Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #1

Dodged a Bullet

We just returned from Carlyle today and we dodged a bullet while we were there. Saturday night a major storm that produced hail in the 2 inch to 3 inch diameter size passed just south of our location. There was a lot of damage throughout the St. Louis Metro region. There is going to be a lot of work for roofers and body shops for the next six months.

A fellow RV’er who had left the campground for the day to help do some work on his son’s house in Granite City IL came back that night with a heavily damaged truck due to the hail. It’s hard to see all the damage in the photo because of the lighting when I took the photo. You can see the hole the hail punched in the arm supporting the driver’s side mirror. He put tape on the windshield to keep it in place.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #2

Oakman- yea you missed it.....Here is a photo of the hail that fell just south of the 370 lakeside park. I have a friend that was in the line of fire. Any flat surface was destroyed. In my area we had golf ball size...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	13104  
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

And we had teeny-tiny hail this morning - no bigger than 1/4 to 1/2 inch and I begged my DH to go thrown himself over our TT!! He refused.....LOL. Had hail damage on a car once; looked someone took a ball-peen hammer to it. Can't image what it would do to a TT.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Oakman- yea you missed it.....Here is a photo of the hail that fell just south of the 370 lakeside park. I have a friend that was in the line of fire. Any flat surface was destroyed. In my area we had golf ball size...
There is no doubt that we were living a charmed life that day. We were glued to our TV watching the weather radar as the area of hail passed no more than 10 miles south of our location. All I could think of was the damage hail stones that size would do to our brand spanking new fifth wheel. Heck, we haven't even made the first payment on the Silverback yet.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #5

About two months ago a storm passed through the Nashville, TN area. Our 2006 Dodge Caravan was parked at my DW's work location and took a hit. The whole roof area had to be replaced along with all the dings on the hood and right side pulled out. We were lucky on the insurance, no deductible involved. Are we having more hail this year than any other? It seems like that to me.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote