Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #1
dm6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 102
Do you still go tent camping after you got a RV?

One thing I love about our popup is that it can go just about anywhere and we love camping in smaller, quieter campgrounds by a creek or something like that. One of my biggest concerns about upgrading is that we may not be able to go to some of those campgrounds anymore. I am wondering how many of you guys with RVs will still occasionally go tent camping sometimes.
dm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Robbie D. Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 139
No.

I have set up tents for guests, grumbled about it, and slept nicely in my RV.

No more sleeping on the ground for us.

Maybe I’m just becoming an old fart!
__________________
1989 Harley Davidson Electra Glide - Tents
2013 Ford Explorer - Coleman Pop-Up
2001 Ford F150 Supercrew
2019 Greywolf 26DBH
2021 Arctic Wolf 3770 Suite
2019 Ford F250 SD
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #3
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: About 30 miles west of Beantown.
Posts: 3,574
Nope. My camper comes or I'm not going.


If the camper doesn't fit, I must exit.
__________________

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dieselguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,206
In a single word ... NO. Tent camping had its time in my life, but those "Daniel Boone" days are well behind me.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,410
My first weekend camping with my new trailer was in a tent spot (that a whole bunch of people swore I would never be able to back into). Does that count as tent camping?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,133
Nope. 35 years in a tent was a good run though.
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,900
Of course!! I RV with my wife and I enjoy it...BUT.....
I also love to backpack, so at least once a year some old friends and I (and sometimes grandkids, although they prefer the RV) will go backpacking for 8-10 days. And I'm sure we will continue as long as we are physically able. I do notice the inflatable sleeping pads we sleep on in the tent seem to get thicker and more elaborate each year
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 564
No tent camping unless a night in the truck shell counts, I do that multiple times a year. If it is for more than one night, I'm taking my trailer.

I do still backpack on occasion.
__________________
2205S Rockwood
F 150 Lariat 3.5 Eco Fx4 Max Tow
Equalizer WDH, 1809 lb payload
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Blackrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Arizona's Gila Vally
Posts: 1,375
I let my son in law talk me into going on an Elk hunt with him two years ago. He wanted to get way back in some country up around Big Lake Arizona and go back in about 10 miles on our Polaris Ranger and set up camp so we could get up in the early hours and walk another mile to a big cienega where the big bulls are known to hang out. We were almost to the place he wanted to camp when he saw a bull elk and dropped it not 100ft off the road. We field dressed it, quartered it wrapped it in cloth. By then it was dark so I said lets go back to our main camp and my 5th wheel. Nope he wanted to camp for the night. We went on up the trail a ways and pithched our tents, hung the meat way up on a branch and turned in. Next morning we had a nice fire and cowboy coffee and some breakfast. Made it back to camp before 9 and the ladies had taken my truck into Springerville shopping so we couldn't break camp. By the time they got back around 2pm it was too late to head home.
Our boy just wanted to get the old man out in the rough and have an adventure. It was OK but I don't need to do that again.
__________________
2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Illegitimum non carborundum
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 809
I haven't slept in a tent since my Marine Corps days.
__________________
2019 Silverado LTZ 1500 6.2L 10 Speed 3.42 Max Trailering Package
2018 Freedom Express 192RBS
2016 Silverado LTZ 1500 5.3L 6 Speed 3.42
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:28 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
lesptr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I let my son in law talk me into going on an Elk hunt with him two years ago. He wanted to get way back in some country up around Big Lake Arizona and go back in about 10 miles on our Polaris Ranger and set up camp so we could get up in the early hours and walk another mile to a big cienega where the big bulls are known to hang out. We were almost to the place he wanted to camp when he saw a bull elk and dropped it not 100ft off the road. We field dressed it, quartered it wrapped it in cloth. By then it was dark so I said lets go back to our main camp and my 5th wheel. Nope he wanted to camp for the night. We went on up the trail a ways and pithched our tents, hung the meat way up on a branch and turned in. Next morning we had a nice fire and cowboy coffee and some breakfast. Made it back to camp before 9 and the ladies had taken my truck into Springerville shopping so we couldn't break camp. By the time they got back around 2pm it was too late to head home.
Our boy just wanted to get the old man out in the rough and have an adventure. It was OK but I don't need to do that again.

Good times!
__________________
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK
2015 F350 6.7
lesptr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:58 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
adrienbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 15
Yes and no. My family reverted back to tent camping some years after getting our first trailer. It was too big for where we usually like to camp and I never liked towing it or trying to set it up.

After reverting back to tent camping for awhile, I decided I wanted to go back to a trailer but wanted to downsize. Something small that was easy to setup and could fit into the campgrounds we like.

So now we are the proud owners of a brand new 2509s, however there are still some trips and campgrounds we want to try that even the 2509s won't fit in. We'll be back in the tent here and there but mostly will use the trailer.

Adrien
__________________
TT: 2021 Mini-Lite 2509s
TV: 2007.5 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Andersen No-Sway
adrienbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:50 PM   #13
Member
 
Ed from Riverside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie D. Camper View Post
No.

I have set up tents for guests, grumbled about it, and slept nicely in my RV.

No more sleeping on the ground for us.

Maybe Iím just becoming an old fart!
+1
__________________
2021 Toyota Tacoma OR 4X4
2021 Geo Pro G12SRK
Ed from Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nevada
Posts: 792
Of course I sleep in tents. All of the really good places are not reachable with an RV. I still backpack, but mostly do overnight river trips. I am going camping this week without the RV. I will probably sleep out on a cot so I can see the stars. The only thing better than a tent is no tent.

I am 70 and still sleep on the ground sometimes, in the back of my truck or with a cot. I like an RV just fine.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:59 PM   #15
Take The Road Less Travld
 
MuddauberE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 579
Im a scoutmaster so I go tent camping a lot still. I love my RV when the family goes out, and I love my tent or hammock camping when out with the boy scouts.
__________________
"Take The Road Less Traveled"
2020 Cherokee 294BH
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6 diesel
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #16
Take The Road Less Travld
 
MuddauberE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrienbaker View Post
Yes and no. My family reverted back to tent camping some years after getting our first trailer. It was too big for where we usually like to camp and I never liked towing it or trying to set it up.

After reverting back to tent camping for awhile, I decided I wanted to go back to a trailer but wanted to downsize. Something small that was easy to setup and could fit into the campgrounds we like.

So now we are the proud owners of a brand new 2509s, however there are still some trips and campgrounds we want to try that even the 2509s won't fit in. We'll be back in the tent here and there but mostly will use the trailer.

Adrien
There is a cool trailer called a humming bird. It’s about 1500 lbs, big enough to have a queen or king bed only on the inside with a little AC and an outdoor kitchen with a fridge and cooking area. This will get anywhere your car can get.
https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/...mingbird-10rk/
__________________
"Take The Road Less Traveled"
2020 Cherokee 294BH
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6 diesel
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #17
Member
 
Ed from Riverside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Im a scoutmaster so I go tent camping a lot still. I love my RV when the family goes out, and I love my tent or hammock camping when out with the boy scouts.
Nice!!
__________________
2021 Toyota Tacoma OR 4X4
2021 Geo Pro G12SRK
Ed from Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #18
Member
 
Ed from Riverside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
There is a cool trailer called a humming bird. It’s about 1500 lbs, big enough to have a queen or king bed only on the inside with a little AC and an outdoor kitchen with a fridge and cooking area. This will get anywhere your car can get.

Thats a nice rig. Thats why i went with 12SRK, its about the same as the humming bird 10RK. With just the 2 of us i can park it anywhere. It's worked out perfect.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...ro/G12SRK/4394
__________________
2021 Toyota Tacoma OR 4X4
2021 Geo Pro G12SRK
Ed from Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:16 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bow WA
Posts: 596
YES. RV's can go everywhere!
__________________
Ram 2500 diesel 4 x 4 8' bed
FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:19 PM   #20
Member
 
Ed from Riverside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
YES. RV's can go everywhere!
__________________
Ram 2500 diesel 4 x 4 8' bed
FR Surveyor 251rks
Absolutely!!!
__________________
2021 Toyota Tacoma OR 4X4
2021 Geo Pro G12SRK
Ed from Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.