Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #81
lg_ewer
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mission, Texas
Posts: 13
I carry a pole saw, long handles lopper and a hand snipper.

I always ask first, either a park host or a park ranger. I politely plead my case and in our 6 years of travels, we have never been told "No".

At a state park in Oklahoma, the ranger told me, "We don't want anyone's unit damaged, trim as you need."

In Texas, as we were half backed in, a ranger pulled up and saw our plight. He offered to go back to the shop and come back with a trimmer. I commented that I had everything required on board and would he supervise as I trimmed. He smiled, then helped me clean up
afterwards.

At another park in Texas, the host smiled and said, "I am off duty, heading into town, will be gone a couple hours. Be discrete, I saw nothing."

We have found that the majority of state parks are under financed and under staffed. The hosts and rangers, for the most part, are very understanding and willing to accommodate.

So my response to the OP, ask first, be polite, plead your case, then be discrete.
lgewertx is offline  
Old 07-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #82
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Bungee cords

Only had problems at one site where a branch was touching our rear window. We do not cut trees or branches in Provincial Parks so I used a bungee cord to pull it out of the way during our stay.
Removed bungee when we left, no harm, no foul.
Kennan345 is offline  
Old 07-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western New York State
Posts: 1,489
On longer trips, I carry a long handle looper and a small sniper. I have no problem trimming branches around my rig at a given campsite to avoid as previously put "tree pinstripes".
__________________
sherman12 and The Fabulous Miss Barb
2014 SportsCoach Cross Country 360DL DP
Former 2011 Georgetown 330TS
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline  
Old 07-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #84
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 4,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
This was obviously intended to prevent harvesting, not minor trimming.
No, I think it's quite clear:

(b) Cutting or gathering of trees or parts of trees and/or the removal of wood from
project lands is prohibited without written permission of the District Commander.


In layman's terms "Leave the trees alone".
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now  
Old 07-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
No, I think it's quite clear:



(b) Cutting or gathering of trees or parts of trees and/or the removal of wood from

project lands is prohibited without written permission of the District Commander.





In layman's terms "Leave the trees alone".
If the law(s) wasn't worded this clearly could you imagine how many trees would disappear due to "trimming" with, of course, the trimmings ending up on the campfire?

Some people use common sense and only prune an overgrown branch or two. Some figure the laws don't apply to then and just cur away until the site looks like they think it should.

One could just carry a piece of rope and tie the offending branch out of the way for the duration of their stay.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline  
Old 07-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
Sammici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Augusta
Posts: 115
Any campground we have stayed at states in the rules and regulations that trees are not to be disturbed for any reason.
Most camps even frown on setting up hammocks or clothes lines on trees.
You really have no business trimming something that doesn’t belong to you!
Sammici is offline  
Old 07-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #87
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Far Northern, CA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some people use common sense and only prune an overgrown branch or two. Some figure the laws don't apply to then and just cut away until the site looks like they think it should.
And as such, the disparity in replies in this thread.
__________________
Scott V.
Far Northern, CA
Salem T25SL
GMC Sierra 2500
Scott V. is offline  
Old 07-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Clovis CA.
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
The new norm seems to be under staffing and deferred maintenance. One thing that I noticed as a consequence is low hanging branches in the campgrounds. I have the light surface scratches all over the front of my motorhome. We just returned from a trip to our favorite campsite and if they do not trim the trees we will not get into the site next year. Does anyone carry a saw to trim these branches? I know it is against the rules in most campgrounds but someone has to do it. I was considering purchasing a pole saw to trim our way free into these sites.

Since it is against the trailers, I would not trim. I would go to the host, and tell him the spot he gave me does not work. The trees are in the way. I would then ask him if he would like to come trim them, or would he likes me to do it, or would he like to move me. I would not disconnect until it was resolved.

Under stand, of you trim without asking, you more than likely will need asked to leave, with no refund.
frankraney is offline  
Old 07-05-2021, 08:09 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,803
Disappointed reading this thread. We look for shade when we camp. But the folks out there who want a clear view for their satellite antenna make it more and more difficult for us to find those shaded sites.

If I am in a site with low branches, I simply reposition so those branches are not an issue.

Here in Colorado, almost every park has some unshaded sites because trees don't grow easily. But nobody wants them, including the 13ft high 35ft long rigs.

Disappointing.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline  
Old 07-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 2,538
I"m reading "But I have this expensive motorhome/RV which entitles me to cut trees at my whim or change anything that offends me." in several posts.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline  
Old 07-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western New York State
Posts: 1,489
Hammocks and clotheslines not being allowed has nothing to do with harming the trees but more to the image of squaters.
__________________
sherman12 and The Fabulous Miss Barb
2014 SportsCoach Cross Country 360DL DP
Former 2011 Georgetown 330TS
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline  
Old 07-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Hammocks and clotheslines not being allowed has nothing to do with harming the trees but more to the image of squaters.
Your opinion. Colorado Parks and Wildlife has a very different view of the harm caused by trimming trees, or hanging anything, including signs and hammocks, from trees. 1st case is usually a warning, 2nd case is usually a hefty fine.

Fred W
pgandw is offline  
Old 07-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 327
If I get permission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
No, I think it's quite clear:

(b) Cutting or gathering of trees or parts of trees and/or the removal of wood from
project lands is prohibited without written permission of the District Commander.


In layman's terms "Leave the trees alone".
And if I get permission?
dedobias is offline  
Old 07-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
Since it is against the trailers, I would not trim. I would go to the host, and tell him the spot he gave me does not work. The trees are in the way. I would then ask him if he would like to come trim them, or would he likes me to do it, or would he like to move me. I would not disconnect until it was resolved.

Under stand, of you trim without asking, you more than likely will need asked to leave, with no refund.

Similar to recent situation I was in. Site had a fire pit that was not to be moved. WHen positioning my trailer for the awning to be clear of the fire pit by a reasonable distance, it was forward on the site and a tree branch would not permit the awing to opened more than 1/3. Asked and was told they didn't have the staff to trim (even the next day). During the reservation process I was asked the size, type and number of slideouts. I asked if could trim and if not to please refund my payment for the balance of the stay (second day of 7). I was told go ahead and trim. I cut a two foot branch that had already been cut once and was too thick to be bent back.

When they request information enough to know if your RV will fit in in a site, they have a responsibility to do something, let you do something or refund your money.
dedobias is offline  
Old 07-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #95
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,189
Probably get this post removed ........... the ME generation I can destroy others property if I want to for my desire or to ensure my pleasure. Its all about me !!!!!!

Sorry but ........................
__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline  
Old 07-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #96
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
Similar to recent situation I was in. Site had a fire pit that was not to be moved. WHen positioning my trailer for the awning to be clear of the fire pit by a reasonable distance, it was forward on the site and a tree branch would not permit the awing to opened more than 1/3. Asked and was told they didn't have the staff to trim (even the next day). During the reservation process I was asked the size, type and number of slideouts. I asked if could trim and if not to please refund my payment for the balance of the stay (second day of 7). I was told go ahead and trim. I cut a two foot branch that had already been cut once and was too thick to be bent back.



When they request information enough to know if your RV will fit in in a site, they have a responsibility to do something, let you do something or refund your money.
Another option that I do believe most RVers in my group would of taken would of been to either reposition your RV back on the lot (awnings are not usually out when you have a fire), or just not put your awning out all the way or not use the awning at all. Problem solved. We have done both several times.
Every RV is different with awnings and slides in different places. I have never assumed just because they say my 35' RV will fit means that all the slides and awnings will fit perfectly also. But some folks seem to feel they are just entitled I guess....
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline  
Old 07-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #97
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northen IL
Posts: 6,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Probably get this post removed ........... the ME generation I can destroy others property if I want to for my desire or to ensure my pleasure. Its all about me !!!!!!

Sorry but ........................
You do realize that the "me generation" is baby boomers right?
Iwritecode is online now  
Old 07-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 327
Permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Another option that I do believe most RVers in my group would of taken would of been to either reposition your RV back on the lot (awnings are not usually out when you have a fire), or just not put your awning out all the way or not use the awning at all. Problem solved. We have done both several times.
Every RV is different with awnings and slides in different places. I have never assumed just because they say my 35' RV will fit means that all the slides and awnings will fit perfectly also. But some folks seem to feel they are just entitled I guess....
You consider it entitled to get what I paid for? I requested permission to resolve the problem and got it. Your issue? I'm probably the same age or older.
dedobias is offline  
Old 07-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #99
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
You consider it entitled to get what I paid for? I requested permission to resolve the problem and got it. Your issue? I'm probably the same age or older.
No idea what age has to do with it.
Instead of altering your actions to easily fix a perceived problem, you force others or your environment to change to your desires. Yep, seems entitled to me.
But at least you got permission after raising a stink and saying they owed you a refund for not being able to use your awning as desired.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline  
Old 07-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,666
I would say this thread has become a waste of bandwidth.
__________________

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, mpg

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.