Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #21

my dog is part of our family, she sheds very bad but after a trip I just vacumn the truck out as best i can then use lint sticky paper rollers to get the rest. we dont leave home without our dog. I would further suggest that you mite leave one of the kids at home. LOL but at least have a kid hold the dog.. If i still had kids or grand kids at home I wouldnt be going camping. I am way past putting up with kids.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #22

(NOTE: My idea might be a bit biased since I honestly like dogs better than people. And if I didn't have dog fur in my truck, I would be curious as to who's truck I'm driving)

I would say use a kennel. Placing a dog in a crate and strapping it into the rear of a 5th wheel sounds abusive to me. Just imagine if it were you. Would you like to ride alone in the back of a 5th wheel on a hot day for a few hundred miles?
Mine ride in the back seat, on a hammock style seat cover, and both were harnesses attached to the seat belt buckle.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
The thing that really bothers us are all the "dog friendly" places we would like to visit seems like the dog friendly extends only to the parking lot. No dogs on trails or paths and definitely not in buildings even though he is secured in a pet stroller.
your just going to the wrong places. If you have never been to Savannah, you have probably missed the dog friendliest town in the nation. Dogs are welcome at any restaurant with outside seating, all will provide a water bowl with fresh water and some even have doggie menus.

We have traveled all over the east coast with our thirteen year old Chihuaha, Chichi, ever since he was a pup and he has been welcome most everywhere. Prior to getting the motor home, we would usually stay at the LaQuinta chain of hotels. all are pet friendly would allow quiet pets to stay crated in your room while you went to dinner.

If you took the time to research, you would be amazed at all of the dog parks along the major highways east of the Mississippi.

In the few short months I have been researching RV Campgrounds, I have already realized that the snooty ones aren't for us, too many rules and far too expensive for our taste. We can do without TV, the internet, and swimming pools. We would much rather have nature, stars, and fresh air.

BTW as far as your dog goes, get a good kennel such as this and secure it in the back of the pickup as close to the cab as possible. make sure it is big enough so your dog can move around in it freely so they can find the perfect position to lay down. Ruff Tough Kennels Intermediate Kennel : Cabela's
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post

even though he is secured in a pet stroller.

Please don't....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1467854352.568469.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	113299

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Please don't....

Attachment 113299

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Looks like a non-shedding breed, too.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:33 AM   #26
Insert witty title here

Our TT has a rear bunkhouse. We removed lower bunk and use that space for our fuzzy babies. A baby gate keeps them contained and they ride there while we travel. We keep all the shades drawn to keep the sun's heat out and a couple of windows open for ventilation,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Please don't....

Attachment 113299

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Fraid so... I like that one better than what we have. Don't know why the pic posts wrong. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150624_143523.resized.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	476.2 KB
ID:	113410  
Old 07-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #28

When whole family is coming we have our dog ride in TT. We open both roof vents and crack windows. I have one of those outdoor wireless thermometers where one piece is in TT and the receiver is in cab with me. I can monitor temp the entire time. So far has not been too hot in TT.
srderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #29

WRT riding in the FW, we would never do it on purpose, EXCEPT, our two cats have taken to hiding inside an inaccessible (to us) cavity under the L-shaped sofa, as soon as they detect we are preparing to move. We've had to travel, up to six hours in one instance, with them closed up in the FW. The first few times they did this we were very concerned and opened the doors several times to check on them; they didn't come out until we were setting up.

This has happened about six times now. It's summertime and hot, but it hasn't seen overly hot in the RV after traveling, and the cats come meandering out of their hidey hole looking as good as they went in. We know it sounds bad and we certainly don't do it by choice, but it appears they prefer not to go in their crates in the back seat of the truck. Now, we would never put our nervous dog in the FW, crated or not. For the OP, will the dog fit on the floor of your TV, sharing foot space with the passenger?
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #30
Site Team

Suggest that you take a ride inside the trailer and see if you like it.
The DW took a short ride inside ours and came out madder than a wet hen.
She said that no way would she put the dog in there while driving.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel