Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #21

Another Stl person here.

I trust a post taco bell fart more than I trust the weather predictions.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #22
Just as confused as you

Even though I have 2 personal weather stations at my B&S home I still rely on a weather rock.

Instructions for "analyzing" weather with the weather stone.

• If the rock is wet, it's raining.
  • If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
  • If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
  • If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
  • If the rock is difficult to see, it is foggy.
  • If the rock is white, it is snowing.
  • If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
  • If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
  • If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
  • If the rock is under water, there is a flood.
  • If the rock is cold, it is cold.
  • If the rock is really warm, it is hot.
  • If the rock is bright and warm, it is sunny.
  • If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.
  • If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.
  • If the rock can be felt but not seen, it is night time.
  • If the rock has white splats on it, watch out for birds.
  • If the string is on fire then there is a bush fire.
Please do not disturb the weather rock, it is a finely tuned instrument!
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
Another Stl person here.

I trust a post taco bell fart more than I trust the weather predictions.
I used to trust those too, until I started to have a few that I could not trust.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I used to trust those too, until I started to have a few that I could not trust.
The three quotes from Bucket List!

I have done the tracking thing mentioned above. Write down the 7 or 10 day forecast. Each day 'slide' another one under it. Then one column is the individual days of a specific day. The changes daily are almost staggering.

The only time, at least in the South, when they get it fairly right is middle of summer. It's hot and there's a 20% chance of a stray thunderstorm. Every day. Winter, they can't get. Winter in the north is easier to predict than winter in the mid-south. Course, Florida in the winter is sorta like everywhere else in the south in the summer.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Same here, except the farts turned in to "sharts". I'll let you figure out what those are.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #26
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

No. Don't even watch them. I'll glimpse at my weather app and "read" the RADAR myself and predict the weather.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #27

Once a weather forecaster always a weather forecaster. They never seem to change jobs or move on to bigger and better things.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #28
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go UK View Post
Once a weather forecaster always a weather forecaster. They never seem to change jobs or move on to bigger and better things.
Bigger & better things? I thought that is the highest level to be reached in the field.
Some of the other positions such as clairvoyant, fortune teller, harbinger, palmist, prophet, prophetess, psychic, seer, sibyl, soothsayer, and visionary are just stepping stone positions to the almighty weather forcaster.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Bigger & better things? I thought that is the highest level to be reached in the field.
Some of the other positions such as clairvoyant, fortune teller, harbinger, palmist, prophet, prophetess, psychic, seer, sibyl, soothsayer, and visionary are just stepping stone positions to the almighty weather forcaster.

Amen
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #30
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
We have a RadioShack weather radio that's tunable to all the Weather Bureau stations in the country. I printed out the frequencies from their website and keep it in the trailer. It has proved to be very handy. I think the talking heads all use the Weather Bureau for their information and dress it up for TV.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #31
Back On The Go

Intellicast dot com:
Has always helped out. I did notice about 20 years ago they quit building weather station offices with windows.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #32

in a word, NO!

He is the only person I know that can be wrong 80% of the time and still keep a job!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Recently within the last three weeks in the STL area there have been major ice storm predictions. None of which have happened.

I would be interested in learning for travel purposes which stations I should use for a goto weather channel while traveling in your area. Who do you trust over others in your area?

As near as I can figure it is all a crap shoot. The weather people are wrong so much that there is no way a station can pay a living wage to the five or six people that they keep on staff. I am left wondering, that, The weather people must feed their families with an arrangement with the local grocery stores based on how many scares they announce. How many times have you bought the ingredients for French Toast?
Weather guys/gals, politicians, dentists, their pay goes on, and on, and on......
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #34

Weatherman

I think the weather channel and food channel are for entertainment purposes only!
Onecuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #35

As a former TV news producer I think I can add some insight to this issue. Part of my 25 years in the business I worked closely with a station's "meteorologist". BTW, the AMS seal some TV weather folks show indicates they've completed a brief course by the American Meteorology Association. It doesn't mean they have advanced degrees in meteorology.

All weather data used by TV and other weatherpersons come from the same source... the National Weather Service. Outfits like Accuweather and many TV weather folks attempt to bring local knowledge into their forecasts, but they are all using the same data. The 7 day, and sometimes a 10 day forecast is a joke. It started because some weathercaster somewhere thought it would make his/her forecast seem better than the competition's. Other stations saw it and said "hey if they can do it, we can too." So it was, and still is, all about marketing. Those of us in the weather departments fought management on this because we knew a 7 day+ weather forecast is like predicting what the stock market will do in 7+ days. And we all know how accurate that is. Management said "but everyone else is doing it, so we have to also."

Weather forecasting has gradually improved over the years, mainly due to the computer models that try to record every one of the myriad details regarding atmospheric conditions in the past and comparing them with conditions today. Again, the stock market analogy comes to mind. The accuracy of a 48 hour forecast (weather, not stocks) has improved a lot. Go beyond 48 hours, not so much.

Bottom line, you can do it yourself by evaluating all the data, you can pick a favorite TV weatherman for your forecast, or you can go with whatever the NWS is predicting, and in the long run you'll find that over time none will be more accurate than any other.

Or you can use the Farmer's Almanac which predicts weather up to a year in the future. If you think that has a thread of credibility, let me know because I have a lightly used trailer tire I'd like to sell you.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #36

Weatherman do Fore GUESSES...

I've missed a lot of events due to bogus foreguesses.
Now if it's not too bad to go... I just go... As others have pointed out, I have a better sense of what's going to happen in the next few hours than the 'meteorologists' seem to have. They just look at 'what the models say' these days... I just go, and if the weather turns foul, I deal with it. Like I say about riding my motorcycle. There is no such thing as bad weather; just wrong clothes...
I use the WeatherBug app. It is helpful... but accurate... no.. none of them are anymore..
JanFMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #37

One of the weathermen here in NE PA will tell you that this projection said this, another said that and others say another. So you just pick one you like. LOL A couple weeks ago they forecast we would get a coating to 3 in, well we got 5 1/2 inches. The forecasts are just educated guesses.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #38
Site Team

I'm curious what everyone defines as "wrong". Considering they usually admit that it's an inexact science and they almost always predict a range of weather.

If one guy says we are going to get 3 - 6 inches and another says 4-7 and we end up getting 5.7, were either of them "wrong"?

In my experience it's pretty rare for them to completely whiff on their predictions.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I'm curious what everyone defines as "wrong". Considering they usually admit that it's an inexact science and they almost always predict a range of weather.

If one guy says we are going to get 3 - 6 inches and another says 4-7 and we end up getting 5.7, were either of them "wrong"?

In my experience it's pretty rare for them to completely whiff on their predictions.
It is?

Where do you live??

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

The original poster is commenting on Stl weather which in the past 4 Weeks has predicted 3 ice storms (over an inch of accumulation) folllwed by snow ranging from a half inch to 5”.

In reality it has drizzled 1 weekend and been windy the other two.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote