Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #21
FLY4FUN

Re "downsizing"

As seniors (how this that happen so fast??), we've been "up and down" with 5 TTs over the years, settling in most recently with a 22' and compromises we can enjoy & live with. That said, the "best all around" we've owned was an all fiberglass Casita w/wet bath, custom E/W mattress, & super easy towing & comfy with full hook-ups or total boondocking most anywhere. That worked well for a number of years...but, as others have observed, making the E/W bed & crawling over each other...cramped & "wet" wet bath, limited space for stuff...and, a little close on rainy days led us to up-size. We're very happy with our 22', walk-around queen bed, sofa-slide and BIG bath...but, gotta admit that we sure miss the simplicity, easy tow, easy clean-up, easy maintenance & go-anywhere of the Cassy. There are a number of feature-rich 18' to 25' available today, comfortable towing and camping. Some are pricey and some not so much, but quality and capable towing equipment is important and worth paying for. No real revelations here, certainly, but just sharing (and, agreeing) that this ole aging process can point us in the direction of more "comfy compromise".
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaMooseP View Post
That's pretty much all we do in the camper. We cook outside. We eat outside. We spend most of our time outside.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:45 PM   #23

Trailer downsize

For us, the 27' size works well. We are able to have a North/South bed slide w/ a queen bed w/o having a Murphy bed. Also have a Mega-slide for the living rm./kitchen. We also have tween A/C, though not linked. It gives us enough individual space to sit out several days of bad weather. If I could fine the same features in a 25-26' trailer I think that would be perfect. We do travel w/ an active 50 lb. dog. I have found that we do occasionally have to plan ahead to find a space that will work in the older national parks.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #24

We're on our first TT a 19' e-pro and we love it. Our requirements were small as we could get with a dry shower and a murphy bed.
We spent last week next to a couple in a 2511 Rockwood (microlite?)
They had downsized to our exact trailer, but ended up going back up a little to the 25' so they could have a bit more room. They also had 2 slides (we have none)
They both said the 19 was just too small and they didn't like the u-shaped dining table.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #25

We just ordered a 2021 2205S from RVW and opted for the theater seating. Looks like there is plenty of room to throw grandkids on the floor with sleeping bags if they wanted to join from time to time. Great floor plan with a true queen bed. Tried to talk the factory into the twin to king bed found in the 2204S but no.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #26

Downsizing

I think the most important feature to a downsize is the size and amount of pop-outs available. The smaller TTís have really evolved with the amount of extra space and depth of the pop-outs, some with the entire length of the side, both sides and multiple slides. This creates a exceptionally large footprint in a small area providing a comfortable living space. Short, wide and efficient.
Rik in SoCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #27

Go For It !

We did not downsize, but started out with an rPod 176. Absolutely love it. Like many have said you can park it anywhere, easy to pull (~3000 lbs). We like the fact that we are not taking all sorts of crap along with us, just what we need. The rPod 176 floor plan uses space very efficiently. I would encourage you to check them out................... Bob in Grand Rapids MI
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:13 PM   #28
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well when DW passed away I thought about down sizing. After a lot of thought I went back to a 5th wheel couple of feet shorter than my tt but i do love the room for me and my 4 legged friend. I do not spend a lot of time in state parks and prefer full hook ups. I love it and would never think about smaller. I like the room my 5er provides. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-6 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
We did not downsize, but started out with an rPod 176. Absolutely love it. Like many have said you can park it anywhere, easy to pull (~3000 lbs). We like the fact that we are not taking all sorts of crap along with us, just what we need. The rPod 176 floor plan uses space very efficiently. I would encourage you to check them out................... Bob in Grand Rapids MI
Some like the 3+ slides on a monster, others prefer a cozy tent, all depends on what ya like.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:29 PM   #30

I am a 6í5Ē senior citizen and have a sunseeker 2250. Smallest class c they make. I love it and can get every where. If we need a car we rent one. The bathroom can be a pain but we took out the dinette and put in recliners with trays to eat on. Works for us
The dog is part Yorkie and part Rottweiller - figure it out!
We did the dna tests lol.
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #31
Site Team

We recently "right sized" from a Sprinter based Sunseeker Class C to a Surveyor 203RKLE (On Order). We were looking for around 25 feet, a real bathroom, and an easily accessible Queen bed.

At first we were considering a R-Pod RP-192 but the shower was a concern. The 203RKLE checked all the right boxes, and my wife is in love with the kitchen, so we changed our order. The Surveyor is advertised as a "couples trailer" and I think it will fit that description quite well.

I recently purchased a new F-150, with all the towing options, so our tow vehicle was not a concern. Hopefully our Surveyor will be here around early February.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surveyor 203RKLE-Floor plan.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	241284  
Old 10-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #32

We downsized to the Rockwood Mini Lite 2204S this spring and love it. All the creature comforts but lots smaller. https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...ite/2204S/5172
manjust55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #33

Hope so as well, enjoy RVing for many years.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #34

Wolf Pup 16QB - smallest trailer available with a walkaround queen. We might spend 1 night in 20 with hookups.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
We recently "right sized" from a Sprinter based Sunseeker Class C to a Surveyor 203RKLE (On Order). We were looking for around 25 feet, a real bathroom, and an easily accessible Queen bed.
This looks like a nice layout! Does the murphy bed allow you to have a good mattress (like many we upgraded our OEM mattress to a REAL memory foam mattress but they are thick - 8" - and heavy)?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #36

Love our small trailer!

We upsized from an R-pod 179 with wet bath and crawl-over bed to the newer 22.2' R-pod 196 with larger bathroom with shower, and walk-around bed. Also has larger fridge and electric awning. We love it!! It goes anywhere and decent mileage. We are empty-nesters, a few years from retiring and find this trailer to be perfect size. I live in it for 6 weeks in an RV park in Palm Springs in winter. No problem!
chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
This looks like a nice layout! Does the murphy bed allow you to have a good mattress (like many we upgraded our OEM mattress to a REAL memory foam mattress but they are thick - 8" - and heavy)?
Yes, many folks are using different mattresses, especially foam. I have a 3 inch topper we'll try first but if need be we have local mattress company that will make a custom mattress.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #38

My 26' with the suspension changed a little has gone wherever I want to go. If not remote enough, a tent or tarp to carry along for those 'special times'.
I did the 45 years of tents, tarps, and backpacks. I wouldn't trade for my little 26' TT, but I still use my tarp. Actually, last week I spent a few nights under it. Last month it was the TT.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #39

We too are seniors and have had our 22 foot 2012 FR Wildwood for 3 years now and itís PERFECT! The rear kitchen floor plan with two entry doors, walk around queen size bed and full bathroom is ideal for us. We have been able to go everywhere we want to with all the amenities contained. We have an uncovered short bed crew cab truck. We can take everything necessary for Boondocking (dry camping), plus bikes and kayaks with us. We added a Novaform mattress topper to our OEM Mattress and itís very comfortable. We play hard and need our comforts at night. We have plenty of storage for everything we need inside the trailer and put the outdoor stuff (generator, zero gravity chairs, pop-up canopy, propane fire pit and cooler) in the truck bed.
The only time it feels cramped is when we have our grandkids along and have to set up the jackknife sofa bed and/or dinette beds and need a place for their baggage.
SlyCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #40

Well, you do have the "stuff" NJOY!