Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #81
lg_ewer

I carry a pole saw, long handles lopper and a hand snipper.

I always ask first, either a park host or a park ranger. I politely plead my case and in our 6 years of travels, we have never been told "No".

At a state park in Oklahoma, the ranger told me, "We don't want anyone's unit damaged, trim as you need."

In Texas, as we were half backed in, a ranger pulled up and saw our plight. He offered to go back to the shop and come back with a trimmer. I commented that I had everything required on board and would he supervise as I trimmed. He smiled, then helped me clean up
afterwards.

At another park in Texas, the host smiled and said, "I am off duty, heading into town, will be gone a couple hours. Be discrete, I saw nothing."

We have found that the majority of state parks are under financed and under staffed. The hosts and rangers, for the most part, are very understanding and willing to accommodate.

So my response to the OP, ask first, be polite, plead your case, then be discrete.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #82

Bungee cords

Only had problems at one site where a branch was touching our rear window. We do not cut trees or branches in Provincial Parks so I used a bungee cord to pull it out of the way during our stay.
Removed bungee when we left, no harm, no foul.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #83

On longer trips, I carry a long handle looper and a small sniper. I have no problem trimming branches around my rig at a given campsite to avoid as previously put "tree pinstripes".
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
Old 07-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #84
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
This was obviously intended to prevent harvesting, not minor trimming.
No, I think it's quite clear:

(b) Cutting or gathering of trees or parts of trees and/or the removal of wood from
project lands is prohibited without written permission of the District Commander.

In layman's terms "Leave the trees alone".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 07-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post

(b) Cutting or gathering of trees or parts of trees and/or the removal of wood from

project lands is prohibited without written permission of the District Commander.

If the law(s) wasn't worded this clearly could you imagine how many trees would disappear due to "trimming" with, of course, the trimmings ending up on the campfire?

Some people use common sense and only prune an overgrown branch or two. Some figure the laws don't apply to then and just cur away until the site looks like they think it should.

One could just carry a piece of rope and tie the offending branch out of the way for the duration of their stay.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 07-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #86

Any campground we have stayed at states in the rules and regulations that trees are not to be disturbed for any reason.
Most camps even frown on setting up hammocks or clothes lines on trees.
You really have no business trimming something that doesn’t belong to you!
Old 07-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some people use common sense and only prune an overgrown branch or two. Some figure the laws don't apply to then and just cut away until the site looks like they think it should.
And as such, the disparity in replies in this thread.
GMC Sierra 2500
Old 07-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
The new norm seems to be under staffing and deferred maintenance. One thing that I noticed as a consequence is low hanging branches in the campgrounds. I have the light surface scratches all over the front of my motorhome. We just returned from a trip to our favorite campsite and if they do not trim the trees we will not get into the site next year. Does anyone carry a saw to trim these branches? I know it is against the rules in most campgrounds but someone has to do it. I was considering purchasing a pole saw to trim our way free into these sites.

Since it is against the trailers, I would not trim. I would go to the host, and tell him the spot he gave me does not work. The trees are in the way. I would then ask him if he would like to come trim them, or would he likes me to do it, or would he like to move me. I would not disconnect until it was resolved.

Under stand, of you trim without asking, you more than likely will need asked to leave, with no refund.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:09 PM   #89

Disappointed reading this thread. We look for shade when we camp. But the folks out there who want a clear view for their satellite antenna make it more and more difficult for us to find those shaded sites.

If I am in a site with low branches, I simply reposition so those branches are not an issue.

Here in Colorado, almost every park has some unshaded sites because trees don't grow easily. But nobody wants them, including the 13ft high 35ft long rigs.

Disappointing.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 07-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #90

I"m reading "But I have this expensive motorhome/RV which entitles me to cut trees at my whim or change anything that offends me." in several posts.

-- Chuck
Old 07-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #91

Hammocks and clotheslines not being allowed has nothing to do with harming the trees but more to the image of squaters.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
Old 07-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Hammocks and clotheslines not being allowed has nothing to do with harming the trees but more to the image of squaters.
Your opinion. Colorado Parks and Wildlife has a very different view of the harm caused by trimming trees, or hanging anything, including signs and hammocks, from trees. 1st case is usually a warning, 2nd case is usually a hefty fine.

Fred W
Old 07-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #93

If I get permission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post

And if I get permission?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
Since it is against the trailers, I would not trim. I would go to the host, and tell him the spot he gave me does not work. The trees are in the way. I would then ask him if he would like to come trim them, or would he likes me to do it, or would he like to move me. I would not disconnect until it was resolved.

Under stand, of you trim without asking, you more than likely will need asked to leave, with no refund.

Similar to recent situation I was in. Site had a fire pit that was not to be moved. WHen positioning my trailer for the awning to be clear of the fire pit by a reasonable distance, it was forward on the site and a tree branch would not permit the awing to opened more than 1/3. Asked and was told they didn't have the staff to trim (even the next day). During the reservation process I was asked the size, type and number of slideouts. I asked if could trim and if not to please refund my payment for the balance of the stay (second day of 7). I was told go ahead and trim. I cut a two foot branch that had already been cut once and was too thick to be bent back.

When they request information enough to know if your RV will fit in in a site, they have a responsibility to do something, let you do something or refund your money.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #95

Probably get this post removed ........... the ME generation I can destroy others property if I want to for my desire or to ensure my pleasure. Its all about me !!!!!!

Sorry but ........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 07-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #96

Quote:
Similar to recent situation I was in. Site had a fire pit that was not to be moved. WHen positioning my trailer for the awning to be clear of the fire pit by a reasonable distance, it was forward on the site and a tree branch would not permit the awing to opened more than 1/3. Asked and was told they didn't have the staff to trim (even the next day). During the reservation process I was asked the size, type and number of slideouts. I asked if could trim and if not to please refund my payment for the balance of the stay (second day of 7). I was told go ahead and trim. I cut a two foot branch that had already been cut once and was too thick to be bent back.

When they request information enough to know if your RV will fit in in a site, they have a responsibility to do something, let you do something or refund your money.
Another option that I do believe most RVers in my group would of taken would of been to either reposition your RV back on the lot (awnings are not usually out when you have a fire), or just not put your awning out all the way or not use the awning at all. Problem solved. We have done both several times.
Every RV is different with awnings and slides in different places. I have never assumed just because they say my 35' RV will fit means that all the slides and awnings will fit perfectly also. But some folks seem to feel they are just entitled I guess....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Probably get this post removed ........... the ME generation I can destroy others property if I want to for my desire or to ensure my pleasure. Its all about me !!!!!!

Sorry but ........................
You do realize that the "me generation" is baby boomers right?
Old 07-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #98

Permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Another option that I do believe most RVers in my group would of taken would of been to either reposition your RV back on the lot (awnings are not usually out when you have a fire), or just not put your awning out all the way or not use the awning at all. Problem solved. We have done both several times.
Every RV is different with awnings and slides in different places. I have never assumed just because they say my 35' RV will fit means that all the slides and awnings will fit perfectly also. But some folks seem to feel they are just entitled I guess....
You consider it entitled to get what I paid for? I requested permission to resolve the problem and got it. Your issue? I'm probably the same age or older.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #99

Quote:
You consider it entitled to get what I paid for? I requested permission to resolve the problem and got it. Your issue? I'm probably the same age or older.
No idea what age has to do with it.
Instead of altering your actions to easily fix a perceived problem, you force others or your environment to change to your desires. Yep, seems entitled to me.
But at least you got permission after raising a stink and saying they owed you a refund for not being able to use your awning as desired.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #100

I would say this thread has become a waste of bandwidth.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, mpg