Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #81
Trailer Park Supervisor

Adult DD. Like DD munchkins but bigger? Needing CPAP is one reason I can't do backpacking anymore. Before making RV jump in 2018, I was doing some tent camping and would bring along a marine battery. Now that battery lives at base of nightstand at home on charger as emergency power.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:02 PM   #82

Leaving Saturday morning to go canoe camping on the Current River in Missouri for 7 days.
tempestdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Adult DD. Like DD munchkins but bigger? Needing CPAP is one reason I can't do backpacking anymore. Before making RV jump in 2018, I was doing some tent camping and would bring along a marine battery. Now that battery lives at base of nightstand at home on charger as emergency power.
Like DD munchkins but supporting themselves.

I have a Resmed AirMini that's about the size of the cassette version Sony Walkman. (I was going to say transistor radio but most readers wouldn't know what that was.)

A 24V lithium battery is available that's supposedly good for more than one night. But that's a $350 experiment. And how do I recharge it? Do I buy 2 for $700 to get 4 nights' of backpacking?
Old 05-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #84
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Like DD munchkins but supporting themselves.

I have a Resmed AirMini that's about the size of the cassette version Sony Walkman. (I was going to say transistor radio but most readers wouldn't know what that was.)

A 24V lithium battery is available that's supposedly good for more than one night. But that's a $350 experiment. And how do I recharge it? Do I buy 2 for $700 to get 4 nights' of backpacking?
Yeah, that's really expensive, something I wouldn't be willing to pay. I'd rather spend the money on a donkey to carry the marine 12v! I'm lucky mine is a 12v, going to make sure when it's time to replace, i get another 12v. That's cool yours is so small, mine is at LEAST 2x the size without the water chamber (which I haven't used in years).
Quote:
that's about the size of the cassette version Sony Walkman. (I was going to say transistor radio but most readers wouldn't know what that was.)
Are you new to this forum? lol, probably more here that used transistor radios than those who have never seen one!
Old 05-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #85
KnP

The ethernal paradox is... What is Camping? Is it on a RV or a Tent?

Same paradoxical argument applies when people talk on what is better, Domestic or Foreigner vehicles, AR15 Vs AK47/74
Old 05-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #86

No Tent
Good idea. In the desert, and the mountains in the West in summer a tent is often not necessary. I like to sleep in the open. Sometimes I use a cot to get off the rocks. Sometimes I sleep on the ground. Boat trip coming up for 5 days of sleeping on sand bars.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
The ethernal paradox is... What is Camping? Is it on a RV or a Tent?

Same paradoxical argument applies when people talk on what is better, Domestic or Foreigner vehicles, AR15 Vs AK47/74
You forgot Ford vs Chevy/GMC vs Ram. 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton vs one ton. Regular cab vs extended cab vs crew cab. Short bed vs standard bed vs long bed.
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You forgot Ford vs Chevy/GMC vs Ram. 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton vs one ton. Regular cab vs extended cab vs crew cab. Short bed vs standard bed vs long bed.
...and Eric, you forgot Deezel vs gas!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #89
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

Those were the ones that came to me at that moment as the most heated ones. I say the most hardcore ones are AR Vs AK
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #90

My idea of tent camping consists of prowling County parks, when I find an open spot pitch my tent, pay the fee and go home and get TT. To dam old for ground dwelling. Our County parks are first come first served.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:02 PM   #91
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
My idea of tent camping consists of prowling County parks, when I find an open spot pitch my tent, pay the fee and go home and get TT. To dam old for ground dwelling. Our County parks are first come first served.
Like Sooner... "Claim !".
Old 05-07-2021, 05:11 PM   #92
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6 View Post
One thing I love about our popup is that it can go just about anywhere and we love camping in smaller, quieter campgrounds by a creek or something like that. One of my biggest concerns about upgrading is that we may not be able to go to some of those campgrounds anymore. I am wondering how many of you guys with RVs will still occasionally go tent camping sometimes.
The old lyric, "How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm; after they've seen Paris" comes to mind.

Once they've slept in the RV, sleeping on the ground is a tough sell.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #93
Trailer Park Supervisor

This is why children should not know what an RV is. All these grandparents that buy 40' RVs "for the grandchildren!" are robbing them of the tent experience.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #94
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
This is why children should not know what an RV is. All these grandparents that buy 40' RVs "for the grandchildren!" are robbing them of the tent experience.
My daughter camped with the Scouts and she is not missing it
Old 05-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #95

Many people have never slept in a good tent with a comfortable pad or pads.
My best set up was for hunting in the fall in cold weather. A canvas wall tent with a wood stove large enough to walk around in.
I sleep on an oversized cot with a cot pad, foam pad and Thermarest pad, The canvas bedroll has a down sleeping bag and 2 Pendleton blankets and a nice pillow. Better than sleeping at home.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:47 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic7320 View Post
I carry a tent in a class-C RV for one very specific reason:
To hold my campsite when I'm gone.

And once -- at Death Valley, I used a tent space because every other space was full (not that I actually slept in the tent).

Why Death Valley is so popular that time of year is a mystery; it was so miserably hot! But there were lots of campers from Germany that seem to like it.

Maybe this should be a separate thread, how do you hold your campsite?
Years ago, we had a class A motorhome but it didn't work for us. I thought it'd be pretty cool to be able to walk around in it to do things while going down the road but that's where the advantage of it ended. Once we got to the camp area, we had a boat back then, we would select a spot then would have to leave someone there to hold it. There weren't any designated camp spots so a person just parked wherever you wanted. I didn't trust setting up a tent as you'd never know whether it'd still be there when you came back. We'd have to use the motorhome to launch the boat or retrieve it which turned out to be a pain in the you know what. We did this for two years then got rid of it. Not everyone would be in this kind of situation in fact probably only a small percentage would be but it was common enough for us that it didn't work. So we got our first 5th wheel and pulled the boat behind that which worked quite well for us.
mixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:21 PM   #97

We tent camp in the winter and RV in the summer. This particular outing there were 25-30 people in various tents. Some heated most not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	135736549_10157329887086017_148869142490247922_n.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	253934  
Old 05-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkmann View Post
BLUF: Hell no

Retired from the Army in 2003 after 39 years of field duty where I slept on the ground, in a poncho liner, in the rain and snow. As I gained rank I got to sleep in a tent on a cot that had various kinks of sleeping pads (the Army seems to like to change the style every few years) with all kinds of noise going on all around. Never relaxing or pleasant.

No RV or hotel, well I will just stay at home and sleep in a real bed, cook on a real stove; use china, crystal, and silver ware; stay in if the weather is bad, love my cats, etc., etc., etc.

Lord, its nice to be an old curmudgeon.
You were in longer than I was. 4 years active with 20 reserve. I was in the fleet, Navy, aboard a ship during active duty off the coast of Vietnam for a lot of it then when I got into the reserves, I cross rated and got into the Seabees. On our ACDUTRA's, we stayed in tents and slept on cots. We had the option of bringing a pad with us which I did. We also stayed in tents for our weekend bivwacs several times a year. I retired in 1998 from the military but we still like getting out and camping where we either just camp out with just the 5th wheel or we take our side by side and do some riding up in the mountains here in Montana. I like the smell of pine trees and enjoy the scenic views. Since we only get out maybe 4 times a year the times that we do get out are very enjoyable. If I live long enough, I'm sure we will eventually have to give it all up some day. We belong to an ATV club where some of the members are in their 80's and still get out camping and riding so there's hope that we could have another 15 years. I'm 70 this year so still not old. Not young either but not old. We just bought a new 2020 model 5th wheel last November and haven't even had it out yet. Worked on it off and on throughout the winter so hopefully it'll be good to go when Memorial weekend gets here. We'll probably be RVers till we can't do it any more. For 98% of the year, we sleep in our beds at home but since we don't have any fine China, we won't miss it when we're out camping. We have silverware in the camper and the queen size bed is a Beautyrest mattress so it's about as comfortable as the mattresses we have at home. I'm not a carmudgeon yet and kind of hope I never will be but only time will tell. But our tenting days are over. We keep them in case someone else might want to borrow them otherwise they sit out in the pole building collecting dust.
mixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #99

Does a pop up count? The wife and I wanted more comfortable sleeping arrangements, but we were not ready to give up the tent entirely. So we settled for a Tent trailer.
Old School Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Rob View Post
Does a pop up count? The wife and I wanted more comfortable sleeping arrangements, but we were not ready to give up the tent entirely. So we settled for a Tent trailer.
Pop-ups of years ago fit the description of "tent trailer" more than current versions do. Those were little more than a tent on a box. One my family had when I was a kid had a canvas roof. Newer models have a lot more conveniences like refrigerators, hot water heaters and air conditioners.

Tags
camping