Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #1

Does anyone have a 23 ft bunkhouse?

My husband and I are about to upgrade our 21 ft shamrock hybrid to a 23 ft bunkhouse trailer. We want a trailer with less setup.
If you have a 23 ft bunkhouse... Are there any particular features that you are really happy with, or any you are very unhappy with.
Thanks

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #2

Is it just you two?

My Wife and I liked the Palomino Puma 23FB. Check it out. Not the most luxurious or expensive out there, but for our lite usage its perfect.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywendolyn View Post
My husband and I are about to upgrade our 21 ft shamrock hybrid to a 23 ft bunkhouse trailer. We want a trailer with less setup.
If you have a 23 ft bunkhouse... Are there any particular features that you are really happy with, or any you are very unhappy with.
Thanks
I have a surveyor 235 RKS, not sure if you would qualify my trailer as a bunkhouse that you would be interested in. In case you are;

It does have two bunks at the front, the bottom one folds up and there is a 1/2 door on the road side to fit bikes etc. into (we put 4 bikes inside, two are kids though). The rear has a short king slide that is all bed. It is a great size for traveling, 25'-10" tip to tip but extends out 3 feet further past the spare tire when camping.

The knocks against the trailer are;

1. Not enough storage, all kinds of space that forest river did not utilize (family of 4, kids are 6 & 8)
2. High step in height of slide out bed.
3. Short length bed (74" vs. 80 for your house bed)
4. Lack of counter space.
5. The table has to be flipped up when setting up.
6. Bathroom is awful small, tub is only 32" long

Great parts are the trailer are;

1. Tows great, has low riding torsion suspension
2. Slide setup is electric, push a button
3. bunks are 48" wide X 74" long (top and bottom), huge for a trailer this size.
4. 2" sidewall thickness (a lot of other trailers 1-1/2" thick sidewalls).
5. Relatively light weight (starts out at 3800+ lbs. in brochure but with additional equipment mine has a weight of 4650 lbs.) This is including interior and exterior packages.
6. Enclosed and heated underbelly
7. Full amenities including propane oven, 30 gallon tanks.
8. It can carry 2900 lbs. of stuff because it is built on the same frame as the 25 and 30 ft models, heavy duty and solid.

I touched on this a little bit already but my trailer's roof line is 8" lower than your shamrock, this means over 5' less of wind drag from the front of the trailer and a more aggressive slope.

hope this helps, happy camping,
shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote