Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #41

It is a source of contention between my wife and I. I want to use the outside kitchen and she wants to on occasion use the indoor kitchen. Basically, all we do is boil water for coffee in the morning.

Cooking inside does make the inside smell greasy over time. People who do it can't smell it just like people who smoke in a house or car can't smell the stink, but when it comes time to sell or trade, the the buyer or inspector sure can.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

We do cook inside and outside!! We aren't worried about anything absorbing odors and haven't noticed any odors.

A few years ago, my daughter bought a used Toyota van that had the strangest odor you ever smelled. She brought it back to the dealer and they did something called an ozone shock treatment on it and, man, that really works!

Probably be useful to do to a trailer if someone was wanting to sell or trade it in...very effective!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #43

Wow, I guess I'll just take my chances, and risk that whoever buys my camper someday understands that I used it for camping!

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #44
Site Team

I have an outdoor kitchen and it has a small 2 burner pull-out stove top. I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually used it. I've probably used the microwave that's out there 4 times as much.

Speaking of cooking, does anyone else have trouble getting water to boil? We have friends that seem to have no trouble with it but for some reason if we put a pot of water on our stove (inside or out) it takes forever for it to even come close to boiling.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #45

Coffee is all we really do aside from occasionally warming something up in the microwave. No cooking inside. We donít have an outside kitchen per say thatís not an option I would consider, they take up too much storage space. A table, Coleman stove and a bbq solve that problem.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2703 View Post
Yes, that's why it has a kitchen.
Same here. I cook inside oe outside depending on weather, not food i'm cooking.

Steamy or "smelly" cooking is taken care of by an open window and hood fan.

I freshen the trailer by baking bread. That's why I keep the oven.

These modern ideas of not using kitchen, toilet, saving used TP in a waste basket, ripping out a perfectly good water filter, etc, all boggle my mind but as they say, "it's your trailer/MH so use it as you choose

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:25 PM   #47

We cook outside as much as possibly but only because I enjoy it. We have a Coleman gas grill / griddle and a GMG Daveís crocket we take every where we go. We cook inside also as we would at home. My wife bakes cakes brownies and others deserts inside and i must say I do not dislike the aroma.

OnBarrowedTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #48

We cook just as much inside (probably more) than we do outside. Never got less money when we resold. Never noticed odors from cooking like you can from smoking. Its like our second home. My wife has a very sensitive sense of smell like you would not believe no issues.

Its your RV use it as you wish. We have been doing it for over 35 years.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #49

Some RVs have limited counter space , cooking outside makes it more convenient also.
Like a few people mentioned, itís great cooking outside and keeps DW from supervising over your shoulder 🤣. Plus a extra adult beverage without comments.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #50

Value of RV: Take care of the obvious maintenance items and keep clean. I have never in RVs we have had any consideration of value retained as we used them. Take what I can get selling or as a trade in. Some motor homes and trailers I have toured I would consider junk to the crusher. Some smell moldy and other smell like they cleaned fish inside and forget to put in refrigerator. RVs really depreciate fast. With new ones with new features, your old RV is used, weathered, and doesn't have much value.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:49 PM   #51

I wish there was a hood vent over the stove...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
That is what I am concerned about now that my wife read the article. I can't imagine sleeping in a TT that is full of the smell of whatever I cooked for dinner.

We've been tent camping for well over 20 years so we are used to the outdoor cooking. My TT has an outdoor kitchen but it is nothing to write home about. I am thinking that I will take a portable grill with me and cook outside. I wish there was a hood vent over the stove. That would make a huge difference if you can funnel all of the cooking exhaust out of the trailer. Is there such a thing?
I could not find what kind of TT you have but, to my knowledge, all RV's have hood vent over the stove. Mine also have Fantastic fans so, no problem cooking inside.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:39 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsaklac View Post
... It's far more convenient, especially when it comes to a glass of wine which is often a no-no in a lot of campgrounds!
Nobody cares when you drink wine out of an old stadium cup, and it tastes the same.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:19 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangalo1812 View Post
I could not find what kind of TT you have but, to my knowledge, all RV's have hood vent over the stove. Mine also have Fantastic fans so, no problem cooking inside.
I have a Cherokee 26 dbh.
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:30 PM   #54

Outside kitchen

We found the outside kitchen to be more of a novelty. Would rather have more storage inside. I still cook outside w/ grill and have good ice chest. Our friends that have one, converted it to storage space. It all depends for often you use it, and how large your trailer is-need for storage space.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:35 AM   #55

I still have my tent camping cook ware. We never fry anything in the camper especially fish. We do breakfast inside if we don't need anything that splatters. Food tastes better cooked outdoors. It is camping after all.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #56

We have a kitchen to cook in. No outside kitchen. We looked at them and decided to much lost space. Gas bbq works great for outside. We usually cook breakfast inside, lunch on the fire or bbq and dinner can be out or inside depending on weather and menu. We won't buy anything we do not intend to use. We only use the campground bathrooms if there are no hookups and we are close to full.
YMMV.
Happy camping.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #57

I understand not cooking fish inside but I don't understand why you wouldn't cook inside because of "cooking smells"? Do you not cook in your house? I cook in my RV and open the vents/windows, my RV's have never smelled bad and in fact when I sell them people mention how it doesn't stink like others they have seen, and I don't use any perfume plug-in's.
Ready2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:21 AM   #58
The Driver

I try to avoid cooking inside my home due to heat, humidity, odors, etc

We cook outside when camping. Bacon frying outside in the morning just gets the day started good.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2camp View Post
I understand not cooking fish inside but I don't understand why you wouldn't cook inside because of "cooking smells"? Do you not cook in your house? I cook in my RV and open the vents/windows, my RV's have never smelled bad and in fact when I sell them people mention how it doesn't stink like others they have seen, and I don't use any perfume plug-in's.
You are confirming what I was talking about. The smell that campers can get. Anyway, I will see what happens in my TT.
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #60

Not just the odor, but spatter as well. We use the oven sometimes. I have a PUP style 3 burner stove hanging on the outside of tt and a weber q. all connect to low pressure lp system
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, outdoor kitchen