Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #21

Speaking of Electric battery drills... I love my Ryobi... sold at Home Depot all over if you ever need a new battery or charger, etc... they even sell refurb's on amazon

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #22

I used to carry a cordless drill but then I got an impact wrench to enable me to change a flat if needed. With 738lb cargo capacity total, I pack light and feel no need to carry both when one will do the job. I figure a few seconds of noise is inconsequential considering that the rest of the time I’m always significantly quieter than most everyone around me!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Those may not be impact wrenches. I have a Black & Deck LiON battery drill that has a torque adjustment ring on it. When it gets to the set torque, it starts chattering like mad. Maybe it's me you've heard.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-.../dp/B005NNF0YU
Oh, it’s not you I’ve heard. I definitely know the difference in the sounds of the grinding of a drill clutch and the pounding of an impact wrench. But if I am wrong and it is you, why do you keep grinding that clutch for so long? Don’t you know you're done once the clutch starts chattering at you, begging for you to stop?

Bruce
Old 08-09-2019, 05:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I need to send you my 2 kids. All the exercise you could stand. It's good, but gosh......

When you choose to use them? There are times you don't?
If I remain hitched to the TV, I don't use 'em. If unhooked, only the two at the rear as a rule.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:34 AM   #25

getting back to the 'subject at hand', as they say, I don't see the same 'problem' the original post is referring to, at least without seeing the 'rest' of the RV or camper, and how it is set up....

what's interesting, is this might just be a small pop-up camper, very light, and the stabilizers look like they are certainly beefy enough to handle it without issue.
Are you going to be jumping around, or running around, while using the pop-up? probably not, it's not large enough - so maybe the owner's are on a slope and this is the way they want to handle it, or maybe they are going to put something under the wheels, but just hand't 'got around' to it yet. Who knows.

Most of the time the issue is not one of 'whether the stabilizer is made to jack a camper off the ground', but one of whether the campers frame is designed to be able to handle the 'racking' difference between one corner and the others, which could ultimately twist or bend the frame. I'm sure the stabilizers actually could handle a lot more weight than they might get credit for.

Recently, my son's camper was having the air conditioner's water run off near the doorway. And, even though the camper was mostly level, I decided to try to slightly 'tilt' the camper toward the rear corner to provide a better place for the water to run off.
Afterwards, we noticed that the entry door was suddenly hard to open, when it had been opening just fine before.
Certainly, my first thought was that the frame had been 'twisted', even slightly, but to the point that the frame and doorway were now under a different pressure, creating a 'racked' doorway for the door to fit into.

So, I realized, after some inspection, that my changes in the stabilizer to 'tilt' the camper created a twisted frame issue, even ever so slightly. I simply went back to square one, taking up all the stabilizers, and only snugged each one down, versus applying too much pressure, as I probably had done on day one. The door then went to working properly, and the water drip issue actually was resolved as well.

Frames aren't fans of being 'twisted', which is what happens when more pressure is applied to one 'corner' versus the others, so something must 'change' when that happens. In this case, the door frame was the 'weak point'(a large opening, who would have guessed, right!)... for others, it could be the slide opening, causing slide issues or binding, etc.
For a pop up, though, I doubt it might be noticeable.

Most larger RVs and motorhomes with hydraulic or electric LEVELING systems follow a 'tandem' protocol, for this very reason. Either the side pairs work in tandem, running in or out together, or the end pairs work in tandem, but never a SINGLE jack, since this could rack or twist or put too much pressure on one 'corner' of the RV's chassis, creating many, many potential issues, even many more than campers, trailers, and pop-ups.
Sometimes new owners struggle to understand how to get one 'corner' higher or lower, but you have to do the 'opposite' to make it happen, such as raising the rear pair and then the passenger side pair, in order to have the driver's corner slightly lower than the rest, etc., as you can't just 'drop' the driver's corner jack by itself.

fun !
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Oh, it’s not you I’ve heard. I definitely know the difference in the sounds of the grinding of a drill clutch and the pounding of an impact wrench. But if I am wrong and it is you, why do you keep grinding that clutch for so long? Don’t you know you're done once the clutch starts chattering at you, begging for you to stop?

Bruce
Guess it's not me you've heard, because as soon as it starts to chatter, I stop.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #27

Sure 500 dollars on the snap on truck. [emoji1787]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Can one even buy a screwdriver anymore?
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #28

Quote:

At Sears...
No... check that.... Sears closed.

One time I went to "Auto.. we have everything you need store" to get a tool to work on my truck.... They told me to try Harbor Freight... Yep... Harbor Freight had it...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #29

Good way to twist the frame out of square. Then there is always the jack that just breaks off at the weld and they are crying about cheap made jacks.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #30

I just use a cordless drill. Makes the jack up and down fast. 6 year old grandson loves that job. He even knows to expect the drill torque when the jack gets down.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Only at a bar. Go buy some Vodka and Orange juice and you make a bunch of them.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote