Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #1

Don’t move Firewood ?

https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/how-to-help/camping/ Says don’t do it at all

I always ask the campground when I am making a reservation if I can bring my own firewood into burn although reading the FAQ section on the website it states this is not a good idea so it leaves me wondering if I should just buy at the campgrounds if offered or maybe use a fake firewood like manufactured logs, wood pellets etc… Or maybe go the small propane fire pit route.

What irks me is when the campgrounds charge a ridiculous high price for a tiny bundle of firewood.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/how-to-help/camping/ Says don’t do it at all

I always ask the campground when I am making a reservation if I can bring my own firewood into burn although reading the FAQ section on the website it states this is not a good idea so it leaves me wondering if I should just buy at the campgrounds if offered or maybe use a fake firewood like manufactured logs, wood pellets etc… Or maybe go the small propane fire pit route.

What irks me is when the campgrounds charge a ridiculous high price for a tiny bundle of firewood.
Ask the campground if there is a local place to get it. They don't want firewood to be crossing state lines transporting bugs.
cavie is offline   Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #3

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #4

Many places allow outside firewood if it is Kiln-Dried. It will say that on the packaging (wrapper around it). The heat kills the critters inside of it.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #5

I just posted a bunch of links on this very topic...long story short, there are numerous insects that can be transported in firewood that are considered pests. You should never transport firewood...yes, it is expensive... but better than ruining the area you are enjoying. Firewood at places like Walmart are generally cheaper than the campground. Otherwise, see if there is someone local you can buy/get wood from. It’s annoying, but that’s why they are called pests!
boxman117 is offline   Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

We’ve seen the devastation the Ash Borer has done in Ohio. I’m not certain they will ever stop it but not transporting wood from an infested area will slow it down. The State Parks here all have signs about transporting wood but I’ve found the college kids they have at the check-in points don’t the know the difference between a piece of oak and a piece of plywood.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
We’ve seen the devastation the Ash Borer has done in Ohio. I’m not certain they will ever stop it but not transporting wood from an infested area will slow it down. The State Parks here all have signs about transporting wood but I’ve found the college kids they have at the check-in points don’t the know the difference between a piece of oak and a piece of plywood.

They just assume all wood is the same...lol...
boxman117 is offline   Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The only place I've ever been checked for wood is at the border. Despite pretty much every campground saying you can't bring wood in, I've never been checked in the 5 years we've been camping.

Mind you, I don't bring firewood, just a handful pallet strappings sometimes as fire starter, but no actual logs, just pointing out that I've never been checked.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Somehow I doubt that campers moving firewood around will cause the infestation or make it worse.

It is everywhere already!

Kinda' like the zebra mussels (not sure I spelled that correctly) and the boaters.

There is no stopping it!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #10

Emerald ash borers have recently been discovered in Vermont...
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #11
Retired

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words
The affect of Asian Longhorn Beetle in Worcester, MA.
Do you want to bring fire wood to your favorite CG from infected trees?

Name:   LHB Worcester, MA01.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  14.5 KB
before

Name:   LHB Worcester, MA02.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  9.6 KB
after

Buy Local...Burn Local

Happy Trails
Old 04-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #12
Site Team

Actual data.
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/docu...ate_EABpos.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Somehow I doubt that campers moving firewood around will cause the infestation or make it worse.

Kinda' like the zebra mussels (not sure I spelled that correctly) and the boaters.

There is no stopping it!

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Ask the campground if there is a local place to get it. They don't want firewood to be crossing state lines transporting bugs.
Many states don't want you bringing firewood from beyond a certain distance. 6 years ago Wisconsin had a 25 mile limit, 3 years ago they limited it to 5 miles or unlimited distance on kiln dried if you had a receipt documenting the wood was de-barked and kiln dried. The invasive pests come from overseas in the wood of shipping crates and pallets.

The campground where I'm a seasonal at gets their wood 6 miles up the road. They said it was de-barked and kiln dried. Seasonals can pick up wood by the face cord or have it delivered. I was one of the first to have a load delivered. The funny thing is the wood is neither de-barked or kiln dried.

When I brought the subject to the CG owners they checked the supplier out and found the wood comes from a 150 mile radius brought in by logging trucks. The company cuts it to length and has a splitter that accepts 30 inch diameter logs. There is not a kiln on the property and the de-barking is caused by the skidloaders scooping the wood from a large pile. Go figure.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #14

The firewood deal is a bit of a scam

I live in Virginia. Shenandoah NP has a firewood ban. I live 80 miles from there. Are you telling me firewood I harvest from my own land has any different pests in it than the trees there? Not likely.

Furthermore, SNP, Great Smokies, and a number of them are concerned about the emerald ash borer and the wooly adelgid. The ash borer affects...ASH trees, the wooly dude hemlock trees. NONE of my firewood I bring in is either of those. Usually I bring chestnut oak, hickory, maple, and occasionally some dry (dead) pine and poplar. NO BUGS in any of it.

Furthermore, I keep it in a tote inside my RV compartment. It comes out of the tote and straight into the fire. If there are any bugs in there, they better move pretty quick to start an infestation because they are going to be in flames soon. I really think this is something to help out the local population sellers and camp stores supplying firewood. The pests are just the tool being used on it.
YoBobH42 is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #15
larryandamy

Don't move firewood

I have gotten very fed up with the high prices for small qty and poor quality wood. I have a eucalyptus grove in my yard and I have over 20 yards of dried and split firewood that burns better than anything you can buy anywhere else. It burns hot and long. It never pops and burns down to just ashes every time.
BUT... I don't have room to haul much wood in my truck with slide-in camper and then everybody is freaked out about moving wood these days...
So... I bought a propane campfire on Amazon for $65 and although it does not have the heat output of a wood fire, it does provide enough heat, a flame to stare at, and NO SMOKE in your face. I keep it turned low to conserve propane, and it is cheaper than that fireproof crap they sell for wood these days. I can have about 8 to 10 hours (4 to 6 nights) on one 5 gallon propane tank.

When i can... i still have my trusty axe to collect local wood and we do that a lot when it is legal. But those places are getting fewer and fewer these days. You just have to ask... then get past the 5 minutes of "we sell wood" and "We do not allow wood gathering" to find out that there is almost always BLM land around that allows firewood collection.
larryandamy is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

There is no stopping it!
Sorry to be so blunt John but you are wrong. The Ash Borer came to the US from Asia in wooden pallets. It was first found around Detroit. Adults Ash Borers can only travel about one half mile. The infestation was spread by the nursery industry selling ash trees and campers by moving firewood. The Ash Borer has no predator so can freely breed and spread. Millions of Ash Trees have been killed and the financial cost to business, and homeowners is in the tens of millions.
As for the Zebra Mussel it too is invasive brought here in the bilges of European ships. The only way it spread to all of our lakes is from boaters. Once again the financial cost is extensive.
We are responsible for our environment and following simple rules and being considerate will go a long way to preserve our resources.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #17

It’s one thing for a $5 tiny bundle of wood it’s another thing for a $5 tiny bundle of slab bark that is green and will not burn... very few seem to actually kiln dry it. Indiana state parks allow outside wood provided the bark and a 1/2” of the sap wood has been removed. When I split our house firewood I always just pick the larger logs and split the heart wood out of them and set it aside for camping wood. Thus far no campground has taken any issue with that.
Oops is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #18

Chaplain Kent, great reply. Why do people want to argue with the law when it's been proven to hurt us all? I sure as heck don't want to camp in a field when all of our trees are gone. I spent a lot of money for our RV so a few bucks for firewood is not going to kill me.
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #19

Sorry Bobaloo, but I can't agree with that. $ are resources that the Lord has asked us to steward over. The parable of the talents tells a message of he who is a good steward of what he is given will receive stewardship over more. The Lord blessed me with 74 acres of Blue Ridge Mountain land. I harvest only fallen or naturally dead trees.

Why should I fork out $7 of a bundle of firewood that I don't need when the Lord has given me so much of it? That sounds like a double waste of the resources He has given me- the wood and the $.

No thanks.
YoBobH42 is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoBobH42 View Post
Sorry Bobaloo, but I can't agree with that. $ are resources that the Lord has asked us to steward over. The parable of the talents tells a message of he who is a good steward of what he is given will receive stewardship over more. The Lord blessed me with 74 acres of Blue Ridge Mountain land. I harvest only fallen or naturally dead trees.

Why should I fork out $7 of a bundle of firewood that I don't need when the Lord has given me so much of it? That sounds like a double waste of the resources He has given me- the wood and the $.

No thanks.
Respectfully, denial is not a river in Egypt.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply
Closed Thread