Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Couple hours at most. Fiver is plugged in and waiting on the drive. Fridge stays stocked with the normals, and we keep or restock the freezer with meat. Clothes get washed and returned to their areas within a day or two of coming home. Most of our trips are weekends, but a couple week or two during the summer. That's why we bought a camper. Too much work loading the tents, coolers, food boxes, clothes, etc, etc. The camper stays stocked like a second home.
We will go on small trips that just come up the some day so the 5th wheel stays just about stocked all the time.
RONN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #22
NELA

Sneak and I both have "RV dedicated" shoes, sleep wear, etc. Those go right back into the RV with the linens after laundry.

For loading of groceries, other clothes, etc. I have one of those tall wire carts on wheels. I load it full then roll it out to the 5er in the back yard. With my neck injury I have a very restrictive weight lifting limit (a 20 pack of sodas? out of the question..ain't happening...I get help at the grocery store with that, then unload the cans from my vehicle into the cart a few at a time if Sneak isn't home). I roll the cart up to the steps and unload it a few items at a time on to the floor at the top of the steps. Then I go in and put it all in place. LOTS of trips out to the RV are saved that way.

A child's wagon or a garden/yard wagon would work just as well.

Before we had shore power I had BIG zip lock bags that I put all the condiments for the camper fridge into. Those bags went into our spare fridge in the garage. Load up time meant simply grabbing those bags, into the wire cart they went, then rolled out to the camper.

The neck injury makes what we love to do more a challenge, but one simply has to learn to do things a different way.

Example: I do not shop for groceries at any store that doesn't have "bag boys". I shop at a small local grocery, and since I've always tipped them (even before the injury), the "bag boys" will almost fight over who is going to take my groceries out and load them in my vehicle. When they see me enter the store one will ask if I need help loading sodas into my cart. The cashiers know to load my groceries in many bags...keeping each bag very light.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #23

Aaahhh yes... pack for days and get 5 mile out the drive way and down the road and 'remember' that 'one' thing that was needed the most..... 100 other things in the camper that are never used and forgetting that 'one thing' could ruin the whole trip (gasp).... Once the 'camp' is set up.... it is off the wallyworld for that 'one thing'... that ends up not being needed after all.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

When we head to FL for 3 months, it takes about an hr. to pack the frig/pantry, etc. but TOWTA takes about a week+ to load her clothes,etc. We keep my clothes in the camper all the time. The outside stuff is ready all the time, so it's a matter of just plugging in the TST tire monitor and make sure they are up to 65#, hook up, disconnect shore power and go.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #25
NELA

Well now that you mention it, OC, (ahem) yeah....my clothes take up most of that wardrobe slide closet. Sneak keeps his jeans and shorts in the overhead cabinets. But I *do* let him have one shelf on the left side of the wardrobe.

I think we have more laundry to do when we get home this time than we've ever had before. We're wanting to stay an extra day here too, but we'd have to move the RV...uh uh....BUT, there's a pull through that just went vacant. We could hitch up and move there, then stay hitched for the last night.

You oughta see our new bedding! Sneak bought me a new, gorgeous, quilt and shams. I'ma post it in the "pics for the heck of it" thread.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #26
Rivnut

I think Weezer and Aquaman have it down, you will get better, But I can't live without Checklist's for everything....!!!
Rivnut AWE1972 Aviator Electra
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #27

at times I have to go from the house to 5th wheel to find something to wear. Most of my stuff stays in there. I wear uniforms to work so don't need much in house. Usually more cold beer in the camper than house. I can load up, hook up, drive to, and be set up at our local "weekend get away" state park in about an hour.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #28
NELA

I love having a "back up source" for the S&B.

ooops, outta cooking oil! run out and get some out of Buffy

BUT, I keep a list of things I borrow out of the RV and replace them next trip to the grocery store.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

There is definitely a difference between those who store at home and therewith a storage lot. With time and practice comes routines and ways to make things easier/quicker. We stock the fiver like the house with dishes toiletries etc. This way the only stuff going back and forth are food, clothes, dog food/toys, anything special we need for the trip and our electronic devices (ie phone/iPad). I may purchase dog toys that stay in the fiver. We already leave a leash, extra collar, dog bowls and vaccine record in the fiver.

For a typical Friday departure weekend trip :
Wed night-
laundry (common when not camping so I don't really count it as prep).
Make a list of items to bring (I break the food down by meal and ingredients to prepare it)

Thurs- grocery shop either Wed or thurs depending on work schedule
pack clothes into a laundry basket (I do mine and dd, DH does his own)
Put dry goods together for a quick grab
Put cold food together for a quick grab out of fridge

Fri- work all day, as soon as dh gets off work he goes to turn on fridge and picks dd up from after school Care. When I get home we either throw everything in the truck to transfer over before heading out or we bring the trailer home to load. Either way, trailer is less than 5 min from house.

I could do all of this same day and expedite the method but I rather stay relaxed about it, especially with working full-time. If we take a longer trip I usually just take a day off and do most of this stuff on that day. I have been known to hook up the fiver, take it with me to the grocery store so I can just put the food straight into it. We take our dog and as a young pup (barely a year), he is learning to be a good camping dog. He loves the trailer and the new friends he meets on the trips, especially if there is a dog park at the campground. The only time we kennel for a trip is if we expect to be away from the tt most of the time (ie fort wilderness and Disney parks). However, you know your dogs, if they are happier at a kennel or not well behaved/quiet dogs then take them to the kennel.

As others said try spreading your prep out to make it less stressful. After forgetting a few things you will get a system. I have forgotten a Halloween costume for dd the weekend the campground had trick or treating. Closest store that might have something was 45 min away so dh just made the 90 min trip home for the existing costume. Another weekend I forgot ketchup and mustard (hot dogs/hamburgers on the menu) as well as the baked beans. Same trip I forgot the crock pot for the brisket I was making for a group dinner. We were 30 min from home but state parks here close and lock gates at dusk. Not enough time so we had dry/plain hot dogs that night and got everything the next morning. I learned the importance of the list those 2 weekends. I do not keep food items in the trailer when not in use because we only go out 1-2 times per month and I don't want to attract bugs/animals. A thorough clean out when getting home helps with this.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #30

We purchased a NTU Trailer and I have been working on this for over a month getting ready for a 6 month trip. Mods have been very time consuming. Eternabond to adding a TV to hooking up a Little Buddy heater and the list goes on. Everytime we get a new trailer, it takes weeks to get it ready. Once ready, it does not take long for just a quick load and go. Best of luck.
We are driving a Ford F250 Gasser and pulling a Evergreen G269FK. We also have a Cairn Terrier. 2 Champion Generators. This year, planning on 6 months in our Evergreen visiting, California, Michigan, and Ohio. We live in Florida. Grandkids, and dog are why we camp. Also have a Hensley Hitch which that eliminates all sway. Pricey, but worth it.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #31

3-4.....im ocd on prep tho..
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #32
2014 XLR 27HFS

We keep everything on it that we need except beer and food. If it's a weekend trip, I can be rolling in 30 minutes - that doesn't count grocery shopping or cooling off the fridge. If the upcoming trip is several weeks, it's a few days prep time - especially if the bike is going camping with us.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
We bought the RV so we can take the dogs. Saves the trip to kennel and the expense. Dogs are happy when they get to head for the camper rather than the car. A look at our avatar, sign-in ID and signature will confirm. Yes they are spoiled rotten, but they love us and are part of the family. They generally ride on a pillow between the front seats of our C or DW's lap and sleep on the same pillow.
We used to have bassett hounds who would not eat while at the kennel. We first leased then eventually bought our own trailer. We now have two chihuahua mix dogs and a beagle and they do get excited when they see the trailer in the driveway.

We pull the trailer out of storage about two weeks prior to the trip. Since we both work full time, that gives us enough enough time to get everything that needs to be loaded and not forget anything.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #34

I have no idea how long it takes.

I don't own a watch.

Or a calendar.

BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I have no idea how long it takes.

I don't own a watch.

Or a calendar.

Some people have all the luck!!!!!

Old 08-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #36

First camping trip about a week on and off checking rv out next few is easier load and go.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #37

Everyone is talking about stocking the RV but what about the house. Don't forget to put your mail delivery on hold, and if you are going to be gone more than a week and have private garbage pickup give them a call and have them put you on vacation hold and get a credit or the day(s) they didn't pick up. Also, I always turn the whole house water off (don't want any vandals turning on the outside faucet and letting it run for a week or so)(also keeps the house from being flooded if the washer supply hose should break), put the water heater on pilot, and lift the bail on the ice maker in the frig so it isn't trying to make cubes when there is no water.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #38

Other than the first trip we can be on our way within 30 minutes. The outside stuff is always good to go. We keep clothing, shoes, boots etc in the m/h. When we get home from a trip I bring in all the bedding and dirty clothes, wash and return them. I make up the bed again and clean everything. I carry basic food items from a checklist and keep track of items used during a trip and restock when we get home. We keep it plugged in at home with the fridge and freezer stocked and ready. Just a matter of adding fresh veg milk eggs etc from the fridge at home along with meds passports or anything special and away we go. Dog travels with us. It gets easier in time. We've been camping for a very long and are organized. It helps. Easier load up means less stress and a better trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #39

Generally all I need to load in the TT is medicines for DH and myself, dog food (grab a small bag at store while buying perishables).
TT cleaned after last trip, pantry (use what is there), dirty laundry washed next to last day of camping.
Can be ready to leave within 1 hour AFTER the TT is brought home.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #40
NELA

Holy smokes! After this trip I think we need a thread about how long it takes to UNLOAD after a trip!

I'm not gonna 'git in a snit' about it though.....pulled in at 11 PM last night, backed 'er in, hooked 'er up and ran out all the slides. Then we both crashed...slept in a bit this morning.

HEY, I even drove the rig for a while last night! White knuckle time!

I'll unload at my leisure. Just brought in essentials last night; meds, our "my pillow" pillows that go with us where *ever* we go (need to buy 2 more for the RV) and the laundry.

the laundry!