Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

Dual ACs on 30amp service

If my camper has dual acs, am I still able to run one of them on 30 amp service? Or am I basically out of luck without 50amp? Anybody done anything unique to get around this?
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #2

Basically, running one a/c is never a problem with 30 amp service. I have occasionally run both of my a/c on 30 amp service, but you have to insure every other appliance that draws more amps than your lights remains off. This would include microwave, electric water heater, fireplace, furnace fan, electric fridge, furnace fans, hair dryer, etc. You get the gist.
I have always been able to run the majority of my fifth wheel on 30 amp service as long as I only run one a/c. That includes my water heater and fridge both set on electric.

The big advantage to being on a true 50 anp rv service (which is really a total of 100 amps) is that you can almost always run everything at the same time. All a/c, microwave, coffee pot, etc.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #3

Installing soft starters on them would probably help quite a bit with the initial inrush of current.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #4

We have a 50 amp unit and do it alll the time at state campgrounds.

You need an rv set up for minimum ac thou. Ours is. We can use gas water heater, gas oven, gas fridge.

The DW has the load shedding thing all figured out. Only two big users at a time. The ac units. the clothes dryer, coffee pot, the microwave, the convection oven.

The DW has never overloaded circuits on a 30 amp system. She blew the breaker once in Houston on a 105 degree day. But, never the 30 amp. Even washes clothes.

Our camping is mostly in the Midwest where ac is extremely important.

If we can do it, anyone can.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #5

Dual A/c on 30 Amp

Do you have a power management system in your rig? If so it will know what service you have and shed loads on a priority basis. My last motorhome knew if it was plugged into 50 or 30 amp automatically. If is was less than 30 amp you had to tell it. My current rig automatically know 15,20,30 or 50 and the power management system takes it from there.
G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #6

A tech at Camping World told me to start one a/c and let it run for a few minutes. Then turn on the 2nd unit. He said the start up put the greatest load on the system.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #7

Yes I have a power management system. The DW! Never fails.

I am a fan of the KISS principle.

Over the last two years the DW and i figured it out. Our EMS does display the loads on each of the two circuits to help her out at first.

When we arrive at a site i plug in the rv asap. The converter is often running drawing a lot. The highest setting never runs more than a half hour. We can hear the fan in the kitchen.

Then she turns the front ac off with the breaker. Turns on the back unit. Obviously the water heater and fridge are on gas. Cocktail time until the rv cools and the converter slows down. We have a Bluetooth voltmeter so we can watch the batteries.

Then she turns on the front ac. You do not want them to start together. As they are set at different temperatures they generally will not start together.

Then to use the dryer, convection oven or coffee pot one at a time. Often after 8:00 as it cools it is no big deal.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #8

I can run both my AC units on a 30 amp if I have the fans on low. If I switch either to high it will pop the breaker at the pole
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #9

Search the various forums for the spec sheet that shows the average amp draw for each appliance. A/C's typically draw around 15a.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
A tech at Camping World told me to start one a/c and let it run for a few minutes. Then turn on the 2nd unit. He said the start up put the greatest load on the system.
This should work if nothing else is using 120VAC, the problem is that after the initial start up, how do you control subsequent start-ups so they are staggered.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #11

Yes, you can run 1 AC on 30 amps. I have run a 15k and 13.5k on a 30 amp service without an issue with everything else off. Then once cooled down, turned the 13.5k off.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service