Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #1

Dometic Refrigerator Cooling issue

I have 8 cu. ft. Dometic electric/propane refrig. When on electric it does not cool down too fast like it did in the past. Seems to get it down but only after a long time of it not having any doors open. Does not maintain temp well like it used to. On propane no problem . Cools quickly and maintains temp right where it should be. So I am thinking no thermistor problem. I am thinking the electric heat element is starting to go bad. Thoughts from anyone? I would appreciate it.
dlewand53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Site Team

You can resistance test the element and see if it reads what it's supposed to. The heating element should read about 44Ω. Make sure to unplug it from the board before testing it.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #3

yeah electric seams to take longer than propane. What we do is we freeze several bottles of water and place them in the fridge. That way while we are traveling the fridge is cool when we get there. When we connect to electrical it doesn't take long to get down to a reasonable temp. Plus we have a fan to circulate the air in the fridge.
MarcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewand53 View Post
I have 8 cu. ft. Dometic electric/propane refrig. When on electric it does not cool down too fast like it did in the past. Seems to get it down but only after a long time of it not having any doors open. Does not maintain temp well like it used to. On propane no problem . Cools quickly and maintains temp right where it should be. So I am thinking no thermistor problem. I am thinking the electric heat element is starting to go bad. Thoughts from anyone? I would appreciate it.
Mine is brand new, 2019, and it took 2 hrs to defrost and 6 on electric to cool off. Propane does it faster.
Installed one of these. Even cooling. Works great.
https://smartrvproducts.com/shop/dom...fix-product-1/
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #5

I picked up a small electric refrigerator fan on Amazon and now I gotta watch not to freeze everything.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #6

If the electric element ohms out OK it may very well be the board.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #7

Refrigerator cooling problem

After 9 campers and motorhomes over the years since 1989. I have had some issues with cooling. One thing is electric operation usually a little slower, also, if not working at all, check out or replace the board, if it's one that has a board. The old refrigerators were simple and manual and usually if one was slow, we could take it out, put it upside down for a week and return it to be working like a new one. Something about air bubbles in the system is what I was told back in 1990...it worked once for me in a 1994 travel trailer, that said, that wire and clip on those fins inside the refrigerator,..if you move it over a fin or two to the left, it will get a lot cooler. Worked for me. Maybe I gave you some sort of help.
Retired Electrician, Miller Brewery, 31 yrs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, refrigerator