Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We prefer back-in because they often are more private.
Back in for that same reason. Many pull through sites are too open. Used them both. Some back in sites were not designed well as for utility posts, then I'd prefer a pull through where I can pull in from either side.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #42

I prefer back-ins because for some reason I tend to massively overthink my position when pulling straight in, and end up too far to one side or the other - and then spend 30 minutes jockeying back and forth trying to get where I want, or even pulling all the way through and swinging around to take another run at it.

As someone else mentioned, maybe I just have way more practice backing it....

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:10 PM   #43

We prefer back in but, there's those occasional opportunities for pull thru sites that are just to hard to turn down in terms of the views.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #44

I won't use a pull through unless it's a last resort. I much prefer a back in for being more quiet and private. Pull thru seem to get a ton of traffic noise and it always seems as if everyone is driving right under your awning and right by your door.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:49 PM   #45

Question:

Is backing in with a single axle TT easier with your WDH on? Does the rigidity help or make it worse? Thanks!
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I prefer back-ins because for some reason I tend to massively overthink my position when pulling straight in, and end up too far to one side or the other - and then spend 30 minutes jockeying back and forth trying to get where I want, or even pulling all the way through and swinging around to take another run at it.

As someone else mentioned, maybe I just have way more practice backing it....
Thatís exactly what I experienced this past Thursday. Except it didnít take quite that long. It just seemed like it.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:06 AM   #47

Pull through is nice and easy for one night stops, longer stays back in preferred
Old 10-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #48

I've never had a pull through site I've enjoyed. They're great for an overnighter when I'm not unhooking and just looking for a spot to sleep (though I usually just stay at a rest stop or Walmart in that case, but sometimes the wife wants hookups for long showers). I prefer state parks and such with plenty of space between sites, and they're nearly always back-in.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #49
Old Camping Squid

Makes no difference to me. 33 foot camper. I never gave it a thought when picking a spot, I try to see what one has the most space on ether side, that's the one I will pick. they both are easy to get in and set up. So level and roomy is my choice, not about pull in or back in.
EZgo TXT and ClubCar Precedent golf carts
2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
U.S. Navy Veteran
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #50

Back-in issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
Itís the truth. Greater chance to over steer a shorter trailer.
Have had a 17' for four years (not used this year) and several times ran full tanks of gas through our Silverado practicing backing up in parking lots, and each time had knowledgable guys approach to give me tips. I've gotten more regular practice backing into my driveway to park the trailer. I'm getting worse, not better at being able to put the trailer away first try, which is really stressful because of the traffic on our road that requires a 90-degree back-in angle so I stay in one lane. So I always have to look for a pull-through site, which really limits where we can camp. I'm afraid to use a back-in site. So I'm next spring I'm paying for a CDL-qualified person to teach me how to back up correctly and quickly without jack-knifing the trailer. And any suggestions y'all have are greatly appreciated.
IamJean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJean2 View Post
Have had a 17' for four years (not used this year) and several times ran full tanks of gas through our Silverado practicing backing up in parking lots, and each time had knowledgable guys approach to give me tips. I've gotten more regular practice backing into my driveway to park the trailer. I'm getting worse, not better at being able to put the trailer away first try, which is really stressful because of the traffic on our road that requires a 90-degree back-in angle so I stay in one lane. So I always have to look for a pull-through site, which really limits where we can camp. I'm afraid to use a back-in site. So I'm next spring I'm paying for a CDL-qualified person to teach me how to back up correctly and quickly without jack-knifing the trailer. And any suggestions y'all have are greatly appreciated.
Short trailers are seriously tough. If the distance (length) between the hitch ball and the center of your truck's front axle is more than the distance between the hitch ball and the middle of the trailer axle (or the spot between the tires on double axle trailers), it is always going to be difficult.

The problem is that a small change at the steering wheel creates a large change at the hitch, which starts the trailer turning, but then the trailer turns so fast due to its short "wheelbase", the front end of the truck can never catch up.

I am sure that you could find someone who could pop that trailer in from 90 degrees - but you won't find very many. And even fewer who could do it first time, every time. I used to have a friend who was a truck driver. He had a little 10 foot dirt bike trailer, and when he parked it in his carport he would unhook it from the truck and push it in by hand.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuB-IA2MI View Post
Question:

Is backing in with a single axle TT easier with your WDH on? Does the rigidity help or make it worse? Thanks!
I don't feel there is a difference.Just go slow and make small corrections.
Wildcat Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Buckeye View Post
I don't feel there is a difference.Just go slow and make small corrections.
I saw this question earlier, and can only think of 2 differences.

I understand that single axle trailers tend to have higher tongue weight, so I would think that in a lot of cases you would run the risk of dragging your hitch and/or jack.

If you have a WD hitch that uses a separate friction bar, you would want to remove the friction bar before backing. But that would be true for any trailer, I guess.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJean2 View Post

I was the same way in the beginning, back in sites made me break out in a sweat. Until, a fellow camper told me to notice, when Iím driving my truck w/o the camper, how very little I turn the wheel when making a right or left turn. He was right. A light came, I got it. Since Iíve learned to make very slight adjustments when backing in, and to back in my site very slow. Now all I book are back in sites. Yes, practice makes perfect. Donít worry about people watching, everyone has been there.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:14 PM   #55

I can't comment on the ease of positioning the trailer with pull-through vs. back in. My preference for back-in is the additional privacy and trees (USUALLY) associated with a back-in site.

I'm fortunate to have practice with trailer backing dating back to my teens and my Dad teaching me. So both are a piece of cake.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred View Post
Just makes sense for many on their way to a final destination to find a pull thru for convenience for an overnight stay (ready to hit the road next day). Once we arrive at final destination for extended stay it really doesn't matter to us. We are in a small MicroLite 21DS which is pretty easy to maneuver and back in if need be.
I don't understand the statement above. How are you less prepared to leave the next day from a back-in spot? I arrive at a campground for a 1 night stay. The only difference between a back in spot and a pull-through spot is the 5 extra minutes it takes me to back into the site. Everything else after that is exactly the same. If I am going to leave the next day and I can get everything level, I just leave the TV connected. The next morning, whether it is a pull-through or a back in spot, all I have to do is unhook water and electricity and pull forward to leave. So where is the major difference?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Short trailers are seriously tough. If the distance (length) between the hitch ball and the center of your truck's front axle is more than the distance between the hitch ball and the middle of the trailer axle (or the spot between the tires on double axle trailers), it is always going to be difficult.

The problem is that a small change at the steering wheel creates a large change at the hitch, which starts the trailer turning, but then the trailer turns so fast due to its short "wheelbase", the front end of the truck can never catch up.

I am sure that you could find someone who could pop that trailer in from 90 degrees - but you won't find very many. And even fewer who could do it first time, every time. I used to have a friend who was a truck driver. He had a little 10 foot dirt bike trailer, and when he parked it in his carport he would unhook it from the truck and push it in by hand.
I have had cdl for 45 years. You need to go back to the parking lot and learn the angle that is the point of no return for your trailer. That is the point where following the trailer will not correct the turn but just make it worse.
Maybe a front mounted ball could help also.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:17 PM   #58

Back-in.

I have a 30ft TT and have large rear windows. I prefer looking at woods or water rather than roads.

I got stuck in a pull through site in CO once due to a 3ft drop on one side and a large tree on the other. I ended up having to back out of the pull through site.

I also have smaller trailers (not campers) that are way more difficult to back up. Wost thing I ever had to backup was a seadoo with a jeep wrangler at the boat ramp. Had to be entertaining to watch. The short wheel base on the jeep and short trailer make for a series of S turns. At least the jeep had a very good turning radius.

As far as positioning you do realize you can back into a pull through site. I have done that when I had trouble positioning once.

Happy camping!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I don't understand the statement above. How are you less prepared to leave the next day from a back-in spot? I arrive at a campground for a 1 night stay. The only difference between a back in spot and a pull-through spot is the 5 extra minutes it takes me to back into the site. Everything else after that is exactly the same. If I am going to leave the next day and I can get everything level, I just leave the TV connected. The next morning, whether it is a pull-through or a back in spot, all I have to do is unhook water and electricity and pull forward to leave. So where is the major difference?
Yeah, that statement made no sense to me either.

Mike
Old 10-26-2020, 12:38 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
These replies are very interesting to me. I hadnít considered the privacy issue. I just find itís easier for me to back in straighter than it is to pull in forward.
I guess Iíve backed so often that I rarely get to ďpracticeĒ pulling straight in. I know which way to turn my steering wheel to get the trailer to go where I want it to. Other than driving I have very little experience getting the trailer to go where I want it to while going forward.
My trailer lives in our backyard. Itís 8í wide. I back it through a 9í gate. Slowly and carefully but itís not all that difficult for me. Trust me... Iím not claiming to be an expert. Not in the least. I just found it interesting Thursday that I was having trouble getting the trailer parallel with the concrete patio when I was pulling in to our site at Lakewood RV Resort in Hendersonville, NC.

I agree with backing in being easier, park my 8 wide trailer in a 9 wide driveway with a tree
on one side and a telephone pole on the other when loading out or coming home.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote