Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 363
Driving with LP on???????

Hi folks, just wondering how many folks drive down the road with the propane on? I do to keep the fridge cooler than the DC would.
(Now I know you aren't supposed too do it, I am wondering how many folks do it in the real world?)
Thanks in advance.
Jack
__________________
2018 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer.

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
powerboatr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: homebase Quitman Texas at Lake Fork
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
Hi folks, just wondering how many folks drive down the road with the propane on? I do to keep the fridge cooler than the DC would.
(Now I know you aren't supposed too do it, I am wondering how many folks do it in the real world?)
Thanks in advance.
Jack
i do
and why would you be not supposed to?
been doing it that way since 96.
__________________
Living in the Piney Woods of Texas.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,136
We do as well for the fridge. Occasionally we've used the furnace as well on extremely cold trips.
__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 349
I travel with it on every trip. My fridge on has AC and propane. The popup had a choice of DC but it never kept it cool. If I have to fuel in route, I shut it off before I pull into the gas station. I restart the fridge once I am back on the road. I do try to fuel (if needed) before I hookup. I much rather pull up to the pump with just the TV, less chance of a mistake!
__________________
Kirk, KN1B
2013 Cardinal 3800FL
2009 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,522
Who said you aren't supposed to do it???
New RV refers don't even have the DC option anymore.

Pay attention to signs about shutting it off before going
thru tunnels and gassing up.

Otherwise, many of us do run with it on.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,283
Run with it on all the time. And you don't have to shut it off at gas stations. Every car that starts up is an ignition source, so what's the big deal about the fridge running?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
MrT
Senior Member
 
MrT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Where We Hook Up
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown1075 View Post
I travel with it on every trip. My fridge on has AC and propane. The popup had a choice of DC but it never kept it cool. If I have to fuel in route, I shut it off before I pull into the gas station. I restart the fridge once I am back on the road. I do try to fuel (if needed) before I hookup. I much rather pull up to the pump with just the TV, less chance of a mistake!
x2. We do it the same way.
__________________

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,555
I do and I will today. I have never turned it off at gas stations, nor did my father in all the years he was camping. Heck, the other day an idiot was smoking a cigarette while filling up. I got the heck away as fast as I could and told the store management. They immediately cut his pump off.
__________________

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mr. Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Hill, Wa
Posts: 264
If we're using it, the gas is always on. I also don't take much stock in blowing up gas stations either, although that is the main reason you are not supposed to leave gas or appliances on. You'd have a million times better chance of blowing yourself up with static. Especially those that get in and out of their cars during fill up.

As for a DC fridge? haven't seen one of those in my lifetime.

If I had a dollar for everytime I have seen someone smoking at a gas station, well, I'd have a few bucks for that too!
__________________
Steve
1999 Ford Superduty F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.
B&W goosneck/companion hitch, Airlift 5000 airbags.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
mjones12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 2,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
If we're using it, the gas is always on. I also don't take much stock in blowing up gas stations either, although that is the main reason you are not supposed to leave gas or appliances on. You'd have a million times better chance of blowing yourself up with static. Especially those that get in and out of their cars during fill up.

As for a DC fridge? haven't seen one of those in my lifetime.

If I had a dollar for everytime I have seen someone smoking at a gas station, well, I'd have a few bucks for that too!
Dometic makes a three-way fridge, and they come standard in every Casita camper. But once you turn off the tow vehicle, say at a bathroom or restaurant stop, you'll have to either turn off the fridge or unplug from the TV; otherwise you'll come back to a dead battery. As for propane, lots of campers stop at gas stations, probably most of them are burning propane and not turning it off, and I have never heard of a gas station blowing up because of it.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Apex 249 RBS
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8


The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
I Especially those that get in and out of their cars during fill up.

As for a DC fridge? haven't seen one of those in my lifetime.

If I had a dollar for everytime I have seen someone smoking at a gas station, well, I'd have a few bucks for that too!

Talking on their cell phones in front of the DO NOT USE CELL PHONES WHILE REFUELING signs.

There have been a few DC fridges on some models but they are notoriously in-efficient which is why they are few and far between.
__________________

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,522
How many of us actually shut off our cell phone when we
come to a sign-- Road Construction, Blasting Zone, shut off cell
phones!

Sheesh, you're past the area before you can get it to shut down!!
Mine takes at least 15 seconds to shut off after I dig it out
of my pocket and hold the power button.

KyDan
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
NWJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 2,615
The show Myth Busters tried to ignite gasoline using cell phones. It was hilarious watching all they went through right down to intentionally shorting the battery out inside a close container of gas. They had no luck igniting the fuel. The "No cell phones" at gas stations is an unfounded and illogical fear that has been propagated with no actual science behind it to back it up. I have actually been seeing the signs slowly disappearing from the fuel pumps about not using cell phones.

As for the propane question. I have always run with propane on to keep the fridge running. The Dometic fridge in our Georgetown when running in automatic mode will turn itself off for 15 minutes when the ignition is turned off, such as at a gas station.
__________________
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,000
A person was burn while using a cell phone at a gas station at a town that is only 1/2 hour away. I alway leave my gas on the signs say no smoking with in 10 feet of pumps the reffer on my trailer is futher away then the 10 foot mark. I would turn the gas off if the reffer was beside a gas pump where a person could be pumping gas.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
NWJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
A person was burn while using a cell phone at a gas station at a town that is only 1/2 hour away. I alway leave my gas on the signs say no smoking with in 10 feet of pumps the reffer on my trailer is futher away then the 10 foot mark. I would turn the gas off if the reffer was beside a gas pump where a person could be pumping gas.
I would more guess the person started a fire by touching the metal of the car causing a static discharge and just happend to be on the phone, pure coincidence. Again, there has been no actual scientific proof that a cell phone can cause a fire at a gas station that I can find anywhere. Only conjecture, hearsay and rumor.
__________________
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
NWJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Enumclaw, WA
Posts: 2,615
A quote from the Petroleum Equipment Institue's report on gas station fires:

The PEI report did not blame any of the fires on cell phones. Although some gas companies and cell phone manufacturers say cell phones should not be used at gas stations, there have been no gasoline fires or explosions that anybody knows of caused by radio transmissions from cell phones.
__________________
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Mr. Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Hill, Wa
Posts: 264
I concur Ed. To the best of my knowledge a cell phone has never sparked a fire.

Now causing radio interference (EMI) is another story.

Static is the evil of fuels.
__________________
Steve
1999 Ford Superduty F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.
B&W goosneck/companion hitch, Airlift 5000 airbags.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 363
Hi folks, thanks for all of the replies.
I thought that most ran with the propane on...it looks like EVERYONE that replied does.
Jack
__________________
2018 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer.

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
milzat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Posts: 1,923
I'm with the majority that run with the LP gas ON.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Stinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
The show Myth Busters tried to ignite gasoline using cell phones. It was hilarious watching all they went through right down to intentionally shorting the battery out inside a close container of gas. They had no luck igniting the fuel. The "No cell phones" at gas stations is an unfounded and illogical fear that has been propagated with no actual science behind it to back it up. I have actually been seeing the signs slowly disappearing from the fuel pumps about not using cell phones.

As for the propane question. I have always run with propane on to keep the fridge running. The Dometic fridge in our Georgetown when running in automatic mode will turn itself off for 15 minutes when the ignition is turned off, such as at a gas station.
The turn off feature works great. Is it supposed to turn back on after 15 minutes. Mine does not and has caused problems when I forgot to do it myself!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.