Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What do you think about double pane windows?
Have them and like them 13 22.81%
Have them and don't like them 3 5.26%
Don't have them but want them/need them 14 24.56%
Don't have them and don't want them/need them 17 29.82%
No opinion or not sure 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Dual Pane Windows

When I decided to look for a new coach, true to the Engineer I am, I did a lot of research. I researched makes, models, reputations, costs, floor plans, sizes, weights, capacities, engines, chassis, and so forth. I considered convenience, reliability and experience, as well as trust, in selecting a dealer for service, which also affected my choice of brands. I considered what I could fit into my driveway, my street and my neighborhood. When I finally decided on a particular make and model, I researched options. I based my decisions on my 19 years with my old unit, my experiences, what I liked, what I didn't like, what I purchased for it, what I would have liked to purchase, and what I would have liked to have if I were starting over, which I am. I also considered when and where I camp, including typical heat, cold, noise, parking/leveling and privacy issues, as well as driving and backing experiences, sleeping options, visibility, my pets, and finally comments from members of forums like this one. One of the options I considered long and hard was dual pane windows. I ultimately decided that, for the types of camping that I did, and what benefits I might gain from them, for me (and I emphasize that's for me), the cost just didn't justify them. What struck me (but certainly didn't surprise me), however, were the sheer numbers of threads and posts on the subject, with a wide range of opinions, pro and con. I haven't seen a poll on the subject, however and so, just out of sheer curiosity (No, I don't have any cats ) I thought I would try one. I am starting with 5 choices (including don't know/no opinion), but please let me know if I should add any others (and please, no nasty comments; remember, this is each person's opinion/experience, and your experience may vary).

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #2

Hello,

I have had dual pane in two of my past motorhomes, a 99 Bounder and a 05 Alfa. Had problems with them fogging up between the glass panes, what a pain to fix (no pun intended).

When I purchased my new 2010 Cross Country motorhome I was very pleased to see that dual panes were a option, and not installed on my rig.

For what it's worth,I have camped twice with it in the cold so far, I can tell no difference.
smackey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #3

We've had them on 4 of our last 5 RV's. They have a better insulation value, so they help reduce condensation in colder weather, help reduce heat gain, plus they cut down on noise from the outside. We did have one go bad and found out that the window manufacture had a 3 year warranty and replaced it. No problem.

It's an option that I will get on any RV we have.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #4

Ordered storm windows with our 2902SS last spring, none of the windows fit the unit so Forest River sent us a refund.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #5

This is our third trailer, and we had the dual pane windows added to the Wildcat. I can say without a doubt that this trailer has about 90% less condinsation than either of the two trailers before it. So if it turns out that the dual pane windows help with this then they are working great. I also find that this trailer keeps a more steady temperature inside. Maybe its just insulated better than my last two or the windows are helping on that front also.
Just my thoughts,

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #6

What a "West Coast Model"?
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #7

Jim, it's basically the difference between the Wildcat built in I think it's Ohio (east coast) and the ones built in Oregon (west coast version).

In a nutshell on the west coast version they come standard with 6000 lbs axles 16" wheels as opposed to the east coast version coming standard with5200 lbs axles and 15" wheels.

There are few more cosmetic differences between the two also both inside and outside, nothing really to big though.

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #8

Where we live in Canada, dual pane windows should be mandatory. It keeps the windows from fogging up when you start the furnace on those cool fall and spring mornings. Also a must if you travel from Saskatchewan to a warmer place in the winter. Without them, all the windows except the windshield will be completely frosted over.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #9

I live full time in my Cedar Creek 5th wheel, and we get wide variations in temps in these neck of Texas. I have lots of mornings when there is a lot of condensation on the windows. I would like to have double panes to help with the insulation factor to cut down on the costs of propane (heating) or electric (air conditioning). Seems like we usually need one or the other all the time. Can't say as they would help me much in the noise reduction factor...nature already did that for me - not much of my hearing left to reduce!!!!
Campingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote