Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Is there someone you travel with that can drive in case you cannot?
Yes 125 49.80%
No 126 50.20%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #81
Shelley

Yes, I drive at least 50% at least on all trips. I don’t let my hubby touch the slides. I empty out our holding tank, low point drain valves, and empty our water heater. Last week I selected and had installed new Michelin Defender tires on our Forester 2401 MBS. I get gas and propane filled, etc. I also assist with black and grey tank emptying.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #82
Shelley

Correction, I took RV to get tires installed and watched closely the entire process.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #83

My wife CAN operate our rig, and has several times, but doesn't like to. And unless I'm totally comatose she drives ME … crazy when she does. Will NOT go over 45 mph and freaks when a big truck passes (even though we have a Hensley hitch and no sway)! I believe if I conked out she could get us to the next safe place. Or call 911. 52 years here, too!
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #84
Chris and Cecil

DH won’t let me drive. Won’t even take me out to learn. Says he’d rather drive than ride. I can do all set up including WDH and dumping and if he couldn’t drive I feel like I could manage if I took my time. Worst case scenario I’d call our insurer for towing home.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #85

If something was to happen to me on the road DW would call DS and he would fly to pick up the camper or call someone to tow camper home. If I was to die DW would never camp again.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #86

I would love to have my DW give it a shot but she doesn't even like driving the truck without the trailer (probably has logged less than 50 miles on it in 3 years). I/we realize this could leave us in a bind but asking her to do something she is that uncomfortable with is really a non-starter for me.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I've tried to encourage the DW but can't hardly get her behind the wheel of the TV much less the whole shebang
That's my wife as well.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #88

Interesting posts! Fifty years ago, we took our honeymoon with a slide in camper. We have had Class As and Class Cs along the way. We have always towed a fair size boat or a toad. DW has been helping drive all those years. When not driving, she does a great job navigating. There was a time when she drove the MH grocery shopping.

At one time, we hobby farmed and she drove the tractors. I have made certain that she knows how to handle a boat on coastal waters and the Mississippi.

It has never been about mine or yours. It is ours to share.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #89

I have walked almost a thousand miles on the Appalachian Trail, DW walked one time and said never again. That said anywhere I want to take the camper too she is ready to go. I like to drive, I don’t trust other people’s driving. Sometimes I’m bad driving but others are worse. DW will sell the truck and camper should I go first. I don’t think DW would leave the front porch of our house but for me
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Congrats on the 52. Wife and I will be 37 years this year and 42 years together...started dating in high school.
Congrats to you both!
Our 37th is in 2 days; 41 years together, both class of 1978 😀👍
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #91

I drove our hybrid with the Silverado for 4 yrs and now help my DH on trips with the F250 and 31ft trailer. I can fill the water tank if needed and emptied black and grey(2) tanks all by myself. While my DH and I share the hooking up and unhooking I can do it alone if I need to. The only area I’m not real comfortable with is backing into a spot, especially if it’s not wide open. We’ve been married 53 yrs, 20 + in the Army, so I learn early to be self reliant. Now in retirement we do and share most everything.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #92

My husband doesn't like to drive and I do so I do most all of the driving. I back up to the 43' 5'r and lock it in and he does all the connecting. I run the power Jack's when setting up and taking down. We both do the setup and the take down. Been married 52 years and that is the way we have always done things. I see women sitting out on the picnic table while their poor husbands work themselves to death and they don't lift a finger. Granted, a lot of "macho" men don't want their women to help, but my parents didn't raise me that way.
BTKIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #93

Just FYI. We see it all! We are full timers that Park Host in State Parks and sometime it is almost comical watching and listening to the arguments. 🤣
BTKIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #94

Yes, like a boss of the road! 2400MBS towing a truck!
Flapjackdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #95

Funny thing. My wife and I married nearly 50 years ago. During the first 20 years or so I made sure that if something happened to me while flying she could at least use the radio, do basic maneuvers and possibly get the plane down on the ground herself. BUT TODAY, she will NOT pull the trailer off the Interstate. She will only drive between rest stops but never to fuel up or get off the Interstate. She just will not. Hard to understand.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
Congrats to you both!
Our 37th is in 2 days; 41 years together, both class of 1978 😀👍
Awesome !! High School Sweet Hearts.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #97

Does your significant other know how to drive your rig?

Wife & I will celebrate our 40th Anniversary while camping at Glacier NP this summer. She drives our Forester and toad regularly. Drives faster than me but that’s another story.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:22 AM   #98
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncgrandma View Post
I drove our hybrid with the Silverado for 4 yrs and now help my DH on trips with the F250 and 31ft trailer. I can fill the water tank if needed and emptied black and grey(2) tanks all by myself. While my DH and I share the hooking up and unhooking I can do it alone if I need to. The only area I’m not real comfortable with is backing into a spot, especially if it’s not wide open. We’ve been married 53 yrs, 20 + in the Army, so I learn early to be self reliant. Now in retirement we do and share most everything.
Having been a "dependant" the 1st 17 years of my life, Thank You for your "service" while your husband served our country. I'd like to think we dependants helped normalize life for our husbands, wives or parent(s). [emoji631]
Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:27 AM   #99

Absolutely, and I'm very grateful!

We're on our 4th RV, and she has driven them all (5th wheel, 2 class As and currently a Forester 3011DS class C). She has driven all over the country including mountains, big cities, etc. We usually alternate driving about 2-3 hours each, and it really makes our trips more enjoyable. She also can do everything needed for towing, set up, etc. I highly recommend it for many reasons, but obviously that depends on capabilities. Some women (and men) don't belong behind the wheel of an RV or TV.
rarmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #100
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
"NO" !!! and that's probably very beneficial to others on the road. She can call one of the kids if I decide to depart this universe unexpectedly.

That's funny. Join FMCA - membership includes free insurance to help members return (or get returned) back home including getting the rig back for you, as I understand it.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote