to pull out sometimes, as well as being someplace ants/bugs can get into.

Sounds like you may end up buying a cord, but I would take the receipt back to the dealer and see if they will cover it. Selling a camper without a power cord is like them selling a car without keys. Its not an option, it part or the standard stuff it should have had. They need to do a bit of homework if they are going to deal product outside of their comfort zone. Good Luck.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #20

As someone who's had both types on my two campers, I think I prefer the plug-in cord vs the permanently attached cord. I always felt like cold air (and mice, and who knows what else) was coming in where the cord passed into the camper. As for the cord being a bit of a PITA to deal with, yes it can be. For storage, I picked up one of these at the Hershey show and installed in in my front generator compartment (that doesn't have a generator in it.)

MOR/ryde Products

Makes winding and storing the cord a breeze. Yes, you have to unreel the whole thing to use it, but it's much easier to deal with on the reel.

And +1 on the dealer either "finding" your power cord or buying one for you. That is an item that needs to be included in the sale, and if its not, they need to make you whole. No excuses. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power