Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #61

To each their own I guess..... but why spend the tons of money on aTT and not use it?
greggcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:23 PM   #62

We cook, and even use the toilet, shower, etc inside the camper. That is why they are equipped with such facilities.

If avoiding cooking inside the RV is popular, maybe manufacturers should offer models with kitchen appliances absent and that space repurposed for other duties.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
So it's a mixed bag. I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm thinking that a little bit of both, with more outside cooking, will do the trick. Besides, I plan on camping during the spring, summer and fall. I would much rather be outside cooking.
We view our A-frame as a deluxe hotel room on wheels. It is primarily for sleeping while we enjoy the outdoors. In inclement weather, we can stay inside out of the elements.

As a result of our philosophy, we use the microwave in the camper when we have electric hookups. And a small electric coffee pot for heating water. The rest of the cooking, cleaning, and lounging normally occurs outside. We have a 2 burner camp stove and a Weber 1200 Baby Q with a folding stand - which is plenty of cooking surface for us and a couple of guests.

Our inside stove has yet to be used for cooking. I light it once a year to check the gas flow and function after refilling the propane tank(s). Same is true for the water heater - when dry camping, I heat cleaning water on the camp stove.

Once we realized how practical the Baby Q was, we ditched our full sized grill at home, and use a Weber 2000 on a stand as the replacement.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:40 PM   #64

It Depends

If the weather is good we prefer to cook outside, however if the weather is wet and rainy (which it frequently is here in S Louisiana) we cook inside
Old 03-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #65

We use the oven for cinnamon rolls. Have yet to use the stove for anything. We do use the microwave quite a bit for steaming veggies or ready-made frozen dishes or sides. Everything else is done outside. As someone else said, it tastes better when cooked outside and that's part of the reason we're camping! Of course, I also do believe it keeps the camper nicer and I have noticed odors in other campers that have been cooked in.

For those that say, "it came with a kitchen so I use it!" that's all well and good and to each his own. But my camper also came with a T.V. and we don't use that, either. I don't go camping to watch T.V. and can't understand those that do (unless you have kids, but even then I would try to find other things for them to do). Not to say there is anything wrong with it... I just don't understand it and probably never will.

So, cook in your camper.. Don't cook in your camper... there is no right or wrong. There is only how YOU do it and if it's right for you, then it's right!
Old 03-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
The worst smell to me is a campfire smoke. That does soak up in any fabric bedding, curtains, couch. It all smells like living in a chimney. Hate campfire smoke. Think it is so thoughtless to be in a tight camping area and people burning 24 hours every minute blowing toward another persons RV.

That's what makes people so great... everyone is different!
You hate campfire smoke... I love campfire smoke! Except, of course when it's in my face making my eyes burn and I can't breathe!

Not shure quite why you like camping if you hate campfire smoke so much, though. Smoke is pretty much a part of the experience and unless you're boondocking somewhere far away from other people, there's pretty much going to be smoke.

And I whole-heartedly disagree that it is thoughtless for people to have a fire as you suggested. That's part of the reason they went camping. They have every right to a campfire and they cannot control where the wind blows! People should not be expected to refrain from building a fire just because you don't like the smell of campfire smoke yet chose to put yourself in a situation where you would be exposed to it.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:54 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daebado View Post
We use the oven for cinnamon rolls. ...
Pepperidge Farm frozen French dinner rolls are great in the oven. You only have to take out of the bag what you're going to eat. They taste great and smell good, too.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:11 PM   #68

I cook in my house and it has soft surfaces, just like my camper does. I have an outdoor kitchen at my house, but you normally won't find me out there cooking if the weather is too hot, too cold, too rainy, well, I'm sure you get my drift here.

I have an outdoor kitchen in my camper and do my cooking outside if it's not....too hot, too cold, too rainy, etc.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #69

Since my husband is the one who cooks outside, I say no cooking allowed inside. LOL Actually, we do both as it depends on the weather.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #70

I cook outside on the included griddle as often as I can, not because its cooking outside, but because I get to be outside when doing it.
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:06 PM   #71

What is cooking? I rarely cook when camping. Grill some things outside. I hate doing dishes.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #72

cooking

we (my wife) cook all the time in our camper. We also use the oven. Use the exhaust vent over the stove and we turn on the bathroom overhead exhaust fan. Moisture is a bigger problem than odors and grease. We camp 50-60 days a year.
manndc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #73

We've never cooked in our trailer but mainly because we had all our outdoor cooking equipment already and enjoy outdoor cooking. However we do use a coffeemaker, the microwave, a rice cooker (which cooks TONS of other things) and a slow cooker. We use the toaster outside as it always sets off the smoke detector. Interesting thing though, we store our trailer on a farm in a huge drive shed, and there are other trailers there too. We've never had a mouse or any critter come in over the winter but both the other trailers did (and both cook inside their trailers). Husband says it's due to the bounce sheets everywhere but I think it's the lack of food odours/crumbs etc.
TimothyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #74

We do both. exhaust fan over stove, maxx air fan in bathroom. and use toilet and shower.
brian0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #75

We have a beautiful outside kitchen in our Rockwood 8328BS. It also has a wonderful indoor kitchen. We use both kitchens on a regular basis. The only thing I cook outside is fish just because I hate the smell of fish lol. We have never had an issue with lingering smells.

Go for it!
Jlb207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #76

Quote:
My wife told me today that she read an article online stating that you should avoid cooking inside of your TT if you have an outdoor kitchen set up. This is due to the odors that stick to fabrics inside of the TT. Any experienced members care to chime in?
Yes sometimes we do, usually cook outside.
jerry1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:18 PM   #77

If the weather sucks, I will make coffee inside but anything greasy or strong smelling gets cooked outside. We don't have an outside kitchen but just bought this Martin SG-228. It will plug into the outside gas line along with the BBQ. Click image for larger version

Name:	SG228.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	248899
Stryker Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #78

yep - we are cooking

Quote:
My wife told me today that she read an article online stating that you should avoid cooking inside of your TT if you have an outdoor kitchen set up. This is due to the odors that stick to fabrics inside of the TT. Any experienced members care to chime in?
unfortunately due to my ability to wind up in a cam walker (Boot for foot due to injury and/or broken bone) we were forced to move meal prep indoors.

We do have a vent hood and use it loyally. We tap a bit of foil on the walls near the stove and under the burners. When we are done with the trip (usually a 3-night trip) we wipe down the walls/cabinets in the kitchen area and throw away the foil. We've probably cooked 40+ meals inside and when the trailer is closed up for storage and we return for a next trip - it smells neutral and clean due to good housekeeping. I would never try fish or something strong. We have done bacon, eggs, fajita meat, pork chops, nachos etc.
AtTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:27 PM   #79

Sounds to me like your wife is trying to get you to do all of the cooking outside! I fry bacon, sausage, salmon and stir fry shrimp, bake salmon, biscuits, etc. inside and have never had any odors linger. As long as you keep your kitchen and appliances clean you won't have a problem!
66Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #80

Every day cooking...

I’ve been living in a Rockwood A-frame for 15months while I build our house. Between cooking every day and four dogs stinking the place up I’ll never be able to sell it I guess.
I can’t smell any cooking odors over the dog farts anyway. They can set off the CO2 alarm without any trouble.
I do run the big vent fan when I cook if only to keep the smoke alarm happy.

We got the water running, the electricity on and the radiant heat doing its thing.
I go to storage for “stuff” tomorrow.
I can hardly wait to sleep in our new house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6FF13260-E30A-4747-BC56-64964D6300C9.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	248912   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF7293D9-6961-4FEC-BA0E-BCC8A0397D78.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	248913  
cantxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags