Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #1

Smile Downsizing. To Do or Not To Do

Hello, fellow campers. I have a question and am looking for ideas, opinions, and experiences. My wife and I own a 35ft Flagstaff Travel Trailer. We love camping with it and are currently on our way home from 9 weeks in the mid-west. We had taken some off-roads in the National Forests out there that took you to some campgrounds that were in beautiful locations, although with no amenities. Basically dry camping. However, the roads are rutted, rough, and there would be no way of pulling our current RV into the backwoods. We started throwing the idea around of downsizing to something along the line of an R-POD, say around a 20 footer. Something much smaller, easier to tow, much easier to fit into smaller places, and basically just overall give us the chance to camp in places that we currently cannot get to. Our dilemma is that we are senior citizens, although in good health, but we enjoy our "comforts," as it were. We understand there would be trade-offs as to what we are gaining vs giving up. Now, we have comfort and size, but are limited as to where we can go with it. With the other, we could go to many more places to camp, but wold be giving up room and some amenities. So, my question is this: Has anyone ever downsized their RV for the express purpose of being able to use it for the reasons listed above and if so, were they happy with their decision and was it much of an adjustment in "camping style" to do so? Will appreciate any and all replies and ideas on this. We love how we camp now and what we camp in, but we also would like to "expand" our capabilities somewhat by camping in other areas not now accessible. Thanks again for all the suggestions. HAPPY CAMPING!!
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #2

Two years ago we downsized from a 37' 5th wheel to an SOB travel trailer very similar to the R-Pod line. We loved our 5th wheel with all the amenities but like you wanted to get into some places we couldn't with the 5th wheel. We were thrilled with the smaller camper at first, it caused us to purge alot of unnecessary stuff, and at 20' we could get to, and fit anywhere. It had an east/west bed and being senior citizens DW got a little tired of crawling over me in the middle of the night to use the wet bath. After 2 years in the smaller camper the camper queen east/west bed and wet bath started getting to us. We decided to go a little larger and looked at campers no more than 5' larger, north/south walk around full queen bed, and regular bath. When we walked into a Flagstaff MicroLite 22FBS we found what we were looking for. My point is think long and hard about the small size and limited space of a much smaller camper. IMHO R-Pod type campers are nice and offer alot to like, just not at our age . Good luck with your decision.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We haven't downsized yet, but are considering it in the next year or so. While our TT is not as long as yours, and we also are "seniors", and want our comforts. We were looking at something in the neighborhood of 22 ft, and like the MinnieWinnie. Still reasonable quality, a little pricey, but easier to tow and maneuver.

I think with a smaller unit, you don't have to deal with WDH, which to me is a project to get it hooked and unhooked.

Now we don't go out for extended times, perhaps a 1 - 2 weeks at a time, and we're outdoorsy, using the trailer for a base camp (so to speak) and using it for sleeping, and staying out of the rain. We're not television fans so having a lot of space and amenities is not all that important. We have been avid backpackers in our youth, making by with what we could carry on our backs for 2 weeks.

Everyone's needs and wants are different, why not consider renting a smaller unit for a trip and see how that fits your camping lifestyle?

Good luck with your choice.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #4

My wife and I could have written any one of these posts, especially the first one. We absolutely love our fiver, but thinking along the same lines as you guys. Looked at an iPOD, but a little too small. We were thinking 20', but maybe 22 is going to be better. We'll be watching this post closely!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #5

downsizing

We also want to downsize after 2021 season We've gone from 37' Rockwood to 26 last year but like the first post, we want to go more places, more often. Our trailers were good for longer stays which we never did, two to 3 weeks other than long weekends, and not worth setting it all up for two night weekends. When the new stock of trailers arrives we will check out what size we want to pull as selling our 2500HD truck too!
So will be following this post also.
Woodfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #6

My advice, rent before buying to make sure you will be happy with your selection. We too are thinking of down sizing. We have a 36’ Cardinal 5th wheel and are considering a 30’ Class-A. Main reason is the steps getting into the 5th wheel snd the steeps getting from the living area to the bath/bed rooms. Additionally we don’t like the ride our new Ram 3500 provides. Our 2005 F-350 was much more comfortable.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #7

We made the switch to a smaller TT in 2012 from a 30 ft. Award to the 21 ft. Rockwood MiniLite 2109S and just replaced it with a new 2021. DW felt the same about the bed and this floor plan was perfect. An alternative is the 2205S which adds a closet and an electric fireplace. We looked at this one at RVW when we went to pickup our new TT and would probably chose it over the 2109S. Maybe next time.

Our camping is state and national parks which the 30ft. limited us to only a few sites. No problems fitting in our 2109S. We have since added kayaks and bicycles to our camping load.

https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/t...wood-mini-lite
Old 10-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
We haven't downsized yet, but are considering it in the next year or so. While our TT is not as long as yours, and we also are "seniors", and want our comforts. We were looking at something in the neighborhood of 22 ft, and like the MinnieWinnie. Still reasonable quality, a little pricey, but easier to tow and maneuver.

I think with a smaller unit, you don't have to deal with WDH, which to me is a project to get it hooked and unhooked.

Now we don't go out for extended times, perhaps a 1 - 2 weeks at a time, and we're outdoorsy, using the trailer for a base camp (so to speak) and using it for sleeping, and staying out of the rain. We're not television fans so having a lot of space and amenities is not all that important. We have been avid backpackers in our youth, making by with what we could carry on our backs for 2 weeks.

Everyone's needs and wants are different, why not consider renting a smaller unit for a trip and see how that fits your camping lifestyle?

Good luck with your choice.
FYI: I had a 20-foot Surveyor that I would not have considered towing without a WDH. Maybe it was overkill. Just wanted to mention it. Towed with half-ton.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
FYI: I had a 20-foot Surveyor that I would not have considered towing without a WDH. Maybe it was overkill. Just wanted to mention it. Towed with half-ton.
Hmmmm, thanks for the insight. Certainly worth the consideration.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #10

I can remember my great-uncle - about 60 years ago - towing an Airstream trailer behind his car. He had several Airstreams over the years from a 19-foot to a 22-foot - and of course the cars were considerably larger - but he didn't use anything more than a regular trailer hitch as far as I know. When we bought our TT we considered an Airstream, but traveling with kids and a dog it seemed like it would be a little cramped. They certainly have TTs that would be worth looking at.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #11
PhD, Common Sense

Definitely rent a TT like the one you are considering to see if you can live in the smaller space.

I personally recommend r-pods!

Don’t forget to consider the r-dome. We basically explode into that space after arrival. The dome more than doubles your living space.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #12

We went from a 29' TT to the 2205 mainly so we could get in more places. Good decision for us, we spend little time in hookups and it works great for us. No regrets, TT has everything we want and with a small portable Solar suitcase we can camp for extended periods. .
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #13

You better walk around a smaller one, you thinks this is OK, no it ain't, go to small,(down to 20') you will not be happy. JMHO
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #14

Down sizing

We are looking to down size also. Our Oasis 26 26rl is just shy of 33'. We love the camper but are limited on sites.We have been looking around the 24' mark.we have found a few that we like.just waiting dealers stock to start to come in. It is only 2 of us and a corgi.
PaPaMooseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #15

Our 30' SOB was great, but too big for our situation. We went to an Rpod 179. The east west bed was a bit short for me and inconvenient for my wife. She really didn't like the wet bath. We saw and bought the 195. The extra couple feet are nice, the island bed works well, the bath with counter space is comfortable, the kitchen and pantry serve us well as does the larger fridge. The biggest draw back is the thin padding in the 'couch.' We are working on that with a local upholstery shop. We both like the versatility of the smaller unit. Take a close look at all the smaller units before buying one. There is a difference in construction and features that make up for the lack of space. Good luck.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #16

I agree. Going to 20 hurts. Just not enough space (storage, movement, capacity) OK for short trips but not for long trips. If you want something small, look at a small class C on a Mercedes chassis. Lots of option no but it's a lot more money than a trailer. Subtract the truck and maybe not so much more.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #17

We started small and decided it was too small after 2 years. It was a 24 foot trailer.

As it turned out the biggest problems were the seating and the bathroom. The U shaped dinette was absolutely not a substitute for a recliner or sofa. Having some issues with bad joints and such it was no fun. At night the TV viewing angle was all wrong and really killed my neck.

The bathroom was ridiculously small for my 6'3.

I understand the desire to get to remote sites. I have always enjoyed 4X4 and exploring the "outback". Better to camp in comfort and drive to the remote stuff in the day. Return to the comfort at night.

Our new "couples" size trailer is perfect.

Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaMooseP View Post
We are looking to down size also. Our Oasis 26 26rl is just shy of 33'. We love the camper but are limited on sites.We have been looking around the 24' mark.we have found a few that we like.just waiting dealers stock to start to come in. It is only 2 of us and a corgi.
Really hard to go down when you have been in something bigger, Me, I would never go smaller than the 24' unless all your going to do is sleep in it.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Really hard to go down when you have been in something bigger, Me, I would never go smaller than the 24' unless all your going to do is sleep in it.
That's pretty much all we do in the camper. We cook outside. We eat outside. We spend most of our time outside.
PaPaMooseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #20

Smaller

We just got (or are waiting for) a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 2604SW (discontinued model). It seems to have everythingwe wanted for the two of us.
jimbuck is offline   Reply With Quote