Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Does it bug anyone else Rev. 2

Just wanting to blow a little steam, and get some suggestions in to those who post problems and are seeking help.

REMEMBER FIRST Each of us knows our own trailer. Don't assume when you say Flagstaff, or Rockwood, that the person reading the post is going to know what you have. Specify somewhere, and whether it's a trailer of a 5'ver. Also length may help in some circumstances.

1. When asking about your tow vehicle and trailer, and will it tow it? Give year, model, engine, trans of tow vehicle, and any mods or tow packages. Also give length, weight, and tongue weight of the trailer. I can offer my opinion as good as the next guy, but I hate looking this stuff up.

2. Be a LOT more specific when asking for help with an appliance. "My water heater won't light, help" won't get you very far. Include brand, model number, year of the trailer, and any things you might have already checked. Don't SAY you have checked them, make sure you have checked them.

3. Put your hometown location in your profile. Nobody is gong to come knocking on your door asking for money. May help determine if you will be happy towing in Arizona, or how much air conditioning to recommend for Florida.

4. Do a little homework. Most on here are glad to help, but make sure you have learned enough to understand the help. I asked one person one time about air pressure, response was "manufacturer recommended". Then I asked which manufacturer, chassis, coach, or tire? No response, so I asked, "what does the gauge say when you check the tire pressure?" No response.

5. Most operating manuals for appliances are online, easy to find and get. If you don't have one, go get it. Read it. Read it again. Now really read it.

6. Remember you have to be the hands, eyes, and ears for the group. While trying to help someone with a power problem, the question was asked, "What's the voltage......" You have to get a meter, and learn a little about how to use it. Same with plumbing, as the the pressure may need to be known.

7. I love to help people, but refuse to do their work for them. Help yourself all that you can first. When asking a question, be as specific as you can, with all the details. There's a lot of information all over the internet, make sure you have checked at least some of it.

Thanks for letting me blow a little steam.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Team

All good points and I also get tired of the same questions at
times but new folks are going to have a lot of the same"new" questions.
Few will read your post first.
But if it made you feel good to write it then it was worth it.

I am considering saving the answer to the perennial--
"How do I switch my hot water heater from gas to electric?"
Or variations of that subject.
Then I can just post the standard answer back to them.

My favorite is this one---
"how do I winterize my _________ "
Now that's one that get's asked a LOT.

I'm not really complaining. A lot of folks receive a lot of good
answers here. That's what's so neat about the forums.

Happy Camping!
KyDan
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe we should get a "How To" section. In it we could have winterize, switch water heater, slide problems, concertone stuff, tires, awnings, trouble-shoot furnace procedure, and some other general headings. Then whe people ask, they can be referred to the "How To" section. Any comments?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote