Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Door Lock Recall and Safety Issue

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Fastec Industrial Corp. (FIC) is recalling 2,864,670 model 43610, 40610, and 44610 door locks manufactured between Jan. 2006 and April 2013 with a keyed paddle handle and deadbolt for use in recreational vehicles. It may be possible to remove the key from the lock in a way that potentially jams the deadbolt in locks with certain key codes.

If the deadbolt jams, the interior side of the door lock may also jam. A person inside the recreational vehicle at the time will then be locked in and be unable to exit the vehicle without using the emergency exit, increasing the risk of injury.

FIC will notify the original equipment door and recreational vehicle manufacturers and the consumers of record and instruct them on how to determine whether they have a defective lock. Consumers of record will be sent replacement cylinders with instructions, free of charge. The vehicle manufacturers will notify their consumers. The recall is expected to begin Sept. 10, 2013. Owners may contact FIC at 1.800.837.2505.

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1.888.327.4236 (TTY 1.800.424.9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

SOURCE: NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #2

FWIW this happened to us.. but we were locked OUT.. not in. (the kitties were locked in.. and those rascals woudn't open the door for us either!! )
Flagstaff 832IKBS.. single door. and lock is FIC.. Sunday night call-out for a locksmith was $90!!!!

Emailed FR warranty and was told:
" WE PURCHASE THE DOORS FORM A COMPANY CALLED DEXTER WE DO NOT HAVE AMY
RECALL ON THE LOCKS AT THIS TIME. "...

Called FIC per the recall PDF.. and was told that based on what happened with our, YES it was under recall and they're sending me the replacement kit.

What irks me is that FR denied having these locks.. I think somebody owes me the $90 locksmith bill!!
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #3

woody9, I'd push harder. Ask for management. $90.00 is 2/3rd a tank of fuel where I am, and that's worth a phone call or two for sure.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

Oh, it's NOT dead yet! i sent him a photo of the lock.. had sent him the PDF about the recall. Also have another email address I'm going to use shortly. Just have another warranty issue that needs to be nailed down (converter had a hit-pitched screech to it. now THEY are telling me it checked fine. It may have been fine electrically, but audibly, it wasn't right ... or maybe i have dog hearing??)

Disappointingly, my list of issues on this trailer is growing way too fast!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody9 View Post
Just have another warranty issue that needs to be nailed down (converter had a hit-pitched screech to it. now THEY are telling me it checked fine. It may have been fine electrically, but audibly, it wasn't right ... or maybe i have dog hearing??)

Disappointingly, my list of issues on this trailer is growing way too fast!
Are you sure it is the converter? I had a high pitched whistle in our V-Lite when we first got it and I was the only one who could hear it. I tracked it down to the propane gas leak detector. Dealer sent me a new one right out and I changed it and life has been good since. Of course the detector is right beside the converter in ours so it could have been mistaken as the converter.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A fan going out on a wfco converter will. Have a high pitched squeal.
Which is why I added a third fan I can turn on and off.
If were camping its on.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

I ran their troubleshooting checklist and all results pointed to the board (not the fan, darn it). NOW they're saying it checked good, sent 'mine' (??) back and zapped the CC for one + shipping/handling.. dang them! Turbo - added a 3d? sounds like a good preventative measure! There a thread on that?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

Can anyone tell me where the original thread is about the lock recall. I wanted to show it to DH since our locks are included. We also had to call a locksmith after our puppy was locked inside. Dealer replaced the locks and new lock is still in recall
SBx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #9

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3E039-9876.pdf

as for an update on my situation.. FR is kicking the can on this over to FIC. FIC has been VERY good in providing replacement/tool to do it. I'm still thinking i SHOULD NOT be out the $90 for a locksmith visit to correct a defective lock!!!
Supposedly my request is floating around within FIC. and supposed to hear back next week. Will update what happens..
Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #10

I looked at the number on my RV key and called. They told me that the one I had was on the recall list. They took my address and told me that they would sent a new one with instructions for the install and an SAE to return the old recalled one to them. I will let you know how it went when I receive and install it. Looked like there were many recalled.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #11

just an update if anyone is still following this..
FCI reviewed my situation (after Forest River told me to punt it to them and it wasn't FR's issue).. AND they seem to have agreed and reimbursed me for the $90 locksmith fee from when we experienced the 'lockin-in' situation. (locked out actually, but the cats were locked in and couldn't open the dead-bolt!).

Also.. regarding the converter fan, after WFCO couldn't explain to me how the OE board 'fixed' itself going to/from them, they also refunded the charges!

Both companies seem to be standing behind their products!!! I'll now rejoin the list of 'Happy Campers'.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #12

Glad they reimbursed you for everything. Steve is going to contact them to replace our locks. Our dealer still has not been notified about recall but they have been reading up on it
SBx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBx2 View Post
Glad they reimbursed you for everything. Steve is going to contact them to replace our locks. Our dealer still has not been notified about recall but they have been reading up on it
They were really good on the replacement.. then FR sent me to them on the other part.. took a little while, but they were very nice about it!! Good luck!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #14

Followup from above post: Received the replacement parts. When I tried to remove the old ones and install the new, I could only get one of them out and had a problem installing new one. I could not get the new one to stay in.
They mentioned that if I had a problem to call them. I have tried to call and now all you get is a recording and you are to leave a message, which I did three times, and they have not returned the calls.
I went to an RV dealer and bought another lock and installed it. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #15

I left a message on the recording almost a month ago……. Still no reply ???
My guess will be, they will be out of business before the end of the year.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I left a message on the recording almost a month ago……. Still no reply ???
My guess will be, they will be out of business before the end of the year.
Crusader, would suggest giving them another call. I hit that answering machine myself, but last i called them (a week? maybe 2 ago?) got a real live person! She helped me on the switch-out problem i had.. Believe it was a different gal who submitted the claim.. and once i had email with them, excellent communications.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody9 View Post
Crusader, would suggest giving them another call. I hit that answering machine myself, but last i called them (a week? maybe 2 ago?) got a real live person! She helped me on the switch-out problem i had.. Believe it was a different gal who submitted the claim.. and once i had email with them, excellent communications.

Any chance you can PM me the email address?

My key code is on the recall list.
Thanks
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Any chance you can PM me the email address?

My key code is on the recall list.
Thanks

U've got mail! (x2)
Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #19

whj77372 - they initially balked at mine too as it wasn't on the list.. BUT...

we had a 6 week old camper on it's maiden voyage.. and 2 cats locked inside and could NOT open the (SINGLE) door .. so basically we experienced the issue described but it was in reverse (cats in/us out.. and the cat's couldn't unlock the door!!! NOR could we!)

the locksmith saved the day (on a sunday night.. late.. ).. but FCI DID stand behind things.. We'd bought additional keys (same nr) with the little LED lights in 'em.. and they matched the replacement nr to the existing (a step they really didn't have to do).. and all is well now. the key won't come out at the 9:00 position! just the 12:00! (maybe the 3 as well, it's late.. and all i know it tomorrow is Sat!)..

I'm not sure they have the right list of effected locks.. but (as was suggested to me).. nudge 'em a little politely and thing that may go a long ways.

Just my $00.02 worth. YMMV.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #20

Thanks for the heads up

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, recall, safety