Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 08:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
If you feel there is a REAL problem, ask to be moved to a different site or, have a staff member do the actual trimming or, move to a different park.
x2. I have been known to back up to avoid trees in the driveway and went to the office to tell them of their problem trees. Sometimes a heavy rain will make branches droop and cause a problem that the office isn't aware of. National parks and state parks are a different animal and while I've seen people trim trees, I've also seen them get tickets for doing so.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:46 PM   #22

I think you have to ask yourself how you would feel if someone came on your property and took thing without your permission..
Old 06-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #23
Canadian Member

I might trim a twig on my own but I’d never trim a branch or limb. I leave that to park staff. If there is a limb or branch that I’m concerned about falling, I’ll also ask park staff to remove it. Just ask politely.

I can understand a provincial/state or national park having low branches for a 5er since their focus is usually on maintaining the natural environment more than providing campsites for big RVs, but IMO a KOA or other private campground should be keeping their trees trimmed properly.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 06-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #24

It's been known to happen

I have trimmed a tree on occasion. If a sight has been rented, and I have been told that my rig will fit, then I expect it to fit. I have buffed out scratches, but I have trimmed trees that will do damage. In my opinion I am doing a busy staff a favor so other rigs will fit in the sight as advertised.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #25

Did it once, very discreetly, but camper beside me reported me. Camp host said not to do that as it could end up as a liability issue, said just to let them know and they would look after it next time. Fair enough I thought.

Drove into same campsite this year as I wanted to know why all the sites are cutting back on the unit lengths allowed per site. Well I found all the sites were so overgrown I could not even get into the site I had last year.

Bottom line from camp host, budgetary cutbacks.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #26

Buddy and I were camping and he had a branch rubbing on his awning. Rolled it in and with a pole saw removed a portion. It turned out it was a pine that dripped sap for the 3 days we were there. Big puddle when he went to roll it up. We scrubbed it for an hour with every cleaner we had. Bad move!
Old 06-27-2021, 07:04 AM   #27

Only once did I have this problem at a private site......Asked the office to trim one branch at the back of our site...Crew showed up next morning and cut it down.......May be a different situation at a Provincial or State Park.....Ask and then cut it if nothing happens!!!!
Old 06-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #28

Years ago, we were in an Army Core Of Engineering park in KY. First site they took us to was very uneven, so they moved us to a better one...problem was the tree branches. They gave us permission to cut individual ones that we deemed an issue. WE carry a hand saw, which isn't ideal, but it works.

OBTW - it was a nice place.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Old 06-27-2021, 07:37 AM   #29

Only inadvertently with my camper. [emoji6]
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
Old 06-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #30

Many years back the DH trimmed branches that hung low all the time, no branch was ever going to hit the top of our camper. No one ever complained or caught us. Now as we get older and he doesn't want to go up on the roof, not so much.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #31

I am shocked by some of the answers. I have never been to a campground that would tolerate cutting or trimming anything. In fact most campgrounds strictly forbid it in there rules and regulations.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #32

In a private or managed campgrounds, I would never cut anything without permission. If there is a branch in the way, I either move my RV appropriately to avoid, or ask them to cut it. Never had a problem and usually find them more than willing to address it in short order.
When boondocking in non campground areas (BLM, Forest Service, etc), I carry a polesaw. I will trim branches close to the access road or low branches that will be a problem where I want to park. Have asked several Forest Rangers and they dont have a problem with it as long as common sense is used to minimally trim low branches. But then I know most of them and they know me where we boondock in unimproved areas........
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 06-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecrest View Post
I think you have to ask yourself how you would feel if someone came on your property and took thing without your permission..
Hardly the same thing . Camp site for rv should be clear enough for the rv . If i let you camp at my house then i would make sure you had a spot you could get in and out of . very simple . no one is talking about cutting trees down . just an over hanging branch or 2 .
Old 06-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecrest View Post
First thing, I have paid for the rental for a site, so I am not entering without permission. Secondly, I am not taking anything off of the site. Thirdly, if I have paid for a full
Site for the size of my rig, I should be able to use it without scratches/ damage to my rig.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
First thing, I have paid for the rental for a site, so I am not entering without permission. Secondly, I am not taking anything off of the site. Thirdly, if I have paid for a full
Site for the size of my rig, I should be able to use it without scratches/ damage to my rig.
That's right. You're renting it. You don't own it. You can ask the owner to trim the branches or for permission to trim them yourself. Your rental fee doesn't entitle you to do as you please to someone else's property.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
Old 06-27-2021, 08:24 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Have you read all the rules of the campground that you agreed to follow, when you "rented" it?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 06-27-2021, 08:38 PM   #37

Hey, if you all want your rig damaged because you think you are going to jail for trimming a 2 foot branch with a 1/2 inch circumference, fine by me.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Hey, if you all want your rig damaged because you think you are going to jail for trimming a 2 foot branch with a 1/2 inch circumference, fine by me.
We always get out and look before we pull in anywhere and I've also got an excellent spotter who ensures I don't run into any branches in the first place. Might think about that....
Old 06-27-2021, 11:30 PM   #39

If “damage possible branches” are a danger to our Motorhome, then we carry a pruner and trim then back. No question has been asked, or comment ever made. Thousands of dollars in paint damage weigh of more importance than worry of any negative comment. Period.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:48 PM   #40

If I owned an RV park, there are several RVers in this thread I would kick out. Period.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, mpg